If I had to do a hospital birth again, I would:
- hire a doula
- train DH in Marine Corps fashion to know what to do when (last time he was all intimidated by nurses and doctors)
- go really, really late to the hospital (hold out at home for as long as you can, try arriving at the hospital when you are pushing)
- not go in when my water breaks (I was scared of infection and went in a couple hours after it broke without contrax, dumb mistake)
- if your water breaks early or before labor begins, do not tell them when, say it just happened or they will put you on antibiotics immediately or within 18 hours after water breakage, and they will want to use Pitocin on you (depending on the HP, right away or after 24 hours)
- have your DH or trusted person watch the actual birthing process so they can yell NO EPISIOTOMY or LEAVE THAT CORD INTACT (someone needs to have his or her eyes down there, really!)
- be strong, stern, yet friendly. might not work during contractions though.
if they want to do something you don't want to, don't hesitate being bitchy.