Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate
Nobody told me:
* breastfeeding would be worse than labor and more agonizing - but totally worth every second
* that my c-section meant that for the next 3+ mo, I would be wearing granny panties (I hate those things!)
* afterpains! Nobody even mentions those!
* sex after a c-section SUCKS. Most positions do nothing but remind you of your scar, and you're so horribly tight and dry.... yuck. We didn't have comfortable sex for months.
* post-c-section, you feel like your insides are going to fall out every time you move. I had a towel wrapped around my belly just to move from the bed to a chair.
* your scar is EXACTLY where baby likes kicking while they nurse.
* PPD might not show up for months, so keep watch!
That's kinda a sad list.... I'm trying to come up with a positive to my postpartum period with DS, but there's not much.
I'm excited to actually get to hold my baby after my HBAC this time! And take a shower after giving birth! What a luxury!
i had a c/s too (two actually) and not all of this was true for me (not to be contrary, just another perspective!!).
i had such easy recoveries that i overdid it after #2 was born (back to my regular routine within 2 weeks pp, including wearing my newborn for a 3 hour trip downtown). so, my bleeding, which was totally gone, came back. it was about 8 weeks until all of the spotting was entirely gone.
other than that, i never felt any incision pain. i could nurse without a pillow and didn't feel anything, and getting up and down was fine. i mean, it hurt to use my abs for a week or so, but just that one second. oh, well, laughing hurt! i remember after DD1 was born i had to turn off arrested development because it hurt too much to laugh.
sex was another story though! it didn't hurt my incision, just my vagina. but i am one of those women who goes DEEPLY into that pseudo-menopause of nursing, so being dry with the thin vaginal walls was the problem. DD2 is 20 mos old yet and i still haven't gotten my period back. i still have problems with dryness, too. and desire... poor DH!
i wasn't expecting to have so much milk! i also didn't realize the side i wasn't nursing on would spray like it did. a bit shocking the first time! oh, or how BIG my boobs would be when my milk came in. i felt like i'd gone to the hospital for a tummy tuck and a boob job! :-P
it's different for everyone of course, but it can be super easy and blissful like it was for me.