or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Home made Corned Beef?! March Chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Home made Corned Beef?! March Chat - Page 3

post #41 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
Okay, so I get what hash is, but what's corned beef? (I could just google it...) That's the part that sounds odd...how do you corn beef?
From Wikipedia: "Corned beef refers to a particular style of brine-cured beef. The "corn" in corned beef refers to the "corns" or grains of coarse salts used to cure it."

Yeah, there's no "corn" in corned beef, but I'm thinking one of the things is pepperCORNS so maybe that's where they get the name. I think it's more "American Irish" than Irish. Just like the Mexican food we get here is more Tex-Mex, than Mexican.

Well everybody slept last night so that's a good sign. And my eyes aren't burning today (another good sign). I'm feeling the need to clean the house. I'm wondering if I could use the "Clean House" (Style network show) motivator for my dd1, and tell her I'll get her something for her room (more bookshelves) if she gets rid of all her old stuffed animals that aren't good for her dust allergy and she never uses anyway.
post #42 of 1544
Well, it seems like a particularly bad week to get sick. I got 10 hrs of dizziness-induced sleep, and I'm still dizzy, though I'm not nauseated anymore. And I am half-responsible for planning Thursday's coop class--odd and unfortunate that they ended up back-to-back but it'll be the last thing I need to do for the session. Glad I'm working with someone now.

I don't have anything to add to the discussion from last night. I will try to find my homeopathy book and see if anything jumps out for dizziness.
post #43 of 1544
OMG! One of my closest friend's nephew had an anaphlactic reaction and is on life-support for days now at the big city hospital! The baby is 2 years old, nursing and went to the pediatrician for "sniffles" and was prescribed the antibiotic "because his ear is a bit red, could develop into an ear infection". I am beyond sick about this.

They expect him to live. They are devastated.

Pat
post #44 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
OMG! One of my closest friend's nephew had an anaphlactic reaction and is on life-support for days now at the big city hospital! The baby is 2 years old, nursing and went to the pediatrician for "sniffles" and was prescribed the antibiotic "because his ear is a bit red, could develop into an ear infection". I am beyond sick about this.

They expect him to live. They are devastated.

Pat
He had an anaphylactic reaction to the abx? Holy cow! It "could" develop into an ear infection? Wow. Just wow. Who brings their child to the doctor for sniffles? Really? That's beyond bizarre. Everyone is so far removed from taking responsiblity for their health. It truly saddens me sometimes.
post #45 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
OMG! One of my closest friend's nephew had an anaphlactic reaction and is on life-support for days now at the big city hospital! The baby is 2 years old, nursing and went to the pediatrician for "sniffles" and was prescribed the antibiotic "because his ear is a bit red, could develop into an ear infection". I am beyond sick about this.

They expect him to live. They are devastated.

Pat


Sending good thoughts to that poor baby.
post #46 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
He had an anaphylactic reaction to the abx?
That is what I was told. But, that seems a bit odd to have an ana reaction to the first exposure of an antibiotic. Maybe it wasn't the first dose? Perhaps, it was a reaction to something else? Apparently this baby has never had any health issues though. I'll encourage seeking out a food journal of other possible exposure allergens that day.

I'm just livid at prescribing antibiotics for a 'worried mom', rather than for a clinical need. Seems they are blaming the doc for the rx, but the mom reports 'he wasn't that sick'.

Pat
post #47 of 1544
Oh my. Poor baby. I hope he's alright.
post #48 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
I'm just livid at prescribing antibiotics for a 'worried mom', rather than for a clinical need. Seems they are blaming the doc for the rx, but the mom reports 'he wasn't that sick'.
If he wasn't that sick, then why did she bring him to the doctor? There's enough responsibility to go around on that one, unfortunately. And the kids bear the pain. I hope he's all right. Along with the insurance re-do, they should re-do medical school (and teach nutrition and holistic health, in the true meaning of the word), re-do pharmaceutical companies, re-do the whole health of this country, but unfortunately that'll never happen.
post #49 of 1544
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
From Wikipedia: "Corned beef refers to a particular style of brine-cured beef. The "corn" in corned beef refers to the "corns" or grains of coarse salts used to cure it."

Yeah, there's no "corn" in corned beef, but I'm thinking one of the things is pepperCORNS so maybe that's where they get the name. I think it's more "American Irish" than Irish. Just like the Mexican food we get here is more Tex-Mex, than Mexican.

Well everybody slept last night so that's a good sign. And my eyes aren't burning today (another good sign). I'm feeling the need to clean the house. I'm wondering if I could use the "Clean House" (Style network show) motivator for my dd1, and tell her I'll get her something for her room (more bookshelves) if she gets rid of all her old stuffed animals that aren't good for her dust allergy and she never uses anyway.
Technically, the corned beef served in America on St. Patrick's day is Jewish. Traditionally, it was/is boiled bacon and cabbage.
Glad everyone slept, Kathy.

Pat. He and his family will be in my thoughts.

I thought I heard the Michelle Obama has put commercials out basically telling people to be more responsible about what they eat and how much activity they get? Honestly, is there much more you CAN do without mandating that people must have X amount of exercise and eat <this> diet? And what diet would it be?
I mean, I agree re: pharmaceutical companies, and medical schools and insurance, but ultimately the responsibility comes down to what our decisions are and what we teach our children. Is it disgusting that the doctor rx'd abx for "what might become an ear infection"? Yes. Is it just as ridiculous that she hasn't been taught to question medical godliness? Yes.
I've taken my DS1 to the doctor for "sniffles" before when he was too little to tell me what was going on with him and I'd had a terrible cold which effected my asthma. I never presume to know the whole story, even hearing from both sides. People's perceptions are strange.
post #50 of 1544
I keep getting a sore throat - it's been going on for weeks. Any possible reasons why? Anything I can do to help it?

Sent out a letter to everyone I know about dd2, with pics. Going to see my mom on spring break for a week so I am hoping that maybe the pics will help her take dd2s food issues seriously. We'll see. I put it on Facebook too for the friends we go visit for dinner and stuff. I wasn't as graphic as I wanted to be about how awful it is when she gets something she shouldn't eat. I didn't want to scare them away totally. Just scare them enough to take her issues seriously.

Day 2 of this month and I am already 3 pages behind. Sigh.

Karen
post #51 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by WuWei View Post
That is what I was told. But, that seems a bit odd to have an ana reaction to the first exposure of an antibiotic. Maybe it wasn't the first dose? Perhaps, it was a reaction to something else? Apparently this baby has never had any health issues though. I'll encourage seeking out a food journal of other possible exposure allergens that day.

I'm just livid at prescribing antibiotics for a 'worried mom', rather than for a clinical need. Seems they are blaming the doc for the rx, but the mom reports 'he wasn't that sick'.

Pat
What else was in the abx?

In the world we live in, if the kid just had the sniffles, the doctor should have been able to see that. Moms will always want to be better safe than sorry, and for some, that will mean calling the doctor over every little thing. It's the doc's job to be able to sort that out, IMO.

I dh, naps and vitamin applesauce. And pouring rain.
I don't crack of dawn wake ups by dd.

Today's task is to clean the house so the housecleaner can actually clean tomorrow instead of just putting stuff away. And then *tomorrow* we'll go appliance and mattress shopping and get the fleece and staple gun from my mom's (we've been trying to do this since sunday).
post #52 of 1544
Did someone mention a moveable bump under their kids' skin? Was it on a hand? I just now saw that DD has a moveable bump on the back of her hand, it's sorta close to her wrist, but it _is_ on the back of her hand.

Thoughts? I may need to search H&H to see if I can get some ideas.

Still dizzy, I'm going to alternate bry and calc-c and see what happens. And I need to cancel my appt today, at least I've got an excuse, I don't want to drive like this.
post #53 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
In the world we live in, if the kid just had the sniffles, the doctor should have been able to see that. Moms will always want to be better safe than sorry, and for some, that will mean calling the doctor over every little thing. It's the doc's job to be able to sort that out, IMO.
I agree. Sometimes you just HAVE to trust someone and hope that their higher education actually means they are more knowledgeable than you. I mean, ultimately the responsibility for your children's health is yours, but you just can.not. know every last little thing. And some people just don't have the ability or time to do that research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
Did someone mention a moveable bump under their kids' skin? Was it on a hand? I just now saw that DD has a moveable bump on the back of her hand, it's sorta close to her wrist, but it _is_ on the back of her hand.

Thoughts? I may need to search H&H to see if I can get some ideas.

Still dizzy, I'm going to alternate bry and calc-c and see what happens. And I need to cancel my appt today, at least I've got an excuse, I don't want to drive like this.
That was me, or DD rather. Hers is on the inside of her hand though- right at the base of her pointer finger. And not moveable.

I just read your post in the homeopathy thread too about your dizziness and stuff. This is the first time you've had acupuncture in a while, right? Acupuncture does weird, weird things to me sometimes. I've swollen (like really bad- golfball size lumps) where a needle went in (but just one or two, not all of them), I've been tingly, lightheaded... last time, I got deathly ill for 2 days after I got needled. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's from the acupuncture.
post #54 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
I thought I heard the Michelle Obama has put commercials out basically telling people to be more responsible about what they eat and how much activity they get? Honestly, is there much more you CAN do without mandating that people must have X amount of exercise and eat <this> diet? And what diet would it be?
I mean, I agree re: pharmaceutical companies, and medical schools and insurance, but ultimately the responsibility comes down to what our decisions are and what we teach our children. Is it disgusting that the doctor rx'd abx for "what might become an ear infection"? Yes. Is it just as ridiculous that she hasn't been taught to question medical godliness? Yes.
I've taken my DS1 to the doctor for "sniffles" before when he was too little to tell me what was going on with him and I'd had a terrible cold which effected my asthma. I never presume to know the whole story, even hearing from both sides. People's perceptions are strange.
It really will take a cultural change for people to believe that they can affect their own health though. I truly believe it's part of our culture to believe that most aspects of health are unalterable. We do not _truly_ believe that food affects health. If we did, would we feed our children like we do? (cultural 'we' since everyone here knows food affects adults and children)

I think the twin weaknesses of our health system are that a) there aren't a lot of solutions, except pharmaceutical for illness (on the part of both doctors and parents), and b) I don't think that our medical system _wants_ to shift responsibility to the individual. The vaccination issue? The _general_ tendency of doctors to want people to do what they tell them? I've found doctors, pediatricians, in fact, who listen to me and recommend things and don't get offended when I disagree, but I don't think that's the norm.

I was a pretty normal person, before all this. I think it's causing increasing problems in the mainstream medical community that people like me are not having our health issues successfully addressed in their model of medicine, and we're going elsewhere and essentially becoming buffet consumers of healthcare advice. The fact that *I* could get to this point means it's really a growing phenomenon, my upbringing wasn't distinctly unconventional. I think it's going to be rough going for a couple decades as we deal with the bumps and thumps this process will take.
post #55 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
I agree. Sometimes you just HAVE to trust someone and hope that their higher education actually means they are more knowledgeable than you. I mean, ultimately the responsibility for your children's health is yours, but you just can.not. know every last little thing. And some people just don't have the ability or time to do that research.

It kills me, though, that parents know nothing about supporting a kid through illness. I knew nothing, I'm not blaming them, but if I, with relatively few tools (besides the Internet) can keep my sickly kid from needing to see a doctor, then it's not that hard. I really think our cultural belief that we can't affect health is the biggest obstacle here--some vitamin C, nutritious, easy-to-digest food, and maybe some zinc and vitamin D just aren't that hard.

That was me, or DD rather. Hers is on the inside of her hand though- right at the base of her pointer finger. And not moveable.

Darn. Well, not darn, but now I need to go do research.

I just read your post in the homeopathy thread too about your dizziness and stuff. This is the first time you've had acupuncture in a while, right? Acupuncture does weird, weird things to me sometimes. I've swollen (like really bad- golfball size lumps) where a needle went in (but just one or two, not all of them), I've been tingly, lightheaded... last time, I got deathly ill for 2 days after I got needled. So I wouldn't be surprised if it's from the acupuncture.
But my last visit was Friday evening, so that's sort of a delayed reaction. I don't know, I'm skipping my scheduled appt today in favor of the new lady tomorrow, so we'll see how today and tomorrow actually go.

I really need to go research Simple Machines, our coop topic. Levers, pulleys, inclined planes, all that good stuff. Ugh, not the most convenient timing all around.
post #56 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Technically, the corned beef served in America on St. Patrick's day is Jewish. Traditionally, it was/is boiled bacon and cabbage.
That struck me as odd... since St. Patrick's Day is Catholic, why would corned beef be Jewish? So I had to look it up... "The feast day of St. Patrick has been observed in Ireland on March 17 for hundreds of years. The date falls during the fasting season of Lent, but on St. Patrick's Day the prohibitions against eating meat were lifted, and the Irish would celebrate their patron saint with dancing, drinking, and feasting on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage."

So you're right it was bacon and not beef, but it was Catholic, not Jewish. Americans must have changed it to corned beef instead of Irish bacon (which is very similar to Canadian Bacon, which I know, isn't really Canadian either...)
post #57 of 1544
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
That struck me as odd... since St. Patrick's Day is Catholic, why would corned beef be Jewish? So I had to look it up... "The feast day of St. Patrick has been observed in Ireland on March 17 for hundreds of years. The date falls during the fasting season of Lent, but on St. Patrick's Day the prohibitions against eating meat were lifted, and the Irish would celebrate their patron saint with dancing, drinking, and feasting on the traditional meal of Irish bacon and cabbage."

So you're right it was bacon and not beef, but it was Catholic, not Jewish. Americans must have changed it to corned beef instead of Irish bacon (which is very similar to Canadian Bacon, which I know, isn't really Canadian either...)
It's not Catholic. Corned beef is Jewish. I'll have to look for the link again but I'm trying to get caught up on housework after lazing around yesterday.


ETA: A quick Google brought up that most wonderful paragon of authenticity, Wikipedia (). I can't find the original article I read atm, but this is from wiki:

Quote:
Corned beef was originally used as a substitute for bacon by Irish American immigrants in the late 1800s.[5] Irish immigrants living in New York City's Lower East Side sought an equivalent in taste and texture to their traditional Irish bacon, and learned about this cheaper alternative to bacon from their Jewish neighbors.
The [5] says that this information was from The History Channel.
post #58 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
It kills me, though, that parents know nothing about supporting a kid through illness. I knew nothing, I'm not blaming them, but if I, with relatively few tools (besides the Internet) can keep my sickly kid from needing to see a doctor, then it's not that hard. I really think our cultural belief that we can't affect health is the biggest obstacle here--some vitamin C, nutritious, easy-to-digest food, and maybe some zinc and vitamin D just aren't that hard.
I totally get what you're saying, but in mainstream America the question would be- why would you WANT to keep your kid from seeing the doctor? There's something wrong with your kid, the doctor can fix it. Why wouldn't you do that? Obviously we've lost touch with taking care of things ourselves in this modern, quick-fix world. It seems to be easier/better, but people just aren't looking at the long-term effects of handing over our healthcare (and food, and everything else) to someone else. I could go on and on....

And I'm also one that grew up very mainstream, run to the doctor at the first hint of illness for abx, eat whatever fast/easy food is in the grocery store, etc.... And I'm only here now because of DD's health issues. All I'm saying is that it's not so easy to change that mindset. Why not go for quicker/easier/let someone else make the decisions and take responsibility for my life- route? People need a reason to change.

Ok, off soapbox now...
post #59 of 1544
Thread Starter 
I can NOT wait for this rx of thyroid meds to be gone. Then I can get my new rx and maybe get to feeling human again.

eta: Have I mentioned how difficult it is for me to be in debates? I can far too easily see both sides of the issue. I never used to be like this... then someone said I was "rigid" and "blind to everything but my own opinion", so I taught myself to see both sides. It's REALLY annoying sometimes bc I often feel like I have no idea what to do... If I do it this way then blah blah but if I do it that way blah blah.

eta (again): I think that's actually where a lot of my anxiety comes from. I feel like I'm in a constant balancing act, trying to remain accessible (so to speak) to those who are mainstream while continuing to incorporate ideals into my life with which I agree. Sometimes, though, I think it just ends up making me appear to be hypocritical.

eta *yet again*: and how do you draw the line? Where do you stop suspending judgment and allowing people to make their own decisions? When someone is *actually* hurt? When someone *may* be hurt? Welcome to the mind of Jacqueline. Please buckle your belts, you're in for a wild ride.
post #60 of 1544
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Well everybody slept last night so that's a good sign. And my eyes aren't burning today (another good sign). I'm feeling the need to clean the house. I'm wondering if I could use the "Clean House" (Style network show) motivator for my dd1, and tell her I'll get her something for her room (more bookshelves) if she gets rid of all her old stuffed animals that aren't good for her dust allergy and she never uses anyway.

Maybe she'd like to send the animals to this charity?

http://www.projectnightnight.org/
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Home made Corned Beef?! March Chat