or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V

post #1 of 1072
Thread Starter 
From this weekend:

I was saying that I can't have milk and this guy (we'll call him D) says, "You know that none of that gets passed through your breastmilk, right?" I just stared and said, "He gets a rash when I have milk." and he looked surprised.

He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
post #2 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
From this weekend:

I was saying that I can't have milk and this guy (we'll call him D) says, "You know that none of that gets passed through your breastmilk, right?" I just stared and said, "He gets a rash when I have milk." and he looked surprised.

He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
I love how random men are experts on the female body. Ever have a breastfeeding question, ask a guy on the street!

When DD was still not SSTN (which was until 15 mo), my MIL loved to repeatedly tell of how she cured my husband, her son, of crying at night by letting him cry alone in his crib until he vomited. That fixed him!

Yeah, and maybe that's why he's still emotionally distant from her.
post #3 of 1072
ah... part five and people are still getting horrible parenting advice. There is constancy in this world!
post #4 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
: Maybe he's confusing teething on hard objects with "eating solids"? If the conversation comes up again, tell him you give him plenty of solids to chew on, but are waiting to give him complementary foods.
post #5 of 1072
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriket View Post
ah... part five and people are still getting horrible parenting advice. There is constancy in this world!
I had actually gone a while without bad advice...and I realized it was because I hadn't really GONE anywhere :P
post #6 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
From this weekend:



He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.

I mean, I guess if I was going to give my 6mo pistachios or something... otherwise, I don't think they're really deprived.
post #7 of 1072
From a recent party:

Friend: When did you wean DS? I think I might need to wean my DS (8mo).
Me: 19 mo. I would have gone to 2, but I just couldn't make it through my pregnancy.
Friend: Wow, you can make milk that long?
post #8 of 1072
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.
.
The longer I can go without getting broken skin during a bite the better,thank you!
post #9 of 1072

Most things people say...

Are nonsense.
Once you keep this fact in mind, your life will be
much easier.
post #10 of 1072
my daughter still doesnt have teeth yet at 13 months, MIL is VERY concerned that there is definitely something wrong with her. never mind that i didnt get teeth until 15 months, the same time my mom and grandma popped their first teeth. i guess nothing about my child could possibly resemble anything from MY side of the family!
post #11 of 1072
post #12 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
I had actually gone a while without bad advice...and I realized it was because I hadn't really GONE anywhere :P
so true but thanks to the great www, advice is able to be giving online as well!
post #13 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
The longer I can go without getting broken skin during a bite the better,thank you!
actually, once the front teeth broke through, she stopped wanting to try to teethe on me.
post #14 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackies Ladybug View Post
my daughter still doesnt have teeth yet at 13 months, MIL is VERY concerned that there is definitely something wrong with her. never mind that i didnt get teeth until 15 months, the same time my mom and grandma popped their first teeth. i guess nothing about my child could possibly resemble anything from MY side of the family!
When dh's cousin was a year old and still had no teeth, a nice ped asked the parents 'Have you ever seen a person who never grew any teeth?'

This calmed them.
post #15 of 1072
Hilarious thread! I guess you don't get teeth until you prove to them that you need them then, eh?

I think my favorite "advice" was that my kids are going to die of polio since I'm not vaccinating them. Because death by polio is really, really common! I also get told roughly 30-40 times per pregnancy that if I have a VBAC, my uterus will rupture and I will die, FOR SURE. Lol. Oookkkay.
post #16 of 1072
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."

He didn't say anything else about it after that.
post #17 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litcrit View Post
When dh's cousin was a year old and still had no teeth, a nice ped asked the parents 'Have you ever seen a person who never grew any teeth?'

This calmed them.
Shirley Temple never got her secondary teeth, but that's a completely different thing.
post #18 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."
post #19 of 1072
I was at a playground w/ a good friend recently our dd's, both 21 months were hanging out and playing. We were chatting and her 6 month old dd was in her car seat watching everything.

The woman sitting next to us said many many dumb things in the 15 min we were there before she left. This was my favorite.

Several of the older kids, including this woman's daughter and an older toddler boy (maybe 3 or 4 years old) had come over and were playing with my friend's 6 month old. This was fine with my friend and the baby was happy. The woman's daughter said, "Look mama we're playing with baby!" the woman's brilliant response. . .

"Oh, he dosen't want to play with the baby! He's a BOY!"

I guess that despite the fact that this little boy was in fact playing with a baby and smiling and laughing, that boys never never like babies.
post #20 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."
Awesome answer!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V