I do. I've known about it for about 5 years. It can be dormant for a really long time (DH and I have been together for 12 years). I have 2 of the high risk strains. 6 mos before I got pregnant with DD I had cryosurgery where they freeze off the tip of your cervix to stop the cells from growing. I still had abnormal cells at the beginning of her pregnancy. My Dr. told me not to stress it and that she has seen lots of women NOT have the cells after a vaginal delivery.
I haven't had any abnormal cells since her birth (3.5 years)! I get a pap once a year and I kind of expect that some day I will have to deal with it again, but for now it doesn't bother me.
The statistics are baffling. Having unprotected sex once and your chance is something like 20% of picking up one of the strains. Do it a few more times with different partners and your chances skyrocket to 80% (I'm not quoting a source, I just remember reading something to that effect way back when).
There are probably many women who carry the strains but don't know it.
I just make sure to get checked for abnormal cells every year and play it by ear.
- HPV is totally manageable and cervical changes happen really slowly.