or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › May 2010 › has anyone used a diaper service?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

has anyone used a diaper service?

post #1 of 26
Thread Starter 
hubby and i have an old, coin operated washing machine in the basement of our apartment, accessible from the outside. we hang all laundry to dry and it takes up lots of space in apartment. we were thinking that cloth diapering would be much easier if we used a local diaper service-$19.50 a week for 70 prefolds. Anyone used one and care to share their experience?
post #2 of 26
I have not but wanted to...it seemed like there was only one around here, and that they needed a couple people in the same town to be able to do it, so I decided to forgo it. I wish a couple more would crop up around here!
post #3 of 26
We looked into it and decided that it was counterproductive to much of what we were trying to achieve with cloth diapers, i.e. alleviating harmful chemical exposure for baby and earth.

Most diaper services use some pretty hardcore chemicals to clean the diapers and then use bleach to get the diapers white.

That said, there might be a "green" one in your area that does not. We don't have any in our area that met this criteria which is odd given how many "filthy treehuggers" live in the city
post #4 of 26
As a shower gift (knowing we were not going the disposable route) I was gifted 6 months of diaper service. It was really nice. I really loved diapering and thought that having it all taken care of for me was really nice when I was a working mama and just trying to figure everything out. I can imagine in your place using a coin op laundry would make using cloth much more difficult. I would most definitely opt for a diaper service over doing all the work myself if I had to go to the basement to pay to wash dipes, and hanging them to dry every day (every few days). We wash our dipes and hang dry them at least once a week, but it's nice to have the speed of getting them though the dryer too. One of the things that *I* prefer about cloth is that I don't feel :bad: at all taking a barely wet diaper off and tossing it in the hamper. I'd rather have a clean fresh one on all the time. Not having to worry about when and how much the laundry will fit into the schedule is really helpful. Not to mention the times I've tossed my dipes in the washer before bed and let them soak all night and then run the machine in the morning.

We ended buying our own stash of diapers shortly before our gift was up because of an extended trip. We were leaving on the trip the day before our diapers were supposed to come (so leaving with a bunch of dirty dipes) and rather than buy disposables for the trip, we went ahead and created a stash and then stopped the diaper service shortly after.


I think in your case, if it is available it would be great for you!! It was awesome for me when I needed it!
post #5 of 26
Subbing because we're planning to use a service too. We have a washer/dryer and I'd sort of rather do my own, but DP is sold on the service and so I'm willing to give it a go and see how it works out...
post #6 of 26
Thread Starter 
our other option would be to go to the laundromat once a week to wash diapers. diaper service would be once a week pick up as well. i like the idea of supporting diaper service/WAHM business but cost effectiveness is important as well..
post #7 of 26
I did! It was wonderful. We didn't have a washer/dryer for a while and this allowed us to CD when otherwise we wouldn't have been able to. It was very cost effective, and I adored how soft and broken in all the prefolds were. All we had to buy were a few covers and some Snappis.
post #8 of 26
My MIL offered to buy us a year's worth of diapering service. But, I think something like this:

http://www.lge.com/us/appliances/was...mbos/index.jsp (WFS)

would be a much better use of money. Especially if you are planning on having more than 1 child and diapering for more than 1 year (uhhh, yeah).

Note that the above washer/dryer combo can be put ANYWHERE, do not need external vent source. You can put them in closets, etc.

This is what I am hoping to get for a baby present
post #9 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrett View Post
My MIL offered to buy us a year's worth of diapering service. But, I think something like this:

http://www.lge.com/us/appliances/was...mbos/index.jsp (WFS)

would be a much better use of money. Especially if you are planning on having more than 1 child and diapering for more than 1 year (uhhh, yeah).

Note that the above washer/dryer combo can be put ANYWHERE, do not need external vent source. You can put them in closets, etc.

This is what I am hoping to get for a baby present
Hey, that looks sweet. How do you think the long cycle time and steam (instead of water) will do for diapers?
post #10 of 26
Yes, we used a diaper service for our son for the first 4 months and will do so again in May for our daughter.
It is an amazing thing so convenient.
Re. chemicals and bleach, there are public health standards that a diaper service must adhere to b/c simply its the law and they are washing mass amounts of diapers all together in the same industrial washers *shrug* Its how they have to do it for sanitary reasons.
Our son is a very fair and sensitive skinned little guy and never once has he had a rash or was affected by any necessary use of bleach on the diaper service's part.
We did our research and our service here which is family-run and been around since the 1930's employs a very stringent and elaborate 11+ step process you could not even try to duplicate at home and that yes includes bleach. The bleach is not used in the last 4 or so steps so it is long rinsed away by the time it comes to your house. We never once smelled anything bleachy or bad-smelling and the prefolds are immaculate, clean, spotless and very soft.
I understand not using chemicals i.e. bleach when its in your private home and only touching your baby's bum but in a diaper service situation, you certainly want them to clean the diapers in the mandated, proper sanitizing way.
Once we got to month 4 with our son, we got our own stash and we launder them ourselves in either Bio-Kleen or Country Save and our woolies in Eucalan but yeah, we have no problem with how our diaper service cleans their diapers and are looking forward to not having to deal with all the hassle of newborn diapers- so many!

A plus of diaper services is that they further reduce one's carbon footprint b/c all your diapers are being washed all at once together with others so it uses less power and less water than if you did it at home.
Here's a stat quote on that...
"Commercially laundered cotton diapers use one-half the energy of home washed and one-third the energy of disposable diapers. Home laundering uses 2.5 times as much net water per diaper change than diaper service."

And a lot of diaper services like ours I know use trucks run on natural gas which is better environmentally too.
Anyway, if you have a service in your area, I say take advantage of it esp. if you live in an apt. and would have to use a coin-op machine.
We now live in a house and have an LG steam machine but we were in your position with our son and it was not easy.
Good luck!
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
A plus of diaper services is that they further reduce one's carbon footprint b/c all your diapers are being washed all at once together with others so it uses less power and less water than if you did it at home.
Here's a stat quote on that...
"Commercially laundered cotton diapers use one-half the energy of home washed and one-third the energy of disposable diapers. Home laundering uses 2.5 times as much net water per diaper change than diaper service."

And a lot of diaper services like ours I know use trucks run on natural gas which is better environmentally too.
Anyway, if you have a service in your area, I say take advantage of it esp. if you live in an apt. and would have to use a coin-op machine.
We now live in a house and have an LG steam machine but we were in your position with our son and it was not easy.
Good luck!
I am confused by the natural gas part. That's a huge contributor to a large carbon footprint. Do you mean it's "cleaner" than diesel fuel? Diesel is not the culprit as much as the old engines it's being processed through in most areas. I'd much prefer a company use biodiesel or a hybrid/diesel combination if they are interested in being earth friendly.


I see the point about washing en masse but I think it can really only counter the fact that they have to wash repeatedly and they are using industrial chemicals which leech into the earth, kwim?

Jenrett, I've never seen anything like this! How cool.
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Hey, that looks sweet. How do you think the long cycle time and steam (instead of water) will do for diapers?
I have no idea....I have never washed diapers before!

OrchideZ - good info, thanks!!

Starfish....isn't that neat? I was looking at frontloading washer/dryers, my DH said that LG was the best brand, and I stumbled across these!!! My biggest problem with laundry is that I forget to move the stuff from the washer to the dryer for a day or two and it gets all moldy smelling....this seems to mitigate that!
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenrett View Post
Starfish....isn't that neat? I was looking at frontloading washer/dryers, my DH said that LG was the best brand, and I stumbled across these!!! My biggest problem with laundry is that I forget to move the stuff from the washer to the dryer for a day or two and it gets all moldy smelling....this seems to mitigate that!
It's seriously neat for sure. I have the same issue that you do with remembering to shift the laundry

I really hope you get it as I want to know all about it! That sounds really selfish; I mean I really hope you get it b/c you want it
post #14 of 26
Starfish: Compressed natural gas is cleaner burning than both gasoline and diesel and produces 80% less ozone forming emissions than gasoline does.
Here is a link if you wanna read up on it.

Re. chemicals that leech, our diaper service only uses one (aside from the necessary bleach) that is a mold inhibitor and the amount they use is 1 ounce for every 100 pounds of laundry. We found that proportion to be a-okay with us.
As for the amount of water used, their machines use less than most home washing machines do b/c its done on a mass scale and they also use reclaimed water.
If you or any other mamas wanna know more about energy saving, diaper services and the health benefits of cotton, etc. you can email them over at dy-dee diapers.com. They are most forthcoming and eager to answer questions! I definitely always recommend using a diaper service if you are lucky enough to have one in your area esp. for the newborn phase and also if your only other option is a coin-op. Anything to avoid Pampers I say

Jen: We have the LG steam washer and dryer (separate not in one machine but same concept) and I thank my lucky stars for them every single day.
I have heard on my local mama's group neg things said re. front loaders but they are never LGs. Apparently, some other brands have a stinky, mold issue so I say, if you are gonna get a new set, go for the LG.
We wash our son's diapers on the sanitary cycle using only 1/2 scoop of Bio-Kleen powder (HE machines not only use less water but 1/2 as much detergent) and a scoop or so of Oxo-Brite and they come out immaculate looking and smelling fresh. The washer and dryer also have a nifty child lock feature. Believe me, we need this. Our son is always trying to push the buttons and lights little monkey that he is!
post #15 of 26
OrchideZ - I am glad to hear the good review about the LG! We were just looking at them yesterday....Sears has a 25% off sale through today, unfortunately, we don't have the $$ today I hope we can get one though!! Even if it's not an all in one
post #16 of 26
We used a diaper service with DD for about a year. It was GREAT! Once a week you put your load of dirty diapers outside in the evening and in the morning you discover instead of it a bag of clean diapers. They were doing the delivery at 5am.
I started washing my own diapers after DD was a year old.

We are definetely going to do the diaper service again with this babe. Whatever can make our life a little easier, I say - go for it!
post #17 of 26
We used a diaper service with dd. Loved it. We received roughly 70 cloth diapers a week for about $20. It was worth it for us because at the time we lived in an apt. and it would have cost us a fortune to take it to the laundromat. I loved it, and I'm thinking of doing it again for this baby.
post #18 of 26
Here, i can only find 1 diaper service company and they are about $24 a week, and DH said I'd have to sell all of my CD stash before we could consider this LOL.

I know the health/earth benefits of this, but it does make it the same cost as disposables at this point.

I think we'll stick with our own diapers, I do have plenty of them, and figure out which ones we like the most.
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchideZ View Post
Starfish: Compressed natural gas is cleaner burning than both gasoline and diesel and produces 80% less ozone forming emissions than gasoline does.
Here is a link if you wanna read up on it.

Re. chemicals that leech, our diaper service only uses one (aside from the necessary bleach) that is a mold inhibitor and the amount they use is 1 ounce for every 100 pounds of laundry. We found that proportion to be a-okay with us.
As for the amount of water used, their machines use less than most home washing machines do b/c its done on a mass scale and they also use reclaimed water.
If you or any other mamas wanna know more about energy saving, diaper services and the health benefits of cotton, etc. you can email them over at dy-dee diapers.com. They are most forthcoming and eager to answer questions! I definitely always recommend using a diaper service if you are lucky enough to have one in your area esp. for the newborn phase and also if your only other option is a coin-op. Anything to avoid Pampers I say

Jen: We have the LG steam washer and dryer (separate not in one machine but same concept) and I thank my lucky stars for them every single day.
I have heard on my local mama's group neg things said re. front loaders but they are never LGs. Apparently, some other brands have a stinky, mold issue so I say, if you are gonna get a new set, go for the LG.
We wash our son's diapers on the sanitary cycle using only 1/2 scoop of Bio-Kleen powder (HE machines not only use less water but 1/2 as much detergent) and a scoop or so of Oxo-Brite and they come out immaculate looking and smelling fresh. The washer and dryer also have a nifty child lock feature. Believe me, we need this. Our son is always trying to push the buttons and lights little monkey that he is!
Bleach is on my top five chemicals to avoid. Again, I think there are some diaper services that will do as much as they can to be green, but those are not as plentiful as those that don't and aren't.

I think we just don't agree on this topic, which, obviously, is just fine
post #20 of 26
We didn't have a washer for a while when dd was a baby and I had two in cloth diapers. Unfortunantly, both of them have very sensitive skin and the bleach that the diaper services use would have ripped up their poor little bums, so I ended up having to wash all the diapers in the bathtub for about 2 months until we could afford to replace our washer.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: May 2010
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › May 2010 › has anyone used a diaper service?