or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alaska Mama chat - Feb! - Page 4

post #61 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
I want to save up some money to get my OWN little cabin in the woods.

So, where do you take showers and what's the nicest laundry mat Fairbanks mommas?

In GSV, I do laundry at Soapy Smith's, the laundromat right by the Goldstream Store, but really the drive into town to do laundry at B&C (by College Coffeehouse) is sooo much more worth it. VIP laundry is also reputedly quite good. Don't take showers at SS, the water smells like sulfur, it's pretty disgusting.

ETA: Mary Siah. You can get a great shower for only $3. Plus if you buy a punch card for free swim, you & the kids can swim *and* shower. It's great!
post #62 of 94
I was driving to pick up my kiddos today and I saw GRASS! It was brown, but it was grass! So excited about spring!

It means I get closer to my little girl!
post #63 of 94
Quote:
I was driving to pick up my kiddos today and I saw GRASS!
We have brown grass showing here as well. I am trying not to get to excited about it though. When it come to when spring is going to come I am a glass half empty person. Everything else I am a glass half full kind of person, but I remember always gettng excited this time of year in high school when we would have a thaw then being disappointed when it would snow again.

Not a whole lot happening here, our well went dry about a week and a half ago so we are dealing with that and my hubby is about to leave for work so I get to deal with it alone. Grrr oh well I guess I am pretty used to it.

How is everyone elses week going?
post #64 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcowgirl View Post
I remember always gettng excited this time of year in high school when we would have a thaw then being disappointed when it would snow again.
I am sure it will snow again, but just think about this.. whatever melts now will not have to melt again when spring really sets in... so "work it down to the ground" imho.
post #65 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
What?? NO posts in 2 days??? Are you all Ill?

Speaking of Doctors, get this! So Dh was sent to a heart specialist for some testing (nothing serious). First appointment gets rescheduled via Phone call. Second Appointment gets rescheduled after DH was IN the waiting room for almost 1 hour! Turns out the Doctor left for the day to go on vacation? (thanks for the warning) Third appointment was then "rescheduled" after DH was there and checked-in and IN THE EXAM ROOM for over an HOUR! He finally went to see what was going on and there was NO ONE in the office except the receptionist who looks like she did not have a clue what was going on. She just said they will have to reschedule.
Yeah right! Like that is going to happen! I told DH to file a complaint! 3 times? and being LEFT in the exam room?? That has got to be the lowest of the low! can you tell I am pissed? He has to take time of from work for this kind of crap. Grrr....

Cool stuff in my life. I went back to work for the Census. Pay is great and if any of you stay at home mom's or what have you, are looking for a little bit of extra cash can check it out. THey are ramping up their hiring for the next couple of phases. Enumerators make $25 and hour and seems they dont have quality help coming from the Fairbanks area so I told them I knew some great people in Fairbanks and I would pass the word they were looking!

Oh, I am also looking at doing another Surrogacy. I found a localish couple to help. They are in Soldotna and there is a couple in Georgia that looks interested. They are going through an agency and I will find out today or so, if our phone interview went well.

My DD is 16! We went to the blood bank and donated yesterday! I'm so proud of her!
Unfortunately my Iron was still too low to donate but it is going up so that is good.

Not much else is new. Hope you all are having a great weekend!
I am SO sorry your husband went through that.

I had similar experiences when I was pg w/ my 14yo. Heart issues that were coming to the fore, and we didn't know what it was. Apparently, my internal med guy didn't know either, and he kept putting me off, canceling, etc. I was literally prostrate with a constant HR of about 190. When I complained, he sent me a certified letter saying I wasn't "nice enough" to his receptionist and that he could no longer be my physican.

Lucky for me! I finally got some answers with serious testing in Anch. I hope your husband finds a new cardio, there are some awesome ones in the ANch area.

love, p
post #66 of 94
My baby turned 2 yesterday....**sniff** My big girl will 6 next Friday.

Penelope: how does karate work once they are out of the Dragons? Is there a scheduled time/day for new orange belts with Master Wick?

Jenn
post #67 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I am sure it will snow again, but just think about this.. whatever melts now will not have to melt again when spring really sets in... so "work it down to the ground" imho.
Very Very True!!! Maybe that means the snow around my house will melt before the end of May and I could possible get things in the garden!!!
post #68 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
What?? NO posts in 2 days??? Are you all Ill?
I wasn't, but two kids and the computer all were.

Quote:
Cool stuff in my life. I went back to work for the Census. Pay is great and if any of you stay at home mom's or what have you, are looking for a little bit of extra cash can check it out. THey are ramping up their hiring for the next couple of phases. Enumerators make $25 and hour and seems they dont have quality help coming from the Fairbanks area so I told them I knew some great people in Fairbanks and I would pass the word they were looking!
Do you have a contact number on that? After how fast our tax return went I'm feeling very interested
post #69 of 94
I guess I know where I will be this weekend..

http://www.sugarandspiceak.com/MainPage.html

Quote:
Sugar and Spice, A Children's Ecotique is announcing that it will be closing its
doors until further notice.
post #70 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post
My baby turned 2 yesterday....**sniff** My big girl will 6 next Friday.

Penelope: how does karate work once they are out of the Dragons? Is there a scheduled time/day for new orange belts with Master Wick?

Jenn
Jenn, I am a little confused--- did he just graduate LD? Usually they all graduate together at the end of a school year?

My 4 go on M/W mostly, and there is a class of new orange belts from 4:30-5:30 just before the Tiny Tigers (in the small room) and Green belts (in the large room).

If in doubt, always ask Mrs. Gebhardt. That's the secret!

P
post #71 of 94
Oh, and Jenn, you can also go to ANY Friday night class (5:30-6:30) and find answers. It's another all-is-welcome class. (Older kids can go 6:30 to 7:30, regardless of belt, but my kids go whenever as long as they're well behaved).

love, p
post #72 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I guess I know where I will be this weekend..

http://www.sugarandspiceak.com/MainPage.html
I went in last week to pick up some consignment $. She has a brand new baby boy, he was 9 days old and sleeping in a pouch - so precious! Sounds like she's a bit overwhelmed with two littles and running the shop, but plans to reopen at some point in the future...? She's sending consignment sales to Sweet Camo, above Arctic Playgroundz on Arctic.
post #73 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

Do you have a contact number on that? After how fast our tax return went I'm feeling very interested
Census Jobs

My husband is working for them now! He got his "call" tonight and starts training on Monday! CALL THEM!
post #74 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I guess I know where I will be this weekend..

http://www.sugarandspiceak.com/MainPage.html
oh no!
post #75 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
I went in last week to pick up some consignment $. She has a brand new baby boy, he was 9 days old and sleeping in a pouch - so precious! Sounds like she's a bit overwhelmed with two littles and running the shop, but plans to reopen at some point in the future...? She's sending consignment sales to Sweet Camo, above Arctic Playgroundz on Arctic.
the Sweet Camo lady was a surrogate too! I have yet to meet her in person but I will!
post #76 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Census Jobs

My husband is working for them now! He got his "call" tonight and starts training on Monday! CALL THEM!
I got on their list to be called when they are ready to test/hire in Homer. I have slightly mixed feelings, because on the one hand I could arrange my schedule to only go out when DH is home (and he's a teacher so he's home by 4 most days), but on the other hand I know I'd have to leave the baby with him, and baby isn't quite 4m yet. That's pretty young. Still, if I can get even 10hrs/wk that's $1000/mo that I can put straight toward debt, and if I can get 20hrs that's $2000...and wow would that make a difference in our financial situation. We paid off one credit card with the tax return, and if we can pay off a second like this our montly budget would be so much prettier.
post #77 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I got on their list to be called when they are ready to test/hire in Homer. I have slightly mixed feelings, because on the one hand I could arrange my schedule to only go out when DH is home (and he's a teacher so he's home by 4 most days), but on the other hand I know I'd have to leave the baby with him, and baby isn't quite 4m yet. That's pretty young. Still, if I can get even 10hrs/wk that's $1000/mo that I can put straight toward debt, and if I can get 20hrs that's $2000...and wow would that make a difference in our financial situation. We paid off one credit card with the tax return, and if we can pay off a second like this our montly budget would be so much prettier.
I agree. They want you to work and they need quality workers but having to get a whole week to attend training is not available for more people. My DH, for example.....well turns out they screwed up and told him one DAY when they meant one WEEK! There is no way he can take a week off with only a 2 day notice. Talk about dropping the ball.
post #78 of 94
Penelope, no, Bekah will graduate LD in May with everyone else but we're trying to get a handle on what the weekly schedule will be for next school year. Mrs. G talked to Master Wick for us and he said Bekah can be in any class that works for us, but that's it's only for her. We've been to almost every Super Saturday for two years and the other LDs are hardly ever there. He knows Bekah really well and he even knows Jonathan pretty well! We just can't run 4 nights a week next year - we're all exhausted by Thursday night!

Now I'm gearing up for Bekah's 6th birthday party next Friday night. We've gotten 4 responses so far and I know everyone else will call Wed. if not Thurs. night.

Jenn
post #79 of 94
Quick rant..

I have been trying to find a carseat that will fit the new babe during the newborn phase, that would grow with her, and still not take up too much space in the minivan since the other kids will have to squeeze in there too..

I found one I really like but NO ONE would ship it to me..

why in the world is it true that we live in an era where people can take a vacation trip into space, but carseats are not eligible for shipping to Alaska?


My sister made my day, though. She said not only would she ship me the carseat, she would buy me the one I wanted, too!

http://www.overstock.com/Baby/The-Fi...8/product.html

I like this one because the infant padding seems like it will keep the baby from flopping around too much, plus the headrest is removable, to make the seat smaller while rear facing..
post #80 of 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
What?? NO posts in 2 days??? Are you all Ill?

Speaking of Doctors, get this! So Dh was sent to a heart specialist for some testing (nothing serious). First appointment gets rescheduled via Phone call. Second Appointment gets rescheduled after DH was IN the waiting room for almost 1 hour! Turns out the Doctor left for the day to go on vacation? (thanks for the warning) Third appointment was then "rescheduled" after DH was there and checked-in and IN THE EXAM ROOM for over an HOUR! He finally went to see what was going on and there was NO ONE in the office except the receptionist who looks like she did not have a clue what was going on. She just said they will have to reschedule.
Yeah right! Like that is going to happen! I told DH to file a complaint! 3 times? and being LEFT in the exam room?? That has got to be the lowest of the low! can you tell I am pissed? He has to take time of from work for this kind of crap. Grrr....

Cool stuff in my life. I went back to work for the Census. Pay is great and if any of you stay at home mom's or what have you, are looking for a little bit of extra cash can check it out. THey are ramping up their hiring for the next couple of phases. Enumerators make $25 and hour and seems they dont have quality help coming from the Fairbanks area so I told them I knew some great people in Fairbanks and I would pass the word they were looking!

Oh, I am also looking at doing another Surrogacy. I found a localish couple to help. They are in Soldotna and there is a couple in Georgia that looks interested. They are going through an agency and I will find out today or so, if our phone interview went well.

My DD is 16! We went to the blood bank and donated yesterday! I'm so proud of her!
Unfortunately my Iron was still too low to donate but it is going up so that is good.

Not much else is new. Hope you all are having a great weekend!
So you're the one! I knew I'd seen someone who mentioned surrogacy in AK in their siggy, but I couldn't remember who! I'll be PM-ing you . . .

Are you working for the census from home? That possibility never even occurred to me. I'm in Fairbanks and I'd love to pay my car off sooner rather than later!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii