or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › November 2009 › The 2 month vaccine decision
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The 2 month vaccine decision - Page 2

post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMama01 View Post
What do you do about daycare? I ask because that's the situation I'm in. I go back to work in March and want to delay vaxing the first year, but don't feel like I have options since I don't SAH.
That's a good point, I hadn't thought about how that might inform a person's decision re: vaxxing.
post #22 of 31
Not vaccinating. I was a little nervous about getting him into the "system" but found a lovely Dr who actually did a home visit for our two month appt. Vaccine injury is a real risk in our family, so we're not even chancing it again. Thankfully our Dr agrees.
post #23 of 31
Officially we are delaying/selectively vaxing. Unofficially... I don't plan to inject anything into DS. I'm just waiting for DH to come around and decide that not vaxing is really his idea.

DD (age 3.5) was vaccinated on schedule through her 2 year well baby exam, and I wish I hadn't done it. I don't plan to continue her vaccines at her 4 year well child exam.

I am in Texas, and we have a lose philosophical exemption available here, so that's what we're doing for preschool. I've already checked with the director at her current school, since it's a private school, and they are fine with the state's exemption form.

It was only AFTER we decided not to have DS vaxed that my mom said, "Oh, yeah, you and your sister both had bad reactions to DTP." Gee mom, that would have been nice to know three years ago when we let our daughter's pediatrician pump her full of chemicals. Our current pediatrician, btw, is totally fine with us not vaccinating.
post #24 of 31
I'd love to know where you all find these pediatricians who are fine with delayed/selective/no vax!
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExuberantDaffodil View Post
I'd love to know where you all find these pediatricians who are fine with delayed/selective/no vax!
via a suggestion on the tribal board for my area on MDC
post #26 of 31
Maddy already had her 2 month vaccines and no issues. After her being in the hospital in NICU, I am taking no chances with her. My larger concern was the selective RSV shot...I had never even heard of RSV but after researching it and finding out what can happen to babies like mine who are at risk because of her lung issues/intubation at birth - I feel 100% good about my choice. I didn't realize that what appears as a common cold for us could be so deadly to infants and since DH and I both teach, I know I would bring it home sooner or later...
post #27 of 31
We're not vaxing at all, for the foreseeable future. If I read or learn something at some point that convinces me that X vaccine is worth the risk, that may change. For now, we're exclusively breastfeeding, SAHM'ing and keeping ourselves healthy and doing lots of handwashing for prevention.

One thing we are thinking about is getting DTaP boosters for me and DH, per ped's recommendation, to lessen the chances of baby getting pertussis. (Ped was not concerned about polio or hepB, but was about pertussis, Hib, and pneumococcal). However, I need to look into that before deciding... *Did anyone else do something like this??
post #28 of 31
I can't decide WHAT I'm doing. :0( I started out very pro-vaccine, just not on the current schedule. But the more research I do, the less inclined I feel to vaccinate her at all. I am scared of the diseases but I'm also scared of the vaccines' reactions and injection my precious, perfect daughter with *junk*. Sigh. This is far and away the most difficult decision I've made so far.
post #29 of 31
It is a tough choice, but the thing is, you can't "un" vaccinate; once they have their shots, there is no undoing them.

As for how I found out about peds; I asked my midwife and she marked some on their general ped's list that she thought were open, she said you can ask the nursery nurses, as they get the question alot, and if you see a chiropractor or know one, (especially one that has kids), they will often know too, of some that are at least a little open minded.

Our ped also seems most concerned about pertussis. but since there is not a sep. vaccine that is just that . . .and there would be addititives and crap I don't like in it anyway . . .I WAH the majority of the time, and DS isn't out much, and we take what precautions you can. I'd rather do that, than deal with a reaction to a vaccine.
post #30 of 31
My hb midwife gave me two doctor's names. One my mother knew to have rotten reputation in town, and I called the other doctor the day A was born to schedule her newborn checkup; the lady on the phone asked me at what hospital the baby was born. I said, "She was born at home early this morning." The receptionist said, "We don't take homebirth babies" and hung up on me. After having a crying fit, I frantically called the pediatrician I have used for my son since he was born, and she agreed to have us come in for the newborn check. But that practice will not accept patients who are not vaxed on schedule. So there goes my informed decisions.

re: pertussis -- my mom is a picu nurse and she sees this one and rsv the most and is the most concerned about those two.
post #31 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariacm View Post
One thing we are thinking about is getting DTaP boosters for me and DH, per ped's recommendation, to lessen the chances of baby getting pertussis. (Ped was not concerned about polio or hepB, but was about pertussis, Hib, and pneumococcal). However, I need to look into that before deciding... *Did anyone else do something like this??
DH got his Tdap booster before DS was born (they have them at the Walgreen's clinics) and I got mine when he was about 3 weeks old. My parents got boosters as well. I know the childhood vaccination immunity wears off--I got whooping cough in college.

I'm selectively/delayed vaxing and have a similar thought process about newborns as your ped, sounds like. DS got DTaP and HIB at his 2 month visit and will get the Prevnar at a shot only 3 month visit. I would have given him the DTaP/HIB/Polio combo Pentacel to reduce the number of sticks, but the Ped's office was out and he got the two separate sticks and I skipped the polio because it's low on my priority list. He also got the Rotateq at the 2 month visit but I was really on the fence about it and had decided to do it (since you can only get the 3 dose series if you start at 8 weeks) but to discontinue if he had any ill effects but he did not.

It's really really hard to decide. I have found the Sears Vaccine book helpful, but I just hate the whole "rolling the dice with my baby's health" feeling that making these decisions gives me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: November 2009
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › November 2009 › The 2 month vaccine decision