or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V - Page 11

post #201 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
I showed this picture of my son to a new woman at our temple - after repeatedly saying that I had a son. She says "OMG, your daughter is just lovely! Look at her hair!" Ooooohkay. Some people just don't pay attention, I think.
LOL. Adorable picture, though.

this is what my son was wearing that day at the library.
post #202 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Sara, I am blown away by the untold level of cute that is your son.
EEK! Thanks! I think he's pretty much the cutest kid in the world, but I'm a bit biased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
LOL. Adorable picture, though.

this is what my son was wearing that day at the library.
Cool sweater!! I definitely would have said boy, but at that age, who knows?
post #203 of 1072
I love reading these!
post #204 of 1072
Here's another one. When DS was very very little, my MIL was still trying to convince us to circ him; (she had already convinced DH, it was just me protecting my little one) she somehow persuaded my SIL to call me (in addition to her 2-3 calls/week). SIL's argument: I would be grossed out to sleep with a man who wasn't circ'ed. Second argument: "it looks gross." "so you think performing cosmetic surgery on a minor is okay" "yeah, i would totally get implants if i could" She was 17 at the time. anyway see the failure in logic there? Then she had my FIL call. His argument: "i don't see why it matters to you women so much. why don't you just get it done so she'll leave you alone?" Wow, so is that really the way we should make medical decisions for our children??
post #205 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sk8ermaiden View Post
100% cranberry juice - it is not expensive here and the tart is delicious. I asked several people when that post first debuted, and most of my friends and family frink 100% cranberry juice on a range from occasionally to frequently. I usually have some in the fridge.
Well thanks. It's hard to find 100% cranberry juice that is not a grape juice blend here...I shouldn't talk when it comes to unpopular flavors (tart). I love the bitter. I love white grapefruit juice and I get some comments for that.
post #206 of 1072
it's already been covered, but since my LO is just under 4 months old i am constantly hearing about him needing "real food". i just reply that he's fine, and we'll figure out the food thing "soon" after we've talked to the doctor. i only add the last bit b/c it seems to shut people up - as in oh, the doctor will set her straight!

i really am amazed at how many people tell me to cut the nipples on his bottles wider and add rice cereal so he'll sleep more. um, he sleeps fine. he wakes up once during the night and for 3 1/2 months old that is awesome. and yet, when people hear he's up once during the night i get these shocked looks and "STILL!!?" comments.
post #207 of 1072
Thread Starter 
My mother was wondering if she was going to be invited to our next birth. I told her I'm planning a homebirth so it may just be me, DH, DS and the midwives. The rest went like this...

Her: But who's taking DS?

Me: No one. He's going to be here.

Her: You're going to want someone that can take him...it's going to be traumatic. He won't even be 2 years.

Me: He'll be 21 months. Old enough to understand.

Her: It's going to traumatize him.
post #208 of 1072
AFWife, my 23mo son was at his sister's birth at home - my doula and DH switched off taking care of him, and he was wonderful. Wasn't even scared when I was mooing my head off pushing for 3.5 hours. I think as long as there's an option for him to leave the birthing room with an adult he trusts if he wants to, you can't go wrong.
post #209 of 1072
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catubodua View Post
it's already been covered, but since my LO is just under 4 months old i am constantly hearing about him needing "real food". i just reply that he's fine, and we'll figure out the food thing "soon" after we've talked to the doctor. i only add the last bit b/c it seems to shut people up - as in oh, the doctor will set her straight!

i really am amazed at how many people tell me to cut the nipples on his bottles wider and add rice cereal so he'll sleep more. um, he sleeps fine. he wakes up once during the night and for 3 1/2 months old that is awesome. and yet, when people hear he's up once during the night i get these shocked looks and "STILL!!?" comments.
MIL was the worst about this. She was constantly telling us that DS needed food. Breastmilk couldn't possibly be enough for him (he was 95th percentile in growth in general for MONTHS. He was in 6mo clothing at 3mo...) When he fussed about anything it was obviously because he was hungry. Nursing every hour or two was too much. And if I "ever wanted sleep" I'd give him rice cereal.
post #210 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by beru View Post
I know this is a really old post to quote and totally off topic, but I am curious. Kidzaplenty and Sk8ermaiden, do you really drink straight 100% cranberry juice? It is so tart!? Or do you drink "100% juice cranberry"? I have to go to a the health food aisle and pay $5 to $7 for a small bottle of 100% cranberry juice. The "100% juice" stuff in the regular juice aisle is half as cheap and the majority of the "100% juice" is white grape juice. Is that what you are drinking?

I am truly curious because I just think it tastes like medicine (and that's basically what I buy it for).
Oh, I love 100% cranberry juice! I use to drink it help my bladder. Now if I get a cranberry juice blend it's like a dessert since it is so sweet. But I also love the blends too.

I'm so glad this thread is back!!!
post #211 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
MIL was the worst about this. She was constantly telling us that DS needed food. Breastmilk couldn't possibly be enough for him (he was 95th percentile in growth in general for MONTHS. He was in 6mo clothing at 3mo...) When he fussed about anything it was obviously because he was hungry. Nursing every hour or two was too much. And if I "ever wanted sleep" I'd give him rice cereal.
funny, my MIL is one of the loudest voices about this too. she's told me multiple times about how she started DH on rice cereal at 2 weeks old b/c it was the only way she could get him to sleep at night, meaning all night.
post #212 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife View Post
My mother was wondering if she was going to be invited to our next birth. I told her I'm planning a homebirth so it may just be me, DH, DS and the midwives. The rest went like this...

Her: But who's taking DS?

Me: No one. He's going to be here.

Her: You're going to want someone that can take him...it's going to be traumatic. He won't even be 2 years.

Me: He'll be 21 months. Old enough to understand.

Her: It's going to traumatize him.
My mom's giving me the same spiel - "Luke's going to have to come over and spend the night at least once before that baby comes so he gets used to me."

"Uh, why does he need to get used to you?"

"Well he can't be there when that baby's born! He's too little! He'll get traumatized seeing you like that!"

"That's what DH is for."

"DH is going to be too busy with you to worry about the kids, you're not going to want them there."

"That's why I have a doula."

"Well I just think it's stupid, those kids are going to be traumatized."

And on and on and on. All because HER birth experiences lead her to believe this, nevermind they're MY kids and MY birth.
post #213 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Sara, I am blown away by the untold level of cute that is your son.
I'm going to have to second that.
post #214 of 1072
I told my MIL my infant didn't really need bottles of water, that if he was thirsty I'd rather give him more breast milk. She corrected me: she wasn't going to give him plain water! He needed food value, calories that would help him grow. So, she was going to put corn syrup in his water. For some reason, she just couldn't find any in my cabinets...
post #215 of 1072
Quote:
he wakes up once during the night and for 3 1/2 months old that is awesome. and yet, when people hear he's up once during the night i get these shocked looks and "STILL!!?" comments.
We've moved into an even stranger realm, where people automatically assume DD sleeps through the night because she's going to be a year old. Had this exchange at a wedding last weekend:

Unknown Woman: Your daughter is adorable! How old is she?

Me: Just about a year.

Unknown Woman (with a stern look): And she sleeps through the night, right? In her own room?



You would have thought I had a sign on my forehead that said 'Crazy co-sleeping hippie', and she was trying to 'fix' me.
post #216 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemama32 View Post
My MIL thinks kids should be taught how to play. (No sense in letting their own imagination or creativity have a say!) DS can barely play with a toy...especially something like a puzzle or shape sorter...when she's around because she is *constantly* taking it away from him and saying "No! You do it like this." or "No-no...you're doing it the wrong way. Let Granny show you the 'proper' way to do it."

She also told DS the other day "not to cry because you look so ugly when you cry"...all while making a horrifying face at him and imitating his crying sounds. He is 23 months old, and he was tired, sick, hadn't seen me all day, and he wanted to nurse. I know she was trying to be funny, but it just makes me...
Oh my goodness I think we have the same MIL.
My MIL will get out some stickers and a notebook and make my ds put one sticker per page. "No no, we can't put two stickers on the same page..." Or the last time we were there she wanted him to "finish" a page in the coloring book. "I won't put it on the fridge unless you finish it." As if he cared. He just flipped to the next page, scribbled a bit and the same fight started over. I always want to scream "Quit micromanaging my toddler!" at her. Thankfully we now live 2500 miles away. haha.
post #217 of 1072
My mother in law has some funny ones. First off she tells us that we're not respecting our son's humanity because we're still nursing him and we let him run around naked a lot (we EC), then later she tells my husband that you can't reason with toddlers (we explain to him why he can't, eg, turn his dad's computer on and off) and that you really have to treat them kind of like dogs. My husband was like, HUH?
When he was 3 months old she told us that babies get hiccups because they're cold and everytime he hiccuped she would go wrap another blanket around him. Poor baby must have had like 5 blankets on him!
post #218 of 1072
I have been a nanny and a home daycare provider for the last 18 years and people have always been impressed with how well behaved my kids were. So when I got pregnant I had EVERY SINGLE ONE of my friends tell me that I would automatically lose all of my child care skills when it came to my child, like they would be expelled with my placenta.

Are you kidding! I have to keep this one! No way I jettison everything that has worked for the last 18 years on everyone else's kids.

She's lovely BTW. Attitudinous, committed breastfeeder in public, and able to sit through a leisurely meal in a restaurant.


post #219 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenie View Post
Oh my goodness I think we have the same MIL.
My MIL will get out some stickers and a notebook and make my ds put one sticker per page. "No no, we can't put two stickers on the same page..." Or the last time we were there she wanted him to "finish" a page in the coloring book. "I won't put it on the fridge unless you finish it." As if he cared. He just flipped to the next page, scribbled a bit and the same fight started over. I always want to scream "Quit micromanaging my toddler!" at her. Thankfully we now live 2500 miles away. haha.
OMG, that's my MOTHER...

She also gets mad at DS for making a mess in the living room, never mind that SHE gave a 3 yo SPAGHETTI in the living room...
post #220 of 1072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geist View Post
When he was 3 months old she told us that babies get hiccups because they're cold and everytime he hiccuped she would go wrap another blanket around him. Poor baby must have had like 5 blankets on him!
My parents insist that this is why I always got hiccups as a child, and even as an adult. My mom will come wrap me with a blanket if I get hiccups, seriously. They claim it helped the hiccups when I was younger...I don't know, but it does usually make me feel more comfortable. Honestly, usually when I get hiccups, I am cold. LOL. Coincidence?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › What is the worst/dumbest thing anyone has ever said to you about parenting stuff? V