or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Muslim Mamas 2010
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Muslim Mamas 2010 - Page 2

post #21 of 227
Thread Starter 
As-salamu 'alaikom~

Has anyone read any particularly good, non-sectarian, detailed books dealing with a historical account of the early caliphate? I'm thinking in particular of the first four caliphs, the Umayyads, maybe the Abbasids, and possibly getting into the early development of the Shia sect?

Ok, it occurs to me that may not all come in one book. But whatever you've got ... the only thing coming to mind for me is Marshall Hodgeson, but I only ever read the later volumes of his works, and TBH I find him more than a little dry to begin with.
post #22 of 227
As salaamu alaykum,

I'd recommend "The Succession To Muhammad" by Wilferd Madelung.

For understanding early Shi'a history, I'd highly recommend "The Origins and Early Development of Shi'a Islam" by SHM Jafri. It's one of the best out there and is cited by folk ranging from Khaled Abou El Fadl to ...well, I can't think of anyone else right now, but I'm sure I've seen it cited by scholars on the opposite ideological end of Abou El Fadl. :0)
post #23 of 227
Salam ladies, I just moved here to nc from pa. Anyone in the triangle area?
I am an american convert. but havent been doing so well lately. Its hard for me to relate to the sisters. I am an artist and crunchy deadhead. I gave up alot to become a muslim and now I feel I have no connection to anyone.
well thats my story. peace
post #24 of 227
I hear you, Susan. Over the past couple of years I became close friends with one sister with a similar background, and she has been such a light in my life. PM me, let's talk.
post #25 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve80 View Post
As salaamu alaykum,

I'd recommend "The Succession To Muhammad" by Wilferd Madelung.

For understanding early Shi'a history, I'd highly recommend "The Origins and Early Development of Shi'a Islam" by SHM Jafri. It's one of the best out there and is cited by folk ranging from Khaled Abou El Fadl to ...well, I can't think of anyone else right now, but I'm sure I've seen it cited by scholars on the opposite ideological end of Abou El Fadl. :0)
Thank you! Both look like really excellent suggestions.

I'm going through a bit of a religious "thing" these days that would be difficult to explain well, but in practice what it means is I would like more perspective on the early developmental period of Islam without it being so much the "victor's history" that I have had through primarily pious Sunni sources. If that makes any sense. Judging by the reviews those sound potentially really solid on that front.
post #26 of 227

Americans' bias against Jews, Muslims linked, poll says

I thought this was very interesting.

"A poll about Americans' views on Islam concludes that the strongest predictor of prejudice against Muslims is whether a person holds similar feelings about Jews. ..."

Read the rest here
post #27 of 227
Yes, I saw that. It was very frustrating to me that people admit that they don't know anything about Islam, but still hate Muslims. Of course, I see this every day... but still, it bugs me.
post #28 of 227
As Salamua Alaikum, everyone!!

I'm new here, just signed up yesterday...

My name is Denise, living in the USA, American/ African American in Mini Soh Tah/ Minnesota. I've been Muslim for over 20 some odd yrs. I'm still a baby in this religion. I am a new mom, well my son is 2 yrs old.

I just wanted to give a shout out, as we say... I hope some of us can become friends... I have non....

Hugs and peace,
sis Denise
post #29 of 227
wa alaykum as salaam Denise,

Welcome to the forums. If you don't mind me asking, what makes you still consider yourself a "baby in this religion" after 20 years?
post #30 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminasmom View Post
Salam ladies, I just moved here to nc from pa. Anyone in the triangle area?
I am an american convert. but havent been doing so well lately. Its hard for me to relate to the sisters. I am an artist and crunchy deadhead. I gave up alot to become a muslim and now I feel I have no connection to anyone.
well thats my story. peace

Wa salam~ What kind of artist, if I may ask?
post #31 of 227
Assalaamu alaykum.

I just wanted to say "hello" to all my sisters here. I pop in and out, but have just gotten around to logging on to Mothering.com after a few months (just busy with work, child, pregnancy, life in general, etc). Insha'Allah I'll be able to participate more here this year (although, it's going to be even harder with the new bambino).
post #32 of 227
I am an art teacher ( currently a sahm) but I love clay and was making ceramic drums.
post #33 of 227

children's book

I just stumbled across a book review of The Grand Mosque of Paris, about Muslims who helped Jews during WWII. have not seen the book yet, but it seems like the kid of story worth lifting up—a counter to the kinds of stories that end up on the news.
post #34 of 227
Assalamu alaykum,
mothering can take up all of our time....but i'd love to hear of any special things you ladies are doing to feed your spiritual life. study gatherings, dhikr, anything you feel like sharing.
post #35 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve80 View Post
wa alaykum as salaam Denise,

Welcome to the forums. If you don't mind me asking, what makes you still consider yourself a "baby in this religion" after 20 years?


I'm forever learning with baby steps..
post #36 of 227
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by aminasmom View Post
I am an art teacher ( currently a sahm) but I love clay and was making ceramic drums.
Awesome. I used to work for a potter, and was personally a sculptor ... that's one of those things I pulled a bit of a Cat Stevens on though. (You know ... give it up for the sake of strict adherence to ahadith expressing disapproval, but later try to work out a more flexible position on the subject. I'm still working on the flexibility part.)
post #37 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
Assalamu alaykum,
mothering can take up all of our time....but i'd love to hear of any special things you ladies are doing to feed your spiritual life. study gatherings, dhikr, anything you feel like sharing.

I've developed a real interest in the lives of early scholars and I've found that inspiring. Well, I've found some of it inspiring. I've found other parts pretty eye-raising and it's made me question the sanity of some folks... I've also found some excellent lectures on youtube, one is a 49 part series, I try to listen to one each day. Someone sent me an excellent book that I'm reading on ziyaarat.

Beyond that, I really take parenting as a spiritual discipline pretty seriously. My kids are my shuyookh.

Really, I'm nearing my 33 birthday and one of the blessings that is coming to me with some time in the mother 'hood is that this jihad an nafs is holisitic. It's not just on the prayer rug when the world around me is quiet and I can 'concentrate.' Every challenge, every role I play is a facet of my ultimate role as amatullah (slave of Allah). And the world isn't going to stop spinning because I need time for deep reflection, I've got to find a way to keep that kind of dhikr even when the world around me is moving 90mph.

Allah (swt) help us all.
post #38 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve80 View Post
Beyond that, I really take parenting as a spiritual discipline pretty seriously. My kids are my shuyookh.

Really, I'm nearing my 33 birthday and one of the blessings that is coming to me with some time in the mother 'hood is that this jihad an nafs is holisitic. It's not just on the prayer rug when the world around me is quiet and I can 'concentrate.' Every challenge, every role I play is a facet of my ultimate role as amatullah (slave of Allah). And the world isn't going to stop spinning because I need time for deep reflection, I've got to find a way to keep that kind of dhikr even when the world around me is moving 90mph.

Allah (swt) help us all.
this is so well said--and a beautiful, helpful reminder that resonates with me. thank you.

(i should ask, because i am new here, what is "shuyookh"? i don't know this word--but from the context it sounds like teachers.)
post #39 of 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eve80 View Post
I've developed a real interest in the lives of early scholars and I've found that inspiring. Well, I've found some of it inspiring. I've found other parts pretty eye-raising and it's made me question the sanity of some folks... I've also found some excellent lectures on youtube, one is a 49 part series, I try to listen to one each day. Someone sent me an excellent book that I'm reading on ziyaarat.

Beyond that, I really take parenting as a spiritual discipline pretty seriously. My kids are my shuyookh.

Really, I'm nearing my 33 birthday and one of the blessings that is coming to me with some time in the mother 'hood is that this jihad an nafs is holisitic. It's not just on the prayer rug when the world around me is quiet and I can 'concentrate.' Every challenge, every role I play is a facet of my ultimate role as amatullah (slave of Allah). And the world isn't going to stop spinning because I need time for deep reflection, I've got to find a way to keep that kind of dhikr even when the world around me is moving 90mph.

Allah (swt) help us all.
I like that. Sometimes with such busy, noisy, crazy lives we drift away from focusing on the spiritual. That is one thing I love about Islam, it brings the spiritual into every part of our lives and you don't have to be in a quiet place away from the world to bring spirituality into your life. I also need that reminder when I have no pateint feelings left with my children. Seeing as a spiritual strugle will give me extra rope when there is none left.
post #40 of 227

Flying with niqaab

So it's been about 10 yrs since I flew. I have never flown as a Muslim or after 9/11. My husband took a couple business trips this year and had no problem, but he seems to think it worrisome for me to be flying (thinks we will have problems with security harassing us, people on the plan getting scared, or me fighting with security people if I don't feel being respected ) We will be taking a domestic flight with a baby and a toddler. I wear khimars and niqaab. What do you think? Has any one here had problems flying while Muslim? Did you feel like the other people on the plan were uncomfortable because of you? Anyway to minimize this?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Muslim Mamas 2010