or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Homebirth in Alaska ?

post #1 of 34
Thread Starter 
DH is considering becoming an Alaska State Trooper and I'm a student Midwife so I'm interested in midwifery/homebirth in that state. I obviously have no idea where we would end up, but it's good to know ahead of time.
post #2 of 34
Alaska has a very vibrant midwife community here! Wasilla and Palmer in particular have a lot of homebirthing midwives and many many ladies in the "valley" have out of hospital births!

Currently I know that Via Vita Midwifery program is accepted here as a distance learning program for those wanting to become certified.

Also check out the Alaska Birth Network in my siggy. Look at the provider guide for a list of some of our local midwives.
post #3 of 34
That's good to know. I'm moving to Anc in 20 days. I have had two wonderful births with two different midwives in two different states. Looking to make it three in three different states!! I will be seeing you at the NEtwork!!

Sue
post #4 of 34
fairbanks has a pretty good midwife group here too. there are several 'approved' training programs sot hat probably wont be a problem. Who are you working through now? Laws for midwifery require licencing for working (or you know the student / trainer thing) and are pretty good... anything 'high risk' normally midwives can't attend but all low risk is possible.

with him becoming a trooper you may end up somewhere smaller but there are plenty of midwives in ak who would be happy to point you int he right direction.
post #5 of 34
Thread Starter 
I see that licensure is required in AK, but what about CPM's delivering breech, VBAC, twins, ect. I read the regulations for licensure in AK and it's not good for how I want to run my practice open to all women. A CDM in AK cannot deliver a mom where there's PROM (water breaking) for more than 24hrs, before 37wks or after 42wks.

What do preggo mamas do when they want to have a VBAC at home or breech or go over 42wks. ? Do they seek out a non-licensed midwife? Thank you for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
fairbanks has a pretty good midwife group here too. there are several 'approved' training programs sot hat probably wont be a problem. Who are you working through now? Laws for midwifery require licencing for working (or you know the student / trainer thing) and are pretty good... anything 'high risk' normally midwives can't attend but all low risk is possible.

with him becoming a trooper you may end up somewhere smaller but there are plenty of midwives in ak who would be happy to point you int he right direction.
post #6 of 34
We so desperately need a midwife in Kodiak! Come here, come here!
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by grcelizabeth View Post
I see that licensure is required in AK, but what about CPM's delivering breech, VBAC, twins, ect. I read the regulations for licensure in AK and it's not good for how I want to run my practice open to all women. A CDM in AK cannot deliver a mom where there's PROM (water breaking) for more than 24hrs, before 37wks or after 42wks.

What do preggo mamas do when they want to have a VBAC at home or breech or go over 42wks. ? Do they seek out a non-licensed midwife? Thank you for your help.
Yes, the regulations in AK are rather restrictive and that is something I personally am very interested in changing (I am a VBACer)

I know there are a few traveling midwives in AK and from other states that will come to women for VBACs or other "high" risk pregnancies.

I would suspect the AK midwives that attend these are not licenced.

CNM's can do VBACs and the ones here in Anchorage that work at Geneva Woods birthing center will take on one VBAC client a month.
post #8 of 34
I am planning a homebirth in Anchorage with a midwife as well.

Twin homebirth is illegal (well, my midwife said something about unless it is "surprise" twins)

I had an early ultrasound to make sure there was only one in there before I switched care providers though just in case.
post #9 of 34
I agree that CPM's are restricted here, and I wish they could do more, but I also think we are pretty lucky up here. We have really good support from consumers, a great midwife community, and, while there have been some bad experiences, we actually have pretty good support from the larger medical system. The mw I am apprenticing with, and she's been a midwife up here since 1992, has not had a bad transfer experience and is happy with the support she gets from the medical system.

For those who do want to VBAC or twins or breech, get a traveling midwife. I know of one unlicensed mw in Alaska who will travel around the state for women. What is unfortunate is that few people know about her, obviously, so many of those who would like a homebirth for "high risk" pg, may not know about her. I was one of those, and I wish I had known of her. Anyway, so if you chose to go unlicensed, you would probably get plenty of business with VBAC's alone...
post #10 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
I agree that CPM's are restricted here, and I wish they could do more, but I also think we are pretty lucky up here. We have really good support from consumers, a great midwife community, and, while there have been some bad experiences, we actually have pretty good support from the larger medical system. The mw I am apprenticing with, and she's been a midwife up here since 1992, has not had a bad transfer experience and is happy with the support she gets from the medical system.
So does this mean you're not apprenticing with the womon we discussed at your house? Because I certainly had a bad transfer experience with her, and I know of others who did too.
post #11 of 34
No, we had an opportunity come up in Anchorage and made a snap decision to move there.


I am apprenticing with Chinmayo Forro, and I adore her.
post #12 of 34
Thats awesome Mistee... I've heard good things about Chinmayo. Cheers!
post #13 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
That's good to know. I'm moving to Anc in 20 days. I have had two wonderful births with two different midwives in two different states. Looking to make it three in three different states!! I will be seeing you at the NEtwork!!

Sue


And thanks Lisa!
post #14 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post

I am apprenticing with Chinmayo Forro, and I adore her.
Cool! Will you still be apprenticing in June? I will have my first appt with Chinmayo on the 22nd and hoping to homebirth with her for summer solstice!

Ha ha I might actually get to meet another mdc mama irl!
post #15 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Cool! Will you still be apprenticing in June? I will have my first appt with Chinmayo on the 22nd and hoping to homebirth with her for summer solstice!

Ha ha I might actually get to meet another mdc mama irl!
I sure hope I'm still with her in June! I'm just starting my apprenticeship, I've got years to go. Cool, I will see you on the 22nd then!
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Mom View Post
I agree that CPM's are restricted here, and I wish they could do more, but I also think we are pretty lucky up here. We have really good support from consumers, a great midwife community, and, while there have been some bad experiences, we actually have pretty good support from the larger medical system. The mw I am apprenticing with, and she's been a midwife up here since 1992, has not had a bad transfer experience and is happy with the support she gets from the medical system.

For those who do want to VBAC or twins or breech, get a traveling midwife. I know of one unlicensed mw in Alaska who will travel around the state for women. What is unfortunate is that few people know about her, obviously, so many of those who would like a homebirth for "high risk" pg, may not know about her. I was one of those, and I wish I had known of her. Anyway, so if you chose to go unlicensed, you would probably get plenty of business with VBAC's alone...
Tell me about it! I have spent 10 years looking for that elusive Traveling Midwife for a VBAC. And I heard of her just 1 week ago today. I just hope to get the opportunity to have another VBAC. If I do, I might hire her!
post #17 of 34
Speaking of traveling midwives. I just got word that another Alaskan has had a successful HBAC!
post #18 of 34
Juneau has a decent homebirth/natural birth community. I think the birth center has 2 midwives plus apprentices, and I'm on the mailing list for the doula group (I live elsewhere but got my training there).

Ketchikan just lost its only HB midwife, so we'd LOVE one here!
post #19 of 34
Look at that M and E! Career opportunities in Kodiak and Ketchikan!
post #20 of 34
Ha ha! While I love Kodiak, quite beautiful, and my style...I really need to be able to drive. Otherwise I get very antsy. Homer was bad enough. Never been the KTN, but same problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii