or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 2

post #21 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
He also told me that if I fed him solids he'd get teeth sooner (we're 8 months with no teeth)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
From a recent party:

Friend: When did you wean DS? I think I might need to wean my DS (8mo).
Me: 19 mo. I would have gone to 2, but I just couldn't make it through my pregnancy.
Friend: Wow, you can make milk that long?
Thanks for the laugh!
post #22 of 1072
The guy at lenscrafters this past weekend gave me a doozie. My 15 mo DD had accidentally broken my glasses, so I went to pick up a new pair.

While he's getting them all ready for me to put on, he says, "So your 15 mo broke your frames, huh? Do you spank??" I was appalled and said, "No! I don't believe in that." and he shook his head at me and raised his eyebrows and said,"You don't even have to hit that hard, just a swat on the butt is all it'll take. What if she does it again???"

I couldn't believe it. I was so angry. My daughter had no idea she did something "wrong" and honestly it was no big deal -- why on earth would hitting her solve or fix ANY of this??

As politely as I could, I said, "No I don't believe in hitting for any reason, thanks." and took my glasses and left. Ugh.
post #23 of 1072
Thread Starter 
Another from this weekend: (same guy actually)

*me changing DS's diaper*
D: Is that...
Me: Cloth diapers, yep.
D: Isnt' that expensive?
DH: Well, only at first but after the initial investment...
D: Oh, you wash them???
Me and DH: *pause and look at each other* yes...


I wanted to say, "Hell no, we're rolling in money and just throw them away after each pee!"
post #24 of 1072
Time for some Holiday Hijinks in this thread. Nothing MAJOR here but annoying nonetheless. My MIL literally poured SODA into Lily's (20 month old) mouth today. Lily ONLY drinks water, and was in the process of drinking and enjoying some when Grandma came on over and said "Here, try some pop!" I said something about oh, she's just having some water, and MIL literally said (to Lily, not me, of course) "Come on, try it! It's better!"

I don't even want her having juice, for cripe's sake, but I could tolerate some watered-down juice if it's real juice and not 90% HFSC and dye - with permission. Because things are always SO TENSE with her about food, among many other things, and it's caused problems with DP, since I'm always the bad guy saying to to candy, sugar, allergens that we've explained a million times. Seriously, how hard is it to remember that gluten/wheat is a no-no? And how obscure a fact is it that anything made with freakin' FLOUR is therefore made of wheat and therefore is not okay? I could understand if someone didn't know that soy sauce has gluten, or malt, or beer, or something much less obvious, but how many times do I have to say no to BREAD and CAKE and PASTA and flipping TRISCUITS??

Anyway, so when it came to the soda, I literally froze. DP wasn't in the room, but his little brother had the sense to say "Come on, Mom, she doesn't need soda." She replied "It's Sierra Mist. It doesn't have caffeine," (yeah, because that's the only issue) and then tried to give her more! Lily wanted nothing to do with it. Good for her, but why did she have to even have that first gulp???



DP agreed that next time I AM allowed to refuse, or he will if he's there. Because there will be a next time.
post #25 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xy View Post
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

Unfortunately, I work with this buffoon. And he is extremely arrogant and judgmental in many ways...this is just one of them, I guess.

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."
Bravo.
post #26 of 1072
Quote:
My BIL (who is DH's brother, and DH is not my kids' dad, so he is no relation to my kids) asked me (randomly and without provocation) what gives me the right to homeschool my children...?

I just looked at him and flatly said, "The Constitution."
post #27 of 1072
This Christmas from the MIL who gave DS caffinated diet soda at thanksgiving.

MIL to DS, "Do you want some fudge?"
me without thinking. (I'm getting better at asserting myself ) "Under no circumstance does that baby want fudge"
MIL "Oh, I know I was joking"

Were you joking woman? DH and I just has a conversation that you weren't allowed to hold DS if you were anywhere near anything you could feed him. He likes to eat cheese and gnaw on teething crackers, why can't you stick to those things!
post #28 of 1072
On the subject of teeth...

When my son sprouted his first two teeth at 4 months, my ex-h's grandma told me that it was not good that my son was teething so early since teeth that come in too early are no good. She also told me that it was bad he didn't cry because his lungs would never properly develop.
post #29 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by InMediasRes View Post
I don't get the big deal about teeth. I've had a lot of comments from people who seem to think it's sad when kids teethe late. My DS got his first at 11mo, and DD just got hers at almost 10mo.

I mean, I guess if I was going to give my 6mo pistachios or something... otherwise, I don't think they're really deprived.
I wish MY kids were late teethers! I have been bitten and scraped by teeth while nursing since both of my LOs were 4 months old- for extended breastfeeders, and CLW types, late teeth are a blessing!
post #30 of 1072
DH's friend told him "Your dad should be the scariest man on the earth." as advice on his relationship with DS. Luckily, my DH wants to have a GOOD relationship with our son.
post #31 of 1072
We went to my aunts house Christmas afternoon. Her place is not at all toddler friendly and DD was intrigued by the piles and piles of crap in one area and by the fan standing on the side of the table. When DD tried to remove the fan which would have fallen on top of her my aunt says, "why don't you just let her explore? That is what kids do after all. Didn't you want to touch everything when you were her age?"

My response, "I don't remember what I was doing at 19 months but I'm sure my mother would have moved me out of harms way if a fan was about to fall on me!"
post #32 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseDuperre View Post
Time for some Holiday Hijinks in this thread. Nothing MAJOR here but annoying nonetheless. My MIL literally poured SODA into Lily's (20 month old) mouth today. Lily ONLY drinks water, and was in the process of drinking and enjoying some when Grandma came on over and said "Here, try some pop!" I said something about oh, she's just having some water, and MIL literally said (to Lily, not me, of course) "Come on, try it! It's better!"

I don't even want her having juice, for cripe's sake, but I could tolerate some watered-down juice if it's real juice and not 90% HFSC and dye - with permission. Because things are always SO TENSE with her about food, among many other things, and it's caused problems with DP, since I'm always the bad guy saying to to candy, sugar, allergens that we've explained a million times. Seriously, how hard is it to remember that gluten/wheat is a no-no? And how obscure a fact is it that anything made with freakin' FLOUR is therefore made of wheat and therefore is not okay? I could understand if someone didn't know that soy sauce has gluten, or malt, or beer, or something much less obvious, but how many times do I have to say no to BREAD and CAKE and PASTA and flipping TRISCUITS??

Anyway, so when it came to the soda, I literally froze. DP wasn't in the room, but his little brother had the sense to say "Come on, Mom, she doesn't need soda." She replied "It's Sierra Mist. It doesn't have caffeine," (yeah, because that's the only issue) and then tried to give her more! Lily wanted nothing to do with it. Good for her, but why did she have to even have that first gulp???



DP agreed that next time I AM allowed to refuse, or he will if he's there. Because there will be a next time.

I still don't get why people are so perplexed by parents who choose not to give their DC juice and soda. They should be more shocked at the people who do give their kids that stuff at such a young age.

I am impressed your DD drinks water. My daughter still thinks water is for blowing bubbles but I try giving her some everyday. Sometimes she sips and sometimes she blows bubbles.
post #33 of 1072
It's been a rough time so far with DS since he's such a different baby compared to DD. I don't know if he'd be classified as "high-needs" but he's definitely needier than DD was as a baby. At Christmas dinner, I gave DS some turkey and he was thoroughly enjoying it. My MIL said to him, "You're so much happier now that you're eating REAL FOOD, aren't you?"

I was like, "As opposed to the fake stuff coming out of my breasts?"

I don't think she meant to hurt my feelings, but it did sting a bit. Probably because it's true - he does seem happier these days.
post #34 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus mum View Post
It's been a rough time so far with DS since he's such a different baby compared to DD. I don't know if he'd be classified as "high-needs" but he's definitely needier than DD was as a baby. At Christmas dinner, I gave DS some turkey and he was thoroughly enjoying it. My MIL said to him, "You're so much happier now that you're eating REAL FOOD, aren't you?"

I was like, "As opposed to the fake stuff coming out of my breasts?"

I don't think she meant to hurt my feelings, but it did sting a bit. Probably because it's true - he does seem happier these days.
Aw, don't take her comment to heart. He's probably just happier because he's older. He's 9 mo now? That's a common age for babies to start to understand and accept the world that they're living in.

I've gotten that "real food" comment from lots of people too. I think they just mean table food.
post #35 of 1072
On the water topic, my ILs seem to think my DS will explode or something if they're not actively forcing water on him all the time. Yeah, he needs to stay hydrated, but he doesn't need 6 GLASSES OF WATER AN HOUR BEFORE BED TIME! Next time I will have THEM come change the sheets TWICE in the middle of the night.
post #36 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibiscus mum View Post
It's been a rough time so far with DS since he's such a different baby compared to DD. I don't know if he'd be classified as "high-needs" but he's definitely needier than DD was as a baby. At Christmas dinner, I gave DS some turkey and he was thoroughly enjoying it. My MIL said to him, "You're so much happier now that you're eating REAL FOOD, aren't you?"

I was like, "As opposed to the fake stuff coming out of my breasts?"

I don't think she meant to hurt my feelings, but it did sting a bit. Probably because it's true - he does seem happier these days.
My Grandma makes comments to my 2-year-old, who's still nursing, about him needing to eat "big-boy food." Of course, he eats solids mostly now, and just nurses at nap and bed time, or when he gets hurt. But she was saying "you need big-boy food" before he was even 1. I just try to ignore it. If she or anyone confronts me, I try to stay calm and reasonable, but I am not good with confrontations of any kind. Usually I try to change the subject, or point out the fact that my 2-year-old has only gotten sick twice in his life, both times were very minor colds with a fever that lasted less than a day. Breastmilk really helps the immune system.
I haven't even mentioned to the inlaws that he's not vaccinated; they would completely flip out. It's NOTB!
post #37 of 1072
The funniest thing might have been when we were in France visiting in-laws (my hubby is French) in the summer of '08. Our son was just 8 months old at the time, and my inlaws were very impressed by the fact that he was still nursing! They took us around to meet all the friends and extended family, and EVERY time they introduced me to someone new they'd say, "This is 'A...', and she's still nursing her little baby!" That was the first thing these strangers learned about me!!

One time, one of the great-aunts, or someone I can't remember the exact relation, told us the story of her daughter who nursed her baby until he turned 1 year old, and afterward, her breasts "completely disappeared."
I couldn't help laughing, though I tried my hardest not to!
I thought the European medical system was more enlightened than our American system?
post #38 of 1072
Last night, in a chat with some of my friends, 3 of them decided to brainstorm "what Kate did wrong to cause her baby's omphalocele". The consensus was that it was either daring to get pregnant after 30 or the medications I used to take but stopped in plenty of time before ttc. Neither have any demonstrated correlation (they've been studied) to this particular defect, but that didn't stop them from jumping on the "blame the mother" bandwagon. I was very proud of my restraint, though a friend suggested I should stop taking the zofran for situations like this (she called it defensive vomiting, ).
post #39 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
a friend suggested I should stop taking the zofran for situations like this (she called it defensive vomiting, ).
Absolutely agree!! In their bra, please. While they are wearing it.
post #40 of 1072
CorasMama: Ach, people! I had a friend insist I'd caused my pre-eclampsia by painting a few rooms in the house before DD was born. The second time she brought it up, I said "Well, the evidence on what causes pre-eclampsia doesn't lean in that direction" and she said "I know, but I'm just gonna keep it as my little theory". Well, thanks. 'Cause blaming me despite the evidence is so much more fun than believing I developed the condition through no fault of my own...?

In your situation I'd be tempted to call those friends at 3AM, tragically declaring your intent of jumping off a building from guilt at having caused your baby's condition. See how fast they trip over themselves then to reassure you it wasn't your fault! Heck, do it every night for a week. Grrr. Some people...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V