or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Looking for natural, safe pump-foam hand soap
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for natural, safe pump-foam hand soap

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hi all,

Not sure if this fits into this category, but wasn't sure where to post it.

I try to feed my children healthy, natural foods, and avoid chemicals in my house. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to use in the bathroom for them to wash their hands with.

I LOVE the pump foam soaps, b/c I feel that they can do a much better job of rinsing the soap off - with the regular pump soaps they put too much on and don't rinse for long enough.

However, I can not find one that isn't anti-bacterial or have dyes or perfumes in it.

Does anyone know of one? Or is it possible to make your own foam pump soap, if you have a pump foam dispenser?

thanks!!

Rachel
post #2 of 20
I put watered-down Dr Bronner's (about half and half) in a used foam pump dispenser that started out as some antibacterial soap that someone gave us as a gift. DP has no problem using those kinds of products so I just waited for him to use it all, washed the bottle, and re-purposed it. It foams exactly like the other chemical soap that came with the dispenser.

If you don't water down the Dr Bronner's, it clogs up the dispenser like mad, though.
post #3 of 20
Yes, you can make your own by just dilluting regular soap. I've had good luck with Dr. Bronner's watered down in an old foam-pump dispenser. Once in a while it would get clogged but running it under warm water got it moving again.
post #4 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV View Post
Hi all,

Not sure if this fits into this category, but wasn't sure where to post it.

I try to feed my children healthy, natural foods, and avoid chemicals in my house. I am having a hard time trying to figure out what to use in the bathroom for them to wash their hands with.

I LOVE the pump foam soaps, b/c I feel that they can do a much better job of rinsing the soap off - with the regular pump soaps they put too much on and don't rinse for long enough.

However, I can not find one that isn't anti-bacterial or have dyes or perfumes in it.

Does anyone know of one? Or is it possible to make your own foam pump soap, if you have a pump foam dispenser?

thanks!!

Rachel
This is probable crazy but I buy the foam pumps at the store and pour the bad stuff out. I then put a small amount of Dr Bronners and fill the rest of the way with warm water and shake. It works really well.
post #5 of 20
I found empty foam pump bottles!

http://purecastilesoap.com/accessories.aspx

Needless to say, I would strongly prefer buying these in the future over waiting to get another gift of chemical antibacterial soap and then waiting for it to get used up or pouring it out (which I did consider)...
post #6 of 20
I've used the same two Dawn pump dispensers for years now. I just fill them with 7th generation dish soap and we use it on our hands and our dishes too.
post #7 of 20
Another vote for Dr Bronners. Ours are in Kiss My Face bottles. Had no problem with their soap--just wanted to do something less expensive!
post #8 of 20
Another Dr. Bronners fan here, diluted with water. I have dispensers that were cheap Target foam soap, dumped them out and filled w/ Dr. B's. It was cheaper than ordering dispensers online.
post #9 of 20
Can you use just a regular pump or does it have to be a foaming pump?

I have two Dial liquid soap pumps I'd love to put Dr. Bronner's in, but they aren't foaming pumps.
post #10 of 20
I use EO soap, love them. I re-purposed foam bottles and the mix is supposed to be one part soap to six parts water. Works great, and the pumps don't get clogged.
post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Awesome -thanks everyone!

I had some California Baby body wash that I mixed with water in my foam dispensers, and it is working great! Not sure why I haven't been doing this for years!

Rachel
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybutterfly View Post
Can you use just a regular pump or does it have to be a foaming pump?
Yes, the pump is what creates the foam.
post #13 of 20
I use this website to select all my personal products

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/spl...I=%2Findex.php

You will be shocked. Some natural products can be more hazardous than the regular ones.
For example, who would have thought that an Arrid deodorant could be safer than Nature's Gate.
post #14 of 20
I like this brand for the kitchen when I need to wash my hands after handling raw meats and such. Safe and effective at killing germs without the Triclosan that every other brand seem to carry.
cleanwell
post #15 of 20
If you don't like Bronner's (I'm not a huge fan,) I really like Ballard Organics' foaming soap. You can refill them with their liquid soap, by diluting it 1:4. I really love their tangerine and lemongrass scents, and I usually hate scented stuff. Their soaps use only essential oils as fragrances, so they don't bother me, but they also have unscented.
post #16 of 20
I got a bunch of foaming pumps from my work (they were putting them in the recycling bins!). I've also gotten some over freecycle. I just add a squirt (about 1T.) of Dr. Bronner's and fill the rest with water.

I did this originally b/c i didn't want to waste the Dr. B's by squirting it from the bottle into my hands--you get way more than you need!
post #17 of 20
We have been using CleanWell which you can buy at Target of all places. A pediatrician friend recommended it to me. It is biodegradable and paraben and triclosan free. All-natural.

We have been really happy with it. I LOVE the spearmint lime scent.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
If you don't like Bronner's (I'm not a huge fan,) I really like Ballard Organics' foaming soap. You can refill them with their liquid soap, by diluting it 1:4. I really love their tangerine and lemongrass scents, and I usually hate scented stuff. Their soaps use only essential oils as fragrances, so they don't bother me, but they also have unscented.
CorasMama - Have you found that Ballardorganics is less drying than Bronner's? Also I loved to support a local place, even if its from our previous hometown.

I bought a couple of Dr. B's and I just have found using them has been extremely drying to my skin, our kiddos and etc.

Sorry to thread hijack!!
post #19 of 20
we love deep steep foaming hand wash...comes in 6 different scents and frontier carries it:

http://www.deepsteep.com/cgi-bin/sho..._option=1&0=02
post #20 of 20
We got one of these sets as a wedding gift two years ago:

http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering...ords=soap pump

We're still using the original pump two years later... you could use any old pump bottle, but I particularly like this one because it has lines on the side to fill for soap and water.... so easy that the kids I used to babysit have refilled it for me. We fill it with peppermint Dr. Bronner's and haven't had any issues with it being drying wih the ratios we use even in cold winter months.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Natural Body Care
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Looking for natural, safe pump-foam hand soap