or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Winter MJ / Cannabis Mamas
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Winter MJ / Cannabis Mamas - Page 12

post #221 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdngdss View Post
Hey former desert gal...I'm in north scottsdale/Bell & 56th st. area. It's nice here, but not quite as neighborhoody as my previous locales, Portland, OR and Austin, TX. I do appreciate the beautiful winters, but summers, well, that's another story.

Whereabouts did you move to? Let me know if you move back this way. Like minded local mommies are a very big plus and I currently know no one in our mindset here in town. Congrats on the new arrival. Must be great having family support locally.

Nite, nite!

Here's another AZ mama! lol! i'm in queen creek far away on the other side of the valley. still trying to find other like-minded mamas, but cannabis is not an easy topic to bring up, lol.

anyway, i was visiting norml reciently and came across this website:

http://www.moms4marijuana.webs.com/

it made me smile.
post #222 of 298
Just registered @ momsforMJ!

Going to see Iron Man 2 tonight. Going to medicate before I go. Am I a bad person? I am not driving btw. I have a DD.
post #223 of 298
Havent posted in a while. But had to share We got an Iolite portable vape. Wow really nice. I had seen it mentioned on here at some point an so dh ordered one. I likes
post #224 of 298
I'd probably medicate before going to movies... if I ever went to movies.
post #225 of 298
haha aww eilonwy....i rarely go to movies. usually because I cant STAND to spend money on something I can get for free later. But i treated myself to a date with my BF and we ended up having ice cream, hot dogs, popcorn and pizza. Probably shouldn't have smoked up first LOL but even with the medication, Iron Man 2, was still pretty blah. Even Mickey Rorke didn't blow my socks off.
post #226 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinaAuSucre View Post
haha aww eilonwy....i rarely go to movies. usually because I cant STAND to spend money on something I can get for free later. But i treated myself to a date with my BF and we ended up having ice cream, hot dogs, popcorn and pizza. Probably shouldn't have smoked up first LOL but even with the medication, Iron Man 2, was still pretty blah. Even Mickey Rorke didn't blow my socks off.
We watch everything at home. The only thing I miss is the ridiculous popcorn(hubby makes some killer corn but it's just not the same, kwim??). I agree, Iron Man 2 was meh.

Hope everyone is well. I am excited to see the Rhody mamas this weekend I haven't seen you all since Big Man's bday last August, so I am totally narcing out! (And so sad about LJ, but we will keep in touch, and I am happy things are good for you now too)
post #227 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdngdss View Post
Hey former desert gal...I'm in north scottsdale/Bell & 56th st. area. It's nice here, but not quite as neighborhoody as my previous locales, Portland, OR and Austin, TX. I do appreciate the beautiful winters, but summers, well, that's another story.

Whereabouts did you move to? Let me know if you move back this way. Like minded local mommies are a very big plus and I currently know no one in our mindset here in town. Congrats on the new arrival. Must be great having family support locally.

Nite, nite!
We moved to kansas city...i'm from KS, but not KC and really don't love this town. Scottsdale is nice, very nice actually. I lived all over, phx, scottsdale, mesa, anthem, and love all of them really.
Mama2rio- I love Queen Creek, too! When we move back we're thinking of living there or close to there!

Quote:
So here's a pretty random question: Do any of you use marijuana for ritual purposes or as a meditative aid? Just to unwind after a long day, the way some people have a glass of wine, or do you use it primarily medicinally?
I definitely use it to unwind! I always look forward to evenings when DH gets home and we have good shows on TV and we can just veg out w/mj and dinner and TV! It sounds so lazy, but after a long day it's just the best...it sure keeps me postive too! Oh, and I don't notice any change in my baby from the times i do vs. when i don't smoke (vap actually, i don't really "smoke" anymore).
post #228 of 298
hey mamas, I'm never on anymore, but had some questions that just BEGGED for this thread... please forgive the longwindedness

I would like to hear experiences from heavy/long term medical smokers about quitting. I would consider myself a heavy/long term smoker, but have quit a few times for various reasons. The first time a month before my LO was born for 1 mo. before until 1 mo. after- for obvious reasons. The second time several weeks ago, because it just seemed I was medicating a lot more than really participating in anything else. I kind of felt like a person having to carry around oxygen in order to breathe at all... Sure, I'm still alive, but very cumbersome. I just felt like my body needed a "medication break".

The first time I didn't notice ANY withdrawal or cravings whatsoever. In fact, it really drove it home just how safe this medication is. THIS time, however, I have been plagued with some days of severe anxiety (one of the reasons for medicating at all) severe headaches and fatigue. Not constant, but enough that it made me wonder about the role MJ might be playing in it. It's not even every day.

I keep remembering how the cold turkey worked for me before and I didn't really have any of those symptoms, even though I was under a great deal of stress. This time, I am having "issues".

My questions:
Is there any info that you know of, by people FOR MJ use, that can give more insight? It seems all the info I can find on "withdrawal" or "quitting" is about buying into rehab and anti drug info... not exactly the people I trust to tell me the TRUTH about MJ effects, cutting down from overuse to "just" therapeutic use.
Have you experienced any "ill effects" from quitting mj and how long did it last? I am not convinced it's the quitting that is CAUSING these problems for me, (I have some other stuff going on that might be causing some of it) I do know MJ would help with them. I'm torn. :-(

I have cravings, but the cravings have more to do with wanting to alleviate my symptoms (headache, body pain, anxiety) than they did before I quit. It was PURE physical habit of: smoke before bfst, lunch, dinner & bed or whenever i have it Like a cigarette smoker smokes

I'm struggling with re-starting mj use, because on the one hand, I would be highly medicated with dangerous pharms if I left it up to the HCP's, yet on the other hand, I don't want to be a broke, unmotivated pothead all of my days. I'm in a better place than I WAS for limiting use to as needed basis because of my supportive environment, but I am honestly afraid to get back into that 16 hr. a day smoke fest pattern that I felt was so unhealthy for me. To me, that's no better than being strapped to an armload of pharms. It's the reason I stopped cold turkey... I didn't seem to be able to cut back while in the situation I was in before I stopped this time. I actually had to remove myself from my environment (house, dh, urban living) in order to detox. My detox period has involved lots of primitive natural living and hard physical work without a house, dh or urban living.

I had a doctor that tried to prescribe me xanax long term once, and when I asked him about addiction, his response was, "better to have quality of life and be addicted, than to have a piss poor quality of life with no addictions"
I thought that was very irresponsible of him, although I KNOW xanax and MJ are two different balls of wax. One being very dangerous and the other being very safe. This thought came up again during my process this time.

Ideas? Thoughts? Experiences?

My head and neck is killing me, the anxiety isn't much fun and all I can think is that a little puff or two would do the trick. This is where the fear of "addiction" and "overuse" comes in. I was DEFINITELY using more than I NEEDED to alleviate my ongoing health problems.
I really don't want to get back to that place.
I'm not going to over medicate if I pop a couple aspirin, this I know, but aspirin is only going to do so much for me in my case. I'd rather have a puff or two, but I'm afraid I'll start that same build up of "too much-too often" that seemed to happen over time.

When I quit this time, I wasn't saying "I'm never going to use mj again." I was saying, "I really need to get off this treadmill of overuse." I didn't have a time frame in mind, and certainly didn't have any ideas as to what would happen NEXT. Well, NEXT is here and I'm feeling some anxiety over it.
post #229 of 298
salt_phoenix, . It sounds to me as though you've been treating symptoms with marijuana, but not the underlying pathology. If the cause of your headaches, anxiety, etc has been flaring up, it would explain a) why you had been smoking so much more than usual and b) why you are in so much pain now. My suggestion would be to go ahead and smoke a bit to relieve your pain so that you can concentrate on figuring out what's actually going on.

So: Do you know why you have headaches, pain, and anxiety? What can be done to alleviate some of those stresses?
post #230 of 298

Getting Legalized

Hi to all just found this community new to mothering.com but have been reading for almost 5 years. Just wondering how to go about getting legalized in WA? I have used MJ for anxiety and Post traumatic stress disorder have always been kinda afraid of becoming legal since that would put u out there more if the federal government decides to crack down on legal clinics like I have seen in the past. to see this forum as I sometimes feel like everyone looks at this as a partying irresponsible thing when I sometimes cannot sleep wo it and would much rather use what the earth gives than some sythetic sleeping pill.

Happy Spring
post #231 of 298
post #232 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
My questions:
Is there any info that you know of, by people FOR MJ use, that can give more insight? It seems all the info I can find on "withdrawal" or "quitting" is about buying into rehab and anti drug info... not exactly the people I trust to tell me the TRUTH about MJ effects, cutting down from overuse to "just" therapeutic use.
Have you experienced any "ill effects" from quitting mj and how long did it last? I am not convinced it's the quitting that is CAUSING these problems for me, (I have some other stuff going on that might be causing some of it) I do know MJ would help with them. I'm torn. :-(

I have cravings, but the cravings have more to do with wanting to alleviate my symptoms (headache, body pain, anxiety) than they did before I quit. It was PURE physical habit of: smoke before bfst, lunch, dinner & bed or whenever i have it Like a cigarette smoker smokes

I'm struggling with re-starting mj use, because on the one hand, I would be highly medicated with dangerous pharms if I left it up to the HCP's, yet on the other hand, I don't want to be a broke, unmotivated pothead all of my days. I'm in a better place than I WAS for limiting use to as needed basis because of my supportive environment, but I am honestly afraid to get back into that 16 hr. a day smoke fest pattern that I felt was so unhealthy for me. To me, that's no better than being strapped to an armload of pharms. It's the reason I stopped cold turkey... I didn't seem to be able to cut back while in the situation I was in before I stopped this time. I actually had to remove myself from my environment (house, dh, urban living) in order to detox. My detox period has involved lots of primitive natural living and hard physical work without a house, dh or urban living.

I had a doctor that tried to prescribe me xanax long term once, and when I asked him about addiction, his response was, "better to have quality of life and be addicted, than to have a piss poor quality of life with no addictions"
I thought that was very irresponsible of him, although I KNOW xanax and MJ are two different balls of wax. One being very dangerous and the other being very safe. This thought came up again during my process this time.

Ideas? Thoughts? Experiences?

My head and neck is killing me, the anxiety isn't much fun and all I can think is that a little puff or two would do the trick. This is where the fear of "addiction" and "overuse" comes in. I was DEFINITELY using more than I NEEDED to alleviate my ongoing health problems.
I really don't want to get back to that place.
I'm not going to over medicate if I pop a couple aspirin, this I know, but aspirin is only going to do so much for me in my case. I'd rather have a puff or two, but I'm afraid I'll start that same build up of "too much-too often" that seemed to happen over time.

When I quit this time, I wasn't saying "I'm never going to use mj again." I was saying, "I really need to get off this treadmill of overuse." I didn't have a time frame in mind, and certainly didn't have any ideas as to what would happen NEXT. Well, NEXT is here and I'm feeling some anxiety over it.
i have been using for over 10 years. most of those years we're of heavy use. i have used for problems related to depression, anxiety, sleep, migraines, and it really helps easing my temper

anyway, i stopped using while preggo with dd, it just made me feel sicker and didn't help my morning sickness. since than, i'm more of an occasional user, although, i still have a temper and really am working to not just "yell" when something isn't right (i can't help it, i'm italian, lol)

for the most part, you sound like you use for many of the reasons i do. you need to find another activity that will relax you. i know it's hard to do with kids. i think some alone mama time would be good to reconnect with yourself. it's hard not using... i also don't use aspirin.

if you just need to limit your intake, it might be a good idea to invest in some dime bags and just bag up supplies for the day/week. kind of like distributing pills into one of those little pillboxes your grandma uses. this way, you know how much your using, and you also don't overdo it.

as far as ill effects, i really can't think of any, i'm just working on stress relief which is really hard to do with out mj around. i have been gradually working on my social anxiety and it takes me a while to make friends because of this, and if i don't have friends that smoke, it's really hard for me to connect with people when i'm not high. i can do it, it just takes me a while go warm up and come out of my shell.
post #233 of 298
Hey, mamas!
Can I get a little insight?
I've always been an occasional pot smoker. I had a miscarriage and have been working crazy hours so a friend gave me some from her stash to help me relax.
But instead of feeling relaxed, I get physically cold, paranoid and self-critical when I smoke it. When I used to smoke more (grad school) it had this effect very rarely but not every time!
What gives? Is it just my mood? Indica vs sativa?
post #234 of 298
I think I'd question your friend's supplier. :/
post #235 of 298
Hey everyone! I have had my lil babe.. Esther was born on May 7th. I smoked for a bit during pregnancy for severe morning sickness, and she is as healthy as can be. I had quite for the last 3 months or so. I am ready to partake again, but unfortunatly, I have lost my one and only supplier. I dont have very many friends in my area, and the ones I do have dont partake. How do you go about getting a new connection if your new to the area and are a hermit like me lol. I am a stay at home mom, and other moms I have meet in my area.. well lets just say i woulnt be asking them if they know a reliable source.
post #236 of 298
Hey everyone! I wish I had an answer for the last question. I have no way to get any either. I feel sure I could get a medical card, but it would require visits to an MD. I do not approve of allopathic medicine, but I am tempted to just suck it up and go to some appts to get a history on paper. Someone else talked about quitting. I have been a heavy user most of my life. I started when I was 13 and only ran out a few times in my life. Until this year (I am now 39). I am coping, but I sure was a happier, easier to be around person when I had it, and it makes board games, blowing bubbles, blue's clues, and books about shapes soooo much more interesting. I am waiting for legalization. I want to be able to grow my own legally, like I used to do (not legally). I wish there was some kind of web board to meet a person to get some from but not likely... we are low income right now, but if it would make me easier to be around I bet I could get the $... I have been sober for many months now, not even sure how long... maybe over a year. I do not drink alcohol anymore either, gave that up in 2004. When I have had a migraine, I had to fall back on a prescription I got 7 yrs ago of vicodin. I take a half of one to ease my pain every 2-3 months or so when I get a migraine. I want buds (or even leaves at this point) though dammit! Glad to see others here. For those asking about pregnancy and breastfeeding, I did it none (purposefully quit (at the urging of the health dept people, I even had a counselor) and stupidly i say, it made my pregnancy not good, I feel he would have baked longer if i had just stayed in my normal pattern) with my first child, he came early and died of SIDS at 2 mo. I did it sparingly with dd1 (10 yrs later)for 3rd month to 8th month (heavy in first month and a half cuz I didn't know I was preg, dr gave me a pee test when I said 8 days preg, drank after work and took muscle relaxers and vicodins for shoulder pain from work..., then none till 3rd month), then started back at 3 mo pp, she is a gifted child. bf her until 3.5 yo. dd2 I was light at conception until month 3, then heavy. I quit at birth for a month because I was tired and needed to get used to having a baby around again, and the only negative study finding I believe in says smoking in the first month (while bfing) may delay speech. too funny that she is 18 mo almost and still not talking... dd1 talked at 8 mo and full sentences by a year (and hasn't stopped since) they have different fathers and I hear all kids are different. I am still bfing dd2 and will until she stops. I miss feeling relaxed. I am celibate due to circumstances beyond my control so having some cannabis would really be cool. I will set my intentions...
post #237 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan73 View Post
Hey, mamas!
Can I get a little insight?
I've always been an occasional pot smoker. I had a miscarriage and have been working crazy hours so a friend gave me some from her stash to help me relax.
But instead of feeling relaxed, I get physically cold, paranoid and self-critical when I smoke it. When I used to smoke more (grad school) it had this effect very rarely but not every time!
What gives? Is it just my mood? Indica vs sativa?
When I had run out the few times I did in the past, when I did smoke again I found it overwhelming. It is the high thc content most likely. just take a couple puffs when you do it and build your tolerance back up, or look for lower grade cannabis. I would get cold, my knees would jump, I would think people hated me and become obsessed that I had a booger on my face or something... it is just because you have no tolerance and it is high grade most likely.
post #238 of 298
This article addresses some of the reasons I no longer buy cannabis, although I believe deeply in being able to use it. If you know your grower (not supplier, but the grower, like local grown), that is way different. It is supporting the drug trade I am not cool with... http://www.care2.com/causes/environm...-of-marijuana/

hey, sign this petition to legalize http://www.thepetitionsite.com/60/legalize-marijuana
post #239 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
Hi Mamas! Subbing to the new thread Diana so lovingly started for us <3 Not here much in person, but always in spirit! Hope you are all well and green!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatolea View Post
We watch everything at home. The only thing I miss is the ridiculous popcorn(hubby makes some killer corn but it's just not the same, kwim??). I agree, Iron Man 2 was meh.

Hope everyone is well. I am excited to see the Rhody mamas this weekend I haven't seen you all since Big Man's bday last August, so I am totally narcing out! (And so sad about LJ, but we will keep in touch, and I am happy things are good for you now too)
Hey mama K!! It was wonderful to see you again, like always! And I must admit, I am spoiled since I get to see you again in a few days!

Yes, we will keep in touch for sure! Who knows, we may be back this way again soon, or not. Either way, when we visit the fam, we have a circle of friends who we love like family, that we get to visit as well!

I'm not on mdc much these days but when we move and I have no friends, I'll be back! I'm pregnant, again, and we are planning another homebirth!!!

Great to be back and see all the new mamas on here and see how active this thread still is!!
post #240 of 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post
When I had run out the few times I did in the past, when I did smoke again I found it overwhelming. It is the high thc content most likely. just take a couple puffs when you do it and build your tolerance back up, or look for lower grade cannabis. I would get cold, my knees would jump, I would think people hated me and become obsessed that I had a booger on my face or something... it is just because you have no tolerance and it is high grade most likely.
Yup, that's the feeling. I'll smoke less next time, although it's a moot point since I'm going to be TTC soon.
Thanks, mama.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Connect With Other Moms
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Winter MJ / Cannabis Mamas