or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Friend's son wears dresses.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Friend's son wears dresses. - Page 2

post #21 of 63
I think it's cute. I have seen many a three year old in some wild stuff. A previous neighbor had a girl that would either wear underwear or pants, never both. So, she was frequently in just underwear. 3 is the time where you should be able to wear whatever you feel like.

I'm going to say that I wouldn't "let" my son wear a dress in public because we don't have any! I don't even think I own one. If he was interested in dresses I would get him a kilt style one. We are Scottish anyways.

His uncle (my BIL) wore one to our wedding!
post #22 of 63
Good for them
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicianDad View Post
I doubt anyone in town gets uncomfortable because a 3 year old girl wears pants.
:

It's ridiculous that girls can wear anything but boys are supposed to limit themselves to wearing 50% of the available clothing.
post #24 of 63
I wouldn't say anything. It is not a problem. If people have a problem with it....it is their problem and they can deal with it.
post #25 of 63
i think that if the kid wants to wear a dress, he should wear a dress. and if others object to boys in dresses, then they are probably free to dress as they wish and move on with their lives. really.
post #26 of 63
Eventually people will just stop noticing. Especially if it's a small community, everyone will just stop wondering because they will be used to it.

Everything new or different takes a while for people to get comfortable with, so she probably just doesn't care. They'll get over it.

He will just be the kid who marches to the beat of his own drum. It's great!
post #27 of 63
no big dealio.
post #28 of 63
It's not a problem. The only reason I don't let ds2 go out in a dress is because it bothers dh. DS2 did go to a birthday party in our complex this summer wearing a dress. We got invited over for cake at the last minute, and ds2 happened to be wearing one of dd1's dresses...a Disney Princess dress, in fact. I had no problem with it.
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleanani View Post
I agree with the PP - if it's the boy's choice, then fine! If it's mom's choice (which I find hard to believe) then it's a bit different.
.)
Exactly this. Couldn't agree more.
post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chfriend View Post
I really need to convince my husband to wear one of those.
post #31 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenivere View Post
I really need to convince my husband to wear one of those.
Ditto!

And kudos to the mother for letting her boy wear what he wants to, despite other people's backwards thinking.
post #32 of 63
Wow. That's a tough one.

On the one hand, if he is gender queer - it's awesome that she is supporting him from the gate. On the other hand, if this is a phase he's going through - small towns have long memories. I don't think it's about the townspeople's current discomfort, but her DS's future discomfort. I don't know. I would probably not have my own child cross dress in public in a small town until I really knew this was a long term thing for him.
post #33 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineJ View Post
Until either WW1 or WW2 (too tired to recall which right now) boys were commonly dressed in dresses until the age of 5 - and pink was one of the colors they wore. I don't see an issue here.
I have a picture of my grandfather in a lovely white dress . Taken around 1909, when he was 3.
post #34 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
Wow. That's a tough one.

On the one hand, if he is gender queer - it's awesome that she is supporting him from the gate. On the other hand, if this is a phase he's going through - small towns have long memories. I don't think it's about the townspeople's current discomfort, but her DS's future discomfort. I don't know. I would probably not have my own child cross dress in public in a small town until I really knew this was a long term thing for him.
I find the fact that we live in a society where someone can even say "cross dress" about a 3 year old and keep a straight face really...sad. If I were really concerned about people's long-term memory of my 3 year old son wearing dresses, I'd be more likely to consider moving away than forcing him to wear "boy clothes".
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
I have a picture of my grandfather in a lovely white dress . Taken around 1909, when he was 3.
Yeah...there are a lot of things about that time period I wouldn't want to go back to, but they did seem to have a better grasp on the idea that children aren't adults, and don't perceive the world through adult filters.
post #36 of 63
Now that I think about it...

If my three year old son wore skirts/dresses, he wouldn't have to take off his pants to pee, and if he didn't take off his pants to pee (and actively neglect to put them back on), we might actually be able to keep him clothed. *ponder*
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I find the fact that we live in a society where someone can even say "cross dress" about a 3 year old and keep a straight face really...sad. If I were really concerned about people's long-term memory of my 3 year old son wearing dresses, I'd be more likely to consider moving away than forcing him to wear "boy clothes".
ITA. A three year old boy in a dress isn't cross-dressing, is it? Of course not.

We just moved from a small town not unlike what the OP was referring to, and I can see how something out of the ordinary would cause a kerfluffle. But I would never let my child change who she/he is in order to appease the villagers.

It's not the OP's friend's issue or the child's issue. Sounds like they are doing just fine.
post #38 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
Now that I think about it...

If my three year old son wore skirts/dresses, he wouldn't have to take off his pants to pee, and if he didn't take off his pants to pee (and actively neglect to put them back on), we might actually be able to keep him clothed. *ponder*
That might be why both sexes wore dresses for so long, now that I think about it!
post #39 of 63
When YoungSon was 4 or so he found a lovely women's vest - black cotton, embroidered with turquoise and pink floral designs. Clearly feminine, it looked like it came from India or Pakistan perhaps. He wore that all day every day for about 3 years. At first kids teased him, after a while, they got used to it. When we moved it was misplaced. We found it last year (he's 13) and while it no longer fits, it hangs in a place of honor on his bedpost.

My boy seems pretty straight, although it is to early to say for sure. He certainly dresses quite mainstream, and the flowery vest did not have a lasting impact. I love that he still makes his own choices, somewhat oblivious to peer pressure, at least on a 13 year old scale.
post #40 of 63
I certainly don't care if other people are uncomfortable with the fact that my son has very long beautiful blonde hair.
If he wanted to wear a dress - thats up to him as well!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Friend's son wears dresses.