or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › 3 month old with ear infection, ruptured ear drum, WWYD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

3 month old with ear infection, ruptured ear drum, WWYD?

post #1 of 95
Thread Starter 
My baby is 3 months old. She developed a bad cold Fri night w/fever of 101.7under arm. I didn't give her anything - no tylenol, etc because I like to let them resolve on it's own and I wanted the fever to help kill off the infection. By Sat aft it seemed that the fever had gone down significantly (prob down to 99 or so I didn't actually check w/ thermometer). By late Sun eve, she had fever over 101 again. She hasn't been nursing that well since Sun night bc I think she is stopped up. The nasal aspirator doesn't seem to work very well, but I just bought another one, maybe it will help. She is peeing, but not as much as usual, and my breasts hurt since she isn't eating as much. She has been crying most of the time she is awake which is very unlike her - she is usually very happy. I didn't want to give her tylenol but I did last night around 3am because she was just screaming and wouldn't nurse, couldn't sleep, and had an under arm temp of 102 - she'd latch on and then pull away.

So this morning she seems content and OK after I gave her the tylenol - she was even smiling. Then I noticed some discharge coming out of her ear. I cleaned the outer part of her ear. A couple hours later I noticed a little blood and green gunk coming out - I don't know if it was there earlier and didn't notice or not. She's asleep now, and last time I checked her temp it was 100 - it was about time for the tylenol's effect to wear out, so I don't know if it's coming down or if it's still under affect of the tylenol.


I'm trying to decide whether to take her to the dr or not. I'm at my in-laws, 10 hrs away from home - so I don't know the drs here. I'm wary of their practices. So in other words I don't totally trust their opinion. WWYD? Would you take her to the dr? If you would, would you fill the scrip for antibiotics they would most likely give you? I've tried to do some research on here - I know that I shouldn't put any garlic drops in the ear now that it is ruptured. Some people on here seem to think abx is the way to go in this case, some people say to just keep it dry and clean. I'm eating raw garlic and drinking emergen-c. anything else i should be doing?

So WWYD? Knoeing that she's not nursing well, it's hard to keep her head so that it will drain well since she's 3 mo old and likes to sleep in sling w/ head cocked to wrong side. Also if no dr can see us, the drs here are sying go to the ER - would you?
post #2 of 95
I would go in for sure.
post #3 of 95
Yes, definitely take her in. I certainly do not advocate throwing antibiotics at everything the way some do, but there are times when they're really useful. This is one of those times, in my opinion. I also suffered from ear infections as a child, and remember them well. They are very painful. They are also relieved almost immediately with antibiotics.
post #4 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Mac View Post
Yes, definitely take her in. I certainly do not advocate throwing antibiotics at everything the way some do, but there are times when they're really useful. This is one of those times, in my opinion. I also suffered from ear infections as a child, and remember them well. They are very painful. They are also relieved almost immediately with antibiotics.
I'm definitely not in this camp, however I say do what you are comfortable with. How is she now?
post #5 of 95
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
I'm definitely not in this camp, however I say do what you are comfortable with. How is she now?
She's sleeping and seems to be OK when sleeping, and her fever maybe has gone down, but there is more pus and green gunk than ever coming out of her ear. I'm afraid if it might develop into mastoiditis since it's not always draining properly (because she keeps tilting her head the wrong way).
post #6 of 95
Green stuff is indicative of infection, and it's never good to have an infection that close to the brain. You are right to be concerned about mastoiditis. Go to the doctor right away.
post #7 of 95
but she already knew there was an infection. I'm not saying don't get it checked out, I'm just saying be clear on which is the cart and which is the horse here.
post #8 of 95
This is a copy of a recent post of mine regarding ear infections and immune system.

Mild Fever in 5.5 month old

When Is a Antibiotic needed For Sinus?

Help with 10mo old ear infection please!

Fever- no medication approach

How can I get rid of ear infection w/o antibiotics?


I'd do homeopathics and stop ALL dairy and add whole food probiotics, or at least take and give baby some bifidum probiotics. If baby is lethargic or not peeing, I'd get to the Urgent Care. I'd avoid the ER, personally. Dehydration is the biggest concern. So, I'd nurse, Nurse, NURSE!

A ruptured ear drum can heal itself. So can an ear infection. The concern is *why* is baby's immune system compromised. That is why I'd avoid the hospital germs and antibiotics and focus on probiotics for immune strengthening.



Pat
post #9 of 95
I would go to the Dr. for that one.
post #10 of 95
I would go. My son did get mastoiditis. She's young, really young and her body would have kicked this by now if it could have. The wait and see on antibiotics for ear infections is 48 to 72 hours.

The concern in spreading/worsening infection is also when a fever kicks back up after going down and if I'm reading right that happened to your daughter. Knowing what I know now (via my son's mastoiditis) I would have advised you to take her in at that point.

I'd take her now. I wouldn't be surprised if there is infection in that other ear given the continuing fever.


On the mastoiditis since that is an emergency and it might be late where you are--the signs are spongy/soft or swollen or painful right behind the ear in the mastoid bone area. It can happen really fast. Ours did.
post #11 of 95
I would also throw out that like Pat, I wouldn't just stand back and watch. I'd be using ferrum phos and silica cell salts to encourage drainage and healing. I certainly don't think that you should ignore this, I just have a different approach.

Also when you give a suppressant it's not uncommon for a fever that has gone down (as a result) to come back up.

Just another perspective!
post #12 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panserbjørne View Post
I would also throw out that like Pat, I wouldn't just stand back and watch. I'd be using ferrum phos and silica cell salts to encourage drainage and healing. I certainly don't think that you should ignore this, I just have a different approach.

Also when you give a suppressant it's not uncommon for a fever that has gone down (as a result) to come back up.

Just another perspective!
True. But what I was talking about was this part:
Quote:
She developed a bad cold Fri night w/fever of 101.7under arm. I didn't give her anything - no tylenol, etc because I like to let them resolve on it's own and I wanted the fever to help kill off the infection. By Sat aft it seemed that the fever had gone down significantly (prob down to 99 or so I didn't actually check w/ thermometer). By late Sun eve, she had fever over 101 again.
That wasn't with suppressant and that is a potential sign that thing have spread/gotten worse (she likely had the ear infection with that 101.7 fever on Friday night).
My son spiked a fever and infection on a Sunday. Like always we planned to wait stuff out and I didn't do any fever reducers. I did do chiro, cranial massage, homeopathy, etc. as we always did. Monday he was getting better/lower fever. Tuesday he was great. Tuesday afternoon evening his fever spiked back up. Wed. morning he woke up with mastoiditis very obvious. I imagine/am certain it had spread by that Tuesday point but we didn't know it at the time. I wouldn't wish what happened to my son on anyone.
My other concern in terms of waiting it out (which I wouldn't do anyway at this point) is that this is a three month old and this is already a complicated infection her body didn't fight off.
post #13 of 95
Okay, my second time over I didn't see that part. Darn multi-tasking.

I am not at all a wait it out kind of person. I wouldn't consider waiting it out in this case and when the fever spiked again I do go for cell salts, not just homeopathy. This actually delivers the nutrients the body needs to correct the imbalance. They aren't energetic in nature.

I'm certainly not picking apart what you did. I'm just clarifying my protocol, as it were. Someone may need actual building blocks once things have progressed this far so they have the materials they need to access to handle infection. In any suppurative process I would use them to prevent something like you described. I'm so sorry that both of you had to deal with something like this.
post #14 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degas View Post
She's sleeping and seems to be OK when sleeping, and her fever maybe has gone down, but there is more pus and green gunk than ever coming out of her ear. I'm afraid if it might develop into mastoiditis since it's not always draining properly (because she keeps tilting her head the wrong way).
I would certainly watch this. I would be concerned if the fever does go back up as sbgrace stated. However if I'm understanding this right (and no I didn't learn and yes I'm still multi-tasking) the fever spike was before the rupture. I would think that's why you saw the spike. If it goes up again or stays up I'd certainly take action.
post #15 of 95
I would take her to the doc, and since the eardrum is ruptured, ask if they'll prescribe abx drops for the ear rather than an oral abx. If the other ear is infected, too, then oral might be called for, of course.

To me, the baby's comfort, and not so much the degrees of the fever, is what determines whether or not I would give tylenol/motrin. If they can't eat or sleep, relieving symptoms so they can rest and heal is reasonable, imo. It's what I'd do for myself in the same situation, you know?

As for abx...if it was just a cold, I would refuse them--I actually had to argue with a doctor once about this, and wound up tossing the scrip she insisted on writing for me after I told her she was an idiot and needed to read up on evolutionary biology and its relevance to medicine following my negative strep test which I had to insist she do. I don't use them lightly. But ear infections suck and can result in complications, and the green goop indicates bacteria, which are what abx are for. As a PP said, they do have their place.
post #16 of 95
Given the green goop discharge I would consider antibiotics as this may indicate a bacterial infection. With out that I would probably not as 80-90% of ear infections are viral in nature and heal on their own.

In the situation you describe I would first call our ND...If I did not have access to him, I would take ds to an MD.
post #17 of 95
I would go to the ER if a doctor can't see you. Ear infections scare me: there's too much risk for permanent hearing loss IMO.
post #18 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by lach View Post
I would go to the ER if a doctor can't see you. Ear infections scare me: there's too much risk for permanent hearing loss IMO.
The vast majority of ear infections are not serious. The incidence for mastoiditis from acute otitis media is reported as 0.004%. Hearing loss is a possible (not probable) outcome of mastoiditis. The risk for hearing loss from ear infections is quite tiny actually. This is not to say I don't think OP should have a medical professional look at her child.
post #19 of 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marnica View Post
The vast majority of ear infections are not serious. The incidence for mastoiditis from acute otitis media is reported as 0.004%. Hearing loss is a possible (not probable) outcome of mastoiditis. The risk for hearing loss from ear infections is quite tiny actually. This is not to say I don't think OP should have a medical professional look at her child.
I know. But the vast majority of ear infections also don't include oozing green liquid coming out of a 3 month old's ears.
post #20 of 95
How is she OP?
It's so hard when stuff like this happens.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Women's Health
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › 3 month old with ear infection, ruptured ear drum, WWYD?