DS has problems with food allergies and environmental allergies. A cold goes immediately to his lungs, and we often end up on an oral steroid to break the cycle of coughing and wheezing.
He're what I recently posted to the allergy chat thread --
|...He got a slight cold, went to his lungs, had oral steroids. Lessened a little, but the coughing and wheezing continued, despite me trying to analyze everything we ate. [2 weeks of continued inhaled steroid use, several times a night and often during the day...]
And then we turned on the humidifier. NO nebulizer needed! No waking up coughing! the first night was very good. the second night - even better! As easy as that...We're looking into a whole-house humidifier (~$450).
It's a cool mist humidifier. We turn it on in DS' bedroom when he starts his bath. He starts the night out alone, and I join him later. We leave it on all night. The one time he came to join us in our bedroom, he woke up coughing after 2.5 hours. Back into his room, and it cleared right up.
In the past (last winter), I've put in euclyptus oil or TTO. DH says he can still smell it (and that it gives him a headache). I'm the one with a super-sensitive sense of smell, and I can no longer detect it. Because it is giving DS relief without any additives, I'm keeping it that way for now.
I have cleaned the reservoir with bleach - before I put it away for the summer season. It is a style that apparently does not allow bacteria to form. (but I still would like to clean it, and use a drop of TTO once in a while).
He has been sleeping better these past 5 nights than he has in months (ever?). He even nurses less at night...just keeps right on sleeping. He's even put himself back to sleep (as long as he doesn't rouse too much). I don't even think he nursed on both sides last night. (he's 26 mos, and we co-sleep, nursing through the night)