or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

February in Seattle Chat Thread - Page 2

post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
1. Science Center-they have a dinosaur party theme. They provide everything including the cake but the max you can have it 20. That includes children and adults so just our family would 4. They have 2 or 3 activities they do with the kids. Cons are that i don't like the times they offer and its crazy pricey for my normal bday party budget-$285 plus 6/ person over the 20. I just don't know if parents will get that they should just bring one parent and the child. I have friends who would bring their spouse and the younger kids not thinking that I'm have a max. number of people.
Oooh, I'm jealous! I SOOOO wanted to do that exact dinosaur party at the Science center for dd (she has a thing for dinos! and the science center!), but there's no way we could afford it. Plus I had the same concerns as you. If my parents were to help with $, I'd have probably done it though. I'm not sure how to tactfully limit the party goers, though, so hopefully somebody out there will have some ideas.
post #22 of 32
Hey everyone!

We just got back from a recent trip to Maui (where I'm from) and are settling back in.

Just wanted to say as well that we love the Klesick family farm as well. We don't get produce from them anymore, but used to and loved them!

Does anyone have any good recommendations on a place to go snowshoeing -- somewhere in the cascades? With an almost 6YO and DS (3YO) will be on DH's back in a pack. I was picturing somewhere relatively flat, but I realized that may be hard if we are looking for snow. I think the trails DH and I used to do would be too steep. Suggestions? I found out you can rent kids snowshoes from REI for just $8/day. I thought that was relatively reasonable, especially if it is a complete bust (i.e. DD refuses to move forward and just stands there).

What other winter things are people doing?
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
Does anyone have any good recommendations on a place to go snowshoeing -- somewhere in the cascades? With an almost 6YO and DS (3YO) will be on DH's back in a pack. I was picturing somewhere relatively flat, but I realized that may be hard if we are looking for snow. I think the trails DH and I used to do would be too steep. Suggestions? I found out you can rent kids snowshoes from REI for just $8/day. I thought that was relatively reasonable, especially if it is a complete bust (i.e. DD refuses to move forward and just stands there).

What other winter things are people doing?
Have you gone on one of the USFS snowshoe walks? They are free!
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMama View Post
We just got back from a recent trip to Maui (where I'm from) and are settling back in.
Which part are you from, and which part did you visit? My parents live there, so every so often they pay for us to come visit.
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennklogan View Post
Have you gone on one of the USFS snowshoe walks? They are free!
I didn't know about this and these walks look wonderful; thanks for sharing!
post #26 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennklogan View Post
Have you gone on one of the USFS snowshoe walks? They are free!
I've done that at Stevens Pass. It was pretty fun! They acutally had snowshoes there to use but I brought my own.
post #27 of 32
Thread Starter 
I'm pretty late to answer the snowshoeing question but I can tell you about my experience in the Olympics snowshoeing. There is a path that goes to the Elwha (I think) hotsprings that is almost flat (with a very gradual incline) and its about 3 miles in. My husband and I had such a great time hiking on it (before our snowshoes which then inspired their purchase--gift actually) and at the end there is the special reward of a steamy dip in the hot springs, surrounded by snow. I'm not sure if there is snow on the path this year, but when we went it was 2-3 feet deep.

Last year we introduced the Chunk to snowshoes and it was so funny to watch him try to figure stepping with his feet spread apart. Ahhh, just another reason why we need to take a weekend trip to the mountains. I want another chance to use the snowshoes!
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennklogan View Post
Have you gone on one of the USFS snowshoe walks? They are free!
Thanks for the tip! We went to the Stevens Pass one yesterday (we were up that way for something else) and had a great time!
post #29 of 32
Thread Starter 
I'm a little slow on the uptake on this one, but I just realized I can ask this question here and probably get some good information!

I'm going to begin container gardening and from what I've learned, I would really like to get self-watering planters like this one but I haven't found them at any of the stores I have visited. Have you used these? Where did you find them? Do you feel they are worth the cost and novelty?

Another question, what do you do for soil for your container plants, especially vegetables? It seems from what I've been reading any potting soil will do, really?
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenneology View Post
I'm a little slow on the uptake on this one, but I just realized I can ask this question here and probably get some good information!

I'm going to begin container gardening and from what I've learned, I would really like to get self-watering planters like this one but I haven't found them at any of the stores I have visited. Have you used these? Where did you find them? Do you feel they are worth the cost and novelty?

Another question, what do you do for soil for your container plants, especially vegetables? It seems from what I've been reading any potting soil will do, really?
I do raised beds with veggies in them. I'd highly suggest getting the Sunset Edibles Gardening book as a resource for growing veggies. The only kind of soil you definitely shouldn't use is steer manure because of the pH. I filled my raised beds with organic compost that I bought at Home Depot, but you could definitely use potting soil in containers.
post #31 of 32
Does anyone have any kefir grains to share? I'm on the Eastside, but will travel a bit to get them!
post #32 of 32
Thread Starter 
There's no way I can do raised beds at all so I'll be stuck with containers. I do have a choice between a pea-patch in my complex or the containers and taking into account my habits, it'll be best to start on my patio and keep it close to home and the children's play area. Thanks for the info, though and I'll look into the Sunset book.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Washington, Oregon, Idaho