Wow, what a question.
And this is from someone who never thought I would consider a home birth.
Some of the highlights:
- going for a walk in my neighborhood with my mom, a midwife student, husband and dog to work through contractions
- being able to keep my energy up with juice, fruit, honey, and sublingual B vitamins
- when I was having trouble getting anywhere, it was recommended I push on the toilet...if I had been anywhere other than home, I would have been obsessing about being on someone else's toilet
- when it was over, being able to get in my own cozy bed and fall asleep with my husband and baby...no drive home, no scratchy hospital sheets
- knowing that my body was able to do something so incredible without drugs or much assistance, so empowering
My active labor was 26 hours long, so being that I hate being in a hospital if I don't have to be, I think I would have gone nuts if I had been there that long.