or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › former homeschoolers now going to school -- 2nd term
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

former homeschoolers now going to school -- 2nd term - Page 5

post #81 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
It bothers me because of the way it's presented as so important for the almighty tests. I'm just not a huge fan of the big push of teaching to the test and because of that, I think I see everything test-related in a different light. He's in 2nd grade in a school with only 2nd-4th grade and the second graders have their own wing. There simply isn't a way for them to be disruptive to the other grades...
Is this by chance a charter school? I ask because my daughter's charter high school only has a few teachers certified to conduct the state testing. So on testing days many classes end up watching movies, walking over to a bookstore/cafe, etc. The incessant testing has been one huge downside to school. Required 4 day long grade level testing, end of course exams for many classes, etc. I think the head of school counted up 30 days of lost instruction time due to mandated testing.
post #82 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
May be the little kids are leaving the school because the big kids need the quiet for the test, or they need the space. Some kids with IEPs must take the test one or one or not timed or in other ways that require more adults and more space than regular school work.

Our school doesn't have kids leave, but I would try to take it in stride. One piece of advice that a former homeschooler gave me when we were making this transition was to look at the big picture of school and not all the details. Is it overall the right choice? Having a child in school means not making every little decision.

Our school has very few *fun* days. Most days are work. The few days that the kids get a break are in balance with everything else they do. Overall, my kids are getting a better education and richer social interaction than they were at the end of our homeschooling.
Good points about the IEPs - there is so much about school that I don't know.

I think I'm also struggling because I feel (again) that I don't fit in anywhere and I'm feeling lonely about this change. We never fit in with HSers because we both work FT; and coworkers thought we were crazy to HS, then I felt even more alone in the virtual school even though a motivator in joining was the possibility of a community because HSers lump it with PS and PSers lump it with HS so it's a lose-lose; and now I've got one at home and one in school - I feel like sending a child to school makes me appear to be worried about my ability to HS, but HS one makes me look like I don't think PS can educate my son properly. I'm just tired, I think. It's going to be 6 weeks of chaos, I fear. And it doesn't appear that it will...but I'm just emotionally spent, I think.

Ugh. Now I'm just rambling...
post #83 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2ponygirl View Post
Is this by chance a charter school? I ask because my daughter's charter high school only has a few teachers certified to conduct the state testing. So on testing days many classes end up watching movies, walking over to a bookstore/cafe, etc. The incessant testing has been one huge downside to school. Required 4 day long grade level testing, end of course exams for many classes, etc. I think the head of school counted up 30 days of lost instruction time due to mandated testing.
Nope - just the regular public school. The testing isn't done by the regular teachers? I had no idea! I'll have to ask around and get the scoop on how it works because I think DS's testing is next week. How ironic that he spends 6 weeks in a public school and they'll get the whole credit (or blame) for his match to 'standards.' And that's in quotes (okay, apostrophes...) because that's what the principal kept talking about. I do know that all of the 2nd grade teachers went with the students today.

I can't even imagine 30 days of lost instruction!!!
post #84 of 101
Happy update here

DS is loving school. Thrilled to get ready, happily rides the bus, has a blast at after-school care. He tells every person he meets about how much fun he has and has told me that he wants to go to school from now on. He's happy and I've gotten over my issues and am happy, too. What a great plan this was!
post #85 of 101
subbing in... I'll finish reading someday and post an update. I've got busy work to tend to.
post #86 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALittleBitCrunchy View Post
Happy update here

DS is loving school. Thrilled to get ready, happily rides the bus, has a blast at after-school care. He tells every person he meets about how much fun he has and has told me that he wants to go to school from now on. He's happy and I've gotten over my issues and am happy, too. What a great plan this was!


I am so happy to hear that! I know it is SOOOO hard at first. When mine went for their first days, I was a wreck! neither of them cried but I did
post #87 of 101

Our update

We had our MFE meeting wednesday, and my DD qualified for special ed under the "cognitive disability" category. She is now spending homeroom,science and social studies (both modified to pass/fail based on key concepts) in the general ed class. She spends most of the day in 2 special ed classes, the main room she works on math,reading, daily living skills and the second class she works on social skills. She has modified PE,Art, and Music. She also has speech therapy and Occupational Therapy. She will move on to 3rd grade next year, although her report cards will always be "N's" we will get the progress reports from all the special services to show her progress. She is really excited and enjoying all the new classes. I am really pumped because we can see all the progress she is making at the school. She finaly learned to write her last name and is working hard to count to 100 and to 50 by 5's..its a really slow process, but she's doing her best and we are just so happy that shes taking the baby steps she is!

R is doing great, he wishes school was full time, but hes amazing us with all the stuff he already knows! Once he "got" reading he took off, and now hes reading at a 2nd grade level (he's in K) he really loves the art projects and fun stuff they do. He now wants to be a teacher when he grows up.

The kids are keeping me very busy with field trips, field days, and presentations coming up next month. Time is FLYING!

I am soooo glad we moved to this district, I have a feeling in the old district the kids would have never gotten the attention or the challenges they need to keep them interested. DD was teased so bad at the other school they had her convinced she had head lice and it was going to kill her so she was really losing an interest in even going. DS was so bored with the work and said all his teacher did was yell at the other kids for acting up.

All in all we are happy with the transition, and at this point don't have any plans on returning to homeschooling next year. For us at least the challenges with DD were very rough when having DS at home who needed more then we were able to give him at that point. I do miss having them home sometimes, but then I think about it, and its the best for all of us.
post #88 of 101
I'll never catch up so I am just jumping in.

ALittleBitCrunchy, we straddle the lines and have had similar issues with homeschool groups based on religion, not my working. I'll agree with the emotionally draining part and a jumble of feelings surrounding the whole thing but overall, things are better.

ds1 home for now
dd1 1 year in ps, dd2 started ps Feb 1, dd3 starting k in fall
ds2 age 2 and at home with me

My girls like school - it is all social for them. It is much as I expected which means some days I don't get it but whatever works, some day I am furious, some days I work to make it better, most days I am just glad my girls are happy and know that I still have some influence over who they are and who they are becoming. The teachers are fine, the principal would be better off working with older kids, the institutional apsects bother me most. We did it because homeschooling wasn't working between dd1 and me, dd2 is a much longer story. NOw it seems we are transitioning out of the homeschooling business for so many reasons.
post #89 of 101
We're wrapping up the end of the year here, which is causing alot of pining for HS'ing in both kids as this time of year they were so happy to be outside and doing lots of field trips, hiking and such. DD is generally happy in school...it's social for her but she likes some of her classes alot and a few of the teachers. She thinks she'll go back in the fall (8th). However, when she is around certain HS friends we still hang around, she really walks that proverbial fence about what to do.

DS will most likely go back to homeschooling in the fall. His foray into public school wasn't as enthusiastic or successful (in social and emotional ways, academically he's tops) it's caused quite alot of anxiety. I no longer buy into the theory that kids on the autism spectrum or ADHD children NEED to go to school for social reasons.

I have mixed feelings. I like the me/alone/quiet time. Though, looking at the situation, it's not worth what he endures on a daily basis.
post #90 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezykids View Post
DS will most likely go back to homeschooling in the fall. His foray into public school wasn't as enthusiastic or successful (in social and emotional ways, academically he's tops) it's caused quite alot of anxiety. I no longer buy into the theory that kids on the autism spectrum or ADHD children NEED to go to school for social reasons.
What are you going to do for him social? My older DD is on the autism spectrum and we will never go back to homeschooling her. It is completley socially isolating for her because no one bothers to speak to her. (I'm pretty annoyed at the entire homeschooling world and all the hype). Her school as been awesome and the teachers have REALLY worked to draw her in.

Every situation is different, but I'm curious because I could never find a way to meet my DDs complex social needs via homeschooling, and yet school isn't a perfect fit either. She currently attends school on a reduced schedule, which really helps with her sensory stuff.

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you that kids on the autism spectrum don't necessariy need school, but I do think they need *something.* What that something is is a fuzzy area for me.

Next year both my DDs will attend a private alternative school. We are very excited about it. We are being moved this summer for my DH's job and we are thrilled to have this new option.
post #91 of 101
<I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you that kids on the autism spectrum don't necessariy need school, but I do think they need *something.* What that something is is a fuzzy area for me.>

Fuzzy for me too. Like I said, I do have mixed feelings about it. His IEP meeting is Monday. Currently he is under 504 as "ADHD" and getting social support with the social worker about 3x a month. She said he's doing well. He's taken a bit of a plunge though the last few months.

His S/L eval was fine, the S/L teacher even put "mature for age" because of how he speaks. We have his private psychologist involved with the school too now. But, unless the school or psychologist give him the ASD dx, he won't qualify under an IEP for such. There is always OHI and that is probably what will happen IF he goes back in the fall.

He has...no friends. He plays alone at recess He had two friends at the beginning of the year but both moved kids think he is weird, he gets too close to them, talks about topics of his interest (electronics for example).

Home is very isolating for him and that worries me. However, before spring break he was SO anxious he was licking his mouth/cheek area so much that it bled. During spring break, it healed. School is causing him so much anxiety..so..unless they help him in that area too, I'm pulling him out. He needs a break during the day, or something like your dd has...which...as far as I know...isn't an option in our area. I'm annoyed too at the fact that my ds's science teacher didn't even know he was under a 504 until JANUARY...when she said something to his main teacher that he had changed. Grrrrr! WTH!?

We have tossed around private schools...there are some good ones around here, that are open ended/child led but with some structure too..smaller classrooms..which is what he needs.

What is the private school like where you are moving??
post #92 of 101
Thread Starter 
[QUOTE=Sneezykids;15349431 We have his private psychologist involved with the school too now. But, unless the school [B]or psychologist give him the ASD dx[/B], he won't qualify under an IEP for such. There is always OHI and that is probably what will happen IF he goes back in the fall. </QUOTE>

the ASD dx is a bit like a magic pass. What is OHI?

Quote:
kids think he is weird, he gets too close to them, talks about topics of his interest (electronics for example).
Have you guys tried a social skills class? My DD is one through a school for autism (it's an afterschool program for kids who are high functioning and mainstreamed or mostly mainstreamed at school) and it's GREAT for her. Right now they are working on conversational skills. You could ask the school social worker if she knows of any. We are paying for it (the joy of things that aren't through school and aren't covered by insurance) but I really feel like it will make a difference in her life.

Can you find any clubs for people who share his same passion/obsession? May be something that is mostly grown ups?

DD is going to a week of computer camp this summer and is very excited about it.

Quote:
What is the private school like where you are moving??
It's an open school with mixed age homerooms. There is a green house, an animal center with goats and chickens, and a dark room. The campus has 10 acres, most of which is wild with paths. The middle school and high school students have some requirements (like they all have to be in an appropriate math class) but they have a lot of freedom over which classes they take. The creative writing teacher takes her students of writing retreats a couple of times a year. When the kids aren't in one of their classes, they can do pretty much whatever they want -- go for a walk, make art, hang out with the animals etc.

My DD is super excited about it. Right now she is planning on taking math, a creative writing class, photography, science, and a language (either sign or latin).
post #93 of 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
It's an open school with mixed age homerooms. There is a green house, an animal center with goats and chickens, and a dark room. The campus has 10 acres, most of which is wild with paths. The middle school and high school students have some requirements (like they all have to be in an appropriate math class) but they have a lot of freedom over which classes they take. The creative writing teacher takes her students of writing retreats a couple of times a year. When the kids aren't in one of their classes, they can do pretty much whatever they want -- go for a walk, make art, hang out with the animals etc.
Sounds like an awesome school! I'd want to go hang out too. LOL
post #94 of 101
We've decided to go back to homeschooling my 7 yr. old next year. He's had a great year in first grade, but we are moving and he didn't get into the magnet school we wanted. I could send him to a different school but honestly, I haven't been impressed by the curriculum here in Ann Arbor where the schools are supposed to be great, and I can't imagine a faltering city school district will be better. He has gotten good grades but I don't think he's learned much. He definitely hasn't learned any math (started at a 2nd grade level and had to do busywork below his level all year); the science and social studies curriculum is weak at best; his handwriting still stinks.

My little guy is going to kindergarten next year so we'll still be school-schoolers, but unless Julian gets into our school of choice, he'll probably be home for 2nd and 3rd. Although if he drives me totally nuts at home, he might have to go to school!
post #95 of 101
<the ASD dx is a bit like a magic pass. What is OHI?>

Yes, LOL. BUT, the MET meeting was yesterday...for an IEP..he did not qualify under ASD. So, he'll still be under 504 if he stays there. OHI is Other Health Impaired. It umbrellas a myriad of things if one doesn't get an IEP.


<Have you guys tried a social skills class? >

Per his 504 ds has seen the school social worker all year, about 3-4x a month for small group social skills work. She said he's done wonderful. He was a bit off kilter from January on...but overall doing well.

I would like to get him into more things but with all day school and twice weekly Little League games ( that last 1.5 hours!) he's pretty tired. I'm looking for something for the summer...he's really into Lego robotics.


<It's an open school with mixed age homerooms. >

This school sounds wonderful!!! I wish we were closer and could afford a school like this! There is one but the drive and cost...
post #96 of 101


How is everyone doing now that the school year is coming to an end ?

post #97 of 101
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaliMommy View Post


How is everyone doing now that the school year is coming to an end ?

Super!

My kids are going to the alternative school next year. We just got back from a visit to our new city and they got to spend last Friday at the school. They both really like it.

I feel like it's the best of what I wanted from homeschooling and what works about school.
post #98 of 101
Can I join you all in this thread? I have been HSing my almost 9 year old DD since kindy. DH has never really been on board, and long story shorter, I have finally agreed to try PS for a semester next fall. DD loves HSing and has never wanted to go to school, but of course, she is excited now that I have talked it up for her .

I am pretty much heart broken and just feel like a failure, and like I have given up and have lots of mixed feelings. She will be entering 4th grade, so I do think it is a good year to try school if she is going to do so. I have no idea what we would do for middle school since the public school ones here are stinky--so either HS again or private.

So we finally made the decision, only to find out that the school we want is not accepting in-district transfers. All of dd's friends (from soccer and church about 13+ girls) go to that school. We have never fit in with the local HSers, and I have given up on co-ops etc. Anyway, I am in limbo, and am just ready to make peace with whatever happens.

I have a younger dd who I will HS for kindy next year. Amazingly, dh is really encouraging that I spend that alone time with her. I am really hanging onto that and looking forward to the ease of kindy (esp since she can already read!)
post #99 of 101
Well, I guess we are ready to sign off of this thread for awhile. We're closing out dd's last few weeks of school for the foreseeable future. There have been many great lessons learned and positive experiences from her school. I'm glad we took a shot at something different. However, I am equally glad that we are returning to homeschool for awhile.

She has learned to keep track of assignments, take notes, had 2 very good teachers, learned to tolerate a really poor teacher, and deal with one nice teacher with a really boring class. She'll have 4 'A's (barring last minute disaster) on her high school transcript from a highly ranked high school, if you buy into those ranking systems. She learned that she can 'handle' school if that is what she wants. She's met many nice kids, and puzzled over the strange behavior of others - but nothing mean, just kids who don't want to learn stuff. She's learned what she misses about the freedom of homeschooling.

She may return sometime in the future - the school says they will have her back whenever she would like. They have been wonderful and flexible in many ways. I think we will most likely homeschool and do dual enrollment and online classes until college. But, you never know - we may be back!
post #100 of 101


I will be very much pushing that dh let me homeschool Alex come fall. Doing it DH's way which was having her go to 1st grade has pretty much showed she doesn't do well in school at all.
She ended up finally being tested in Jan/Feb by the school IEP started in March.
I am now realizing how much i disagree with the IEP in that it states how her homework has been modified to fit her needs yet the testing they did showed for like math that anything above a k.9 level *i.e. kindergarten 9months*would be very difficult for her, yet she is still expected to do 1st grade work.
School ends June 18th and it should be interesting to find out if a whopping 2 months of having a IEP has really helped her at all.
She was in a intensive reading program in a general education setting and made little to no progress.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at School
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › former homeschoolers now going to school -- 2nd term