or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › May '09 Mamas - Feeling Lucky in March!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

May '09 Mamas - Feeling Lucky in March! - Page 10

post #181 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
On the shoe topic...I wish we could find some. Everything I try his foot is too fat for. I've tried the knock off robeez at Target but they don't fit either. I guess we're sticking with socks for now lol.
Try Soft Star Shoes, you can email them exact measurements of his feet and they'll size the shoes to fit him. They're like Robeez but totally customizable. That's what I ended up doing with Liam because his feet were so wide and even XXW weren't wide enough.
post #182 of 223
Katie- That's what I thought to. I have to check the lease, but it's in our bedroom and Sophia is napping so it's a forbidden zone.

Cheryllynn- I keep telling myself not to complain so much about the place where I live, because I feel language is so powerful and the things I say make me feel worse about it, but it's like a suburban ghetto where I live. Seriously the cops have come to my neighboors about 4 times over a drunk fight, yelling curse words and insanity. I feel bad because DP and I come from very different social backgrounds. I grew up in a rich people neighborhood in downtown Santo Domingo and when I complain about the people around us I kinda feel like a snob, but it has nothing to do with money. It's about having manners and being respectful of one another. I want to meet people and dont hear in the conversation "oh yeah when I was in jail", also I dont want people who think is ok to curse 20 times in front of kids or people who light a cig right in front of their child and people who are NOT racist. Im tired of people being rude to me and looking at me weird. I mean there is a few nice people around and I know everywhere we go there will be all kinds of people, but there's so many things that bother me. One day I searched for sex offenders and I was immensely suprised with the number there are in the area, in our old apt, a child molestor lived right next door and I always got a VERY weird vibe from him if you know what I mean and whenever dss would be like hello, I'd be let's go inside. I mean I know, they're are people too and again I was never disrespectful to him, but at the same time dont want any kid to be talking to a pedophile.. right now my biggest concern is to live in a SAFE and nice enviroment. And Mt. Airy is a little more urban, which I like, I like having things to do and places to go. Actually a mom from here talked to me about that place and said she used to live there and she misses it and I've been pushing to move there for awhile.

And the swim lessons sound fun. I want Sophia and I to do something like that, she loves water so much. If I were you I'd postpone it, because I dont know Im a little paranoid.

Shoes- Sophia has long, skinny feet just like her daddy and I.
post #183 of 223
Hi mamas
I once again wasn't able to keep up with the thread (sigh) apologies because I don't know what everyone has been up to! As always I will try again for next month which is so soon anyway.
It's funny the last 2 posts were about shoes though. I just bought della some Robies soft soled shoes over the weekend. This after the woman working at striderite told me 1. Della has "really" fat little feet. All babies do thanks! And 2. that because she is cruising she can't wear soft soled shoes anymore and should be in "cruising sneakers" aka glorified sneakers with really hard soles. I rolled my eyes but she kept insisting DD should be in hard soled shoes and I should really get her out of the soft ones. This is totally contrary to everything I have read but you know the 16 year-old at striderite knows everything I was laughing by time I walked out of the store. I also bought Della the Stonz booties for next winter already because htey are so awesome!


I hope everyone is enjoying their first week of Spring.
I was in maine over the weekend JPI and it was sooo beautiful out. We spent all day outdoors. I know anyone in that area was lucky last weekend!
post #184 of 223
Pottying--we got Luke a potty about a month ago because he kept peeing on the floor while I was rinsing out his CDs. He started peeing in there right away & then, DH got him to poop in there too. Now, he's backing off from the peeing (still does it about 50% of the time), but poops in there every morning. I don't know that this will necessary help with actual PLing, but I am SOOOO grateful for every poop that goes in the potty instead of a diaper (that I then have to rinse & wash)!

Cheryllyn--we took a water aerobics class this past winter and Luke loved being in the water. I think it was pretty similar to a beginners swim class. I hope you guys enjoy!
post #185 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
Try Soft Star Shoes, you can email them exact measurements of his feet and they'll size the shoes to fit him. They're like Robeez but totally customizable. That's what I ended up doing with Liam because his feet were so wide and even XXW weren't wide enough.
I'll have to check those out. Ugh and I found out today I'm about to join your ranks. The AF has been wishy washing us about a deployment. Last we heard it was possibly June if at all. Now today DH comes in and says he's leaving in a few weeks. I can't believe how short of notice we got. I feel sick to my stomach but it's happened so fast I haven't even had enough time to process it and be sad yet. I had been so happy he was going to be home for Jonas's first birthday.
post #186 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
I'll have to check those out. Ugh and I found out today I'm about to join your ranks. The AF has been wishy washing us about a deployment. Last we heard it was possibly June if at all. Now today DH comes in and says he's leaving in a few weeks. I can't believe how short of notice we got. I feel sick to my stomach but it's happened so fast I haven't even had enough time to process it and be sad yet. I had been so happy he was going to be home for Jonas's first birthday.
mama! Sorry to hear about the short notice, I think it's a shame when it doesn't give families enough time to prepare. I went on two deployments and we always knew months in advance... we'll be here to support you in any case!
post #187 of 223
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madalyn View Post
I'll have to check those out. Ugh and I found out today I'm about to join your ranks. The AF has been wishy washing us about a deployment. Last we heard it was possibly June if at all. Now today DH comes in and says he's leaving in a few weeks. I can't believe how short of notice we got. I feel sick to my stomach but it's happened so fast I haven't even had enough time to process it and be sad yet. I had been so happy he was going to be home for Jonas's first birthday.
I'm so sorry that they just sprung it on you. Can you say where he's going and how long for? I don't know much about AF deployments but would it be possible for him to take leave around his birthday? You can PM me if you want. I can't remember if you said your family was nearby, but do you have spouse support while he's gone? I'm pretty sure you've posted in the military mama's tribe before but please do join over there as there are several of us in the midst of deployment right now, it's nice to have others to relate to. I'm here if you need to talk about anything!
post #188 of 223
Madalyn - That's too bad it couldn't wait - any chance of moving the birthday party up?
post #189 of 223
madalyn so sorry!


Haven't got to catch up on everything sincemy last post, just wanted to stop by and say Anna is taking 3-4 steps at a time now She's growing up and there's nothing I can do but watch, kind of sad to think she might be my last baby.


Highlights this week - Chopped off part of my finger, DD2 and Anna are both still trying to fight off this sickness, Found out I have a hyperthyroid and my cholesterol is high, DH has high BP and his cholesterol is high (but better than mine ), DD1&2 have been testing my patience all week and all in all it's been one of those weeks that is leaving my head spinning. What just happened??
post #190 of 223
OceansEve ouch!!! I hope it wasn't the kind that needs stitches? Maybe better if it is just a little chunk? I don't know how it would be better but maybe?
madalyn, I feel for all the military mamas here who have their S/Os have to go away for sometimes long periods of time!

I'm glad that there is a tribe for you mamas because I honestly can't even imagine what it must be like!

We are moving this weekend and I still have a ton of packing to do. Della has been so extremely clingy that it makes it really hard to get anything done and while the ring sling is great it is hard to carry her in it and pack (I haven't even tried a back carry with it yet)...
I just ordered my babyhawk though and I am literally babbling about it to DH every 10 minutes. I am so incredibly excited about it.

Now I must go pack more, every day we get closer to staying with DH's mom for a few months before the apartment in Maine is done, I feel a little bit worse about the decision to stay with her...Giving up so much independence and plus she drives me crazy...Ah MIL's I know I'm not the only one who feels that way!
post #191 of 223
OceansEve sounds like you've had a tough week!

LDavis - good luck packing and on the move! Olivia has been extra clingy lately too, not sure what's up with that She's super fussy but I think I can feel one tooth almost through and two others close behind, so that would explain that!

Anyone else have a "shoveler"? As in, she just shovels food bits into her mouth, sometimes chews them, sometimes just sucks on them and spits them out, and sometimes (this is where I feel concerned), she tries to swallow, kind of gags and then spits up a bunch! I have to put one or two pieces of food on her tray at once, let her deal with those, and then put a couple more down. Which is fine, though sometimes she stores them up in her cheeks anyway! I'm asking because I see lots of pictures on here of babies with a ton of food on their tray, and I think if I did that with Olivia, she would just shovel it all in! We do blw for the most part, she's not a fan of purees (likes yogurt though) and she loves to self-feed.
post #192 of 223
Thanks for all the support guys. *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieJD View Post
I'm so sorry that they just sprung it on you. Can you say where he's going and how long for? I don't know much about AF deployments but would it be possible for him to take leave around his birthday? You can PM me if you want. I can't remember if you said your family was nearby, but do you have spouse support while he's gone? I'm pretty sure you've posted in the military mama's tribe before but please do join over there as there are several of us in the midst of deployment right now, it's nice to have others to relate to. I'm here if you need to talk about anything!
I'll have to pop back into the military mama tribe. The deployment is 4 months so I know it's nothing compared to what other branches have to deal with so I almost feel bad for even complaining. I'm going to go on a for lack of better words 'extended vacation' back home and swap off staying with my parents and in laws. I don't have a single friend or even an acquaintance here so there's not much point in staying. I think in a way our families are excited they'll get to have Jonas for the entire summer. DH plans to be a lifer so I know this is only the beginning and at least Jonas is too young to really know right now. I just hate how they sprung it on us so fast! At least the sooner it starts the sooner it can get over with.



edit: j_p_i I do the same thing because Jonas stores it all up in his chubby cheeks too. Lol like the other night he had peas and I could only give him maybe 5 or 6 at a time.
post #193 of 223
Thread Starter 
Madalyn - It's hard no matter how long it is, don't feel guilty. So much pressure is put on us to repress the emotional difficulty of it and it isn't necessary. That's good that you'll have the support of your families, but it's also a good idea to stay in touch with military folks (even online) because we understand it better than most people and can give you pointers for getting through it. My FRG fell apart doing this deployment due to mismanagement so it's been nice to have the online support. You'll figure out a routine that works for you and I'm sure you'll be busy over the summer so that should help a lot, it will be over before you know it! As I always say, you don't get over it but you can learn to cope with it, use this as an opportunity to learn about all your wonderful strengths as a mother and wife
post #194 of 223
I'm starting Jay Gordon night weaning tonight. Figured it was better to start on the weekend so that I don't have to worry about my husband missing sleep.


I know it's early, but she'll be a year old in a few weeks and I'm getting bigger and bigger and getting her to night wean and sleep better during the night is the first step to transitioning her out of the bed so that 1) my big pregnant butt can sleep comfortably, and 2) the new baby can co-sleep.

I think we're ready. So, wish me luck.


ETA: Random pics:

At the park, with my mom:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../032610001.jpg
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../032610002.jpg

Passed out in the mei tai while I was washing dishes:
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h9.../032610005.jpg
post #195 of 223
Kelly--good luck with the nightweaning. I hope it goes well and that she adjusts easily.

Madalyn--I'm glad you'll have the support of your family, but I'm sorry you got such little notice.

Luke has a cold and now, I have it too. He's only been sick a couple of times, but I'm always amazed by how well he takes it...I'm a lot grumpier right now than he is. That's what happened last time, too.
post #196 of 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novus View Post
Luke has a cold and now, I have it too. He's only been sick a couple of times, but I'm always amazed by how well he takes it...I'm a lot grumpier right now than he is. That's what happened last time, too.
Eeek... Em's only been sick twice, and it's been a while... *knock on wood* Hope ya'll feel better.




Well, we made it through the first night pretty well actually... she only woke once and was up for 45 minutes... nursed her for a few minutes and then popped her off when she started looking drowsy, THAT was not a popular action. What ended up working was doing what I used to do when she had evening colic as a little baby, just snuggling belly-to-belly with me laying on my back, and softly going "shhhhhhhhhhh" with every exhale. That settled her down after a bit and then she just dropped back off to sleep. Yay!


Hoping it goes as well tonight.
post #197 of 223
Madalyn, Im sorry to hear about your situation. I cant imagine how it must feel! I like the idea of maybe having a early bday party, it might not be the same, but it'd be nice to celebrate, take pics, enjoy his last days before his deployment.

Kelly- I love the pictures of the park and OMG I love her outfit! SO CUTE! How is your pregnancy going BTW? Im excited for you, but at the same time I remember how TIRED I was in the early months and how crazy and active Sophia is now and well I just feel like hugging you.

Today we went to DP's Aunt bday party. She turned 50 and it was a surprise party at a restaurant. I had fun with DP, dss and Sophia. I was scared because I thought she was going to be grumpy, she fell asleep last night like at 6:30 and woke up in the early morning hours. I got her back to sleep and woke up at 7:30AM, we left around 11-12 so I thought she was going to be tired and cranky. She took a nap on the ride there, DP's sister came to get us, her baby Mckenzie is so cute. She's 14 months and just started walking recently, it's fun to see Sophia and her interact because they seem to be developmentally the same. They were playing crawling, but Kenzie was grumpy. I tried to tell my SIL because she was saying that she walks sometimes, but falls a lot and she was wearing sneakers, just like a regular kid sneaker and I told her that might not be helping, but she didnt really listened.

Sophia did great, taking her out in the Boba has been fabolous, she just is more happier. She still hates my MIL, so does Kenzie and so did dss when he was little lol, I dont know what's up, but then again my MIL is not the most pleasant person. We were all so hungry and since they were paying I felt weird about ordering stuff, she was talking to the waitress right next to me ordering a million and one appetizers and they all had meat. I was asking if she could order something without meat for DP, DD and I (she knows we dont eat meat) she completely ignored me and ordered like 15 meat appetizers and then when they all came and I asked is there anything without meat, she just said no. She didnt say no, but you can order something. Later on we all ordered food though, DD had some celery, broccoli, carrots, a french frie given my MIL some gratin potatoes and salmon(so far she's given her whipped cream, a french frie and a popsicle argh!). We were out for like 5 hours and she even napped while we were out. Im happy she was asleep when they sliced the cake or that would've been another episode. DP was very helpful with DD, without me asking him, taking her outside to play and getting her food/water. It was nice.
post #198 of 223
Oh another great one by my MIL, Mackenzie and Sophia would always cry whenever she would come near. But overall they were ok, happy and smiling and playing with people, specially Sophia. So she says "I never went anywhere with any of my kids until they were 5, it's too hard, they get all whacked out".
post #199 of 223
Kelly - good luck with the nightweaning. I'm planning on doing Jay Gordon when Darcy turns 1, so I'll be interested in hearing how things go for you. I'm not pregnant, so I really don't have any excuse, but I just can't handle the sleep deprivation for much longer. And I feel like I owe it to my nearly-3 yr old to have some energy for him during the day.
post #200 of 223
What (or who?) is Jay Gordon? Details please
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › May '09 Mamas - Feeling Lucky in March!