This is my first post and I can't believe I never looked on Mothering.com for Moms going to RN school! I've been toying with the idea for awhile. I'm already a Registered Dietitian and have a decent FT job. My daughter is almost 18 months and my husband is a SAHD. I'm very close to getting in to an Associates program. I unfortunately can't do a BSN program, b/c they are pretty much all fast-track and I still have to work full time.
So, am I crazy..
1. I will be working full-time (however, the job I have allows for some study time)
2. I will be going to school 2 nights a week after work (2 full days w/o my baby
) and may have to work on a saturday or do clinicals (another day w/o my baby)
3. We will be postponing #2 until I'm out of school (I will be 35 this year)
1. Work will pay for some of my school
2. My husband stays at home and is typically helpful
I think I will do it, b/c I have no job satisfaction. But then I think b/c I'm a RD, I could go the LC route. I have such a relaxed job, low stress, somewhat flexible hours, so why I am leaving this? My job right now, I can focus on being a mom.
Then I think I would really love working in L&D or post partum, NICU, but I really don't think I want to do anything else in nursing. The way the job market is right now, I may not be able to be picky which then I will question why the heck did I miss out on 2 amazing years of my daughters life?
I've been in classes since the spring and it has not been that bad, b/c I did study at work and then study after my daughter goes to sleep. My DH is getting the brunt of it.
Anyways, glad I found this thread!!!