or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Bone broth- leaving the stove unattended
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bone broth- leaving the stove unattended - Page 2

post #21 of 30
Depending on how your oven's set up, you could remove all the racks and put a couple bricks on the bottom, around the burners (assuming an electric oven), if the height is the main issue.

My old oven had room for one large stock pot and one small one, if I put them in just right. The weight was so much that although i didn't have to take out my bottom rack, I did put bricks underneath to support the weight of the full pots.
post #22 of 30
Thread Starter 
Quote:
I have long since stopped worrying about contamination from farm fresh foods. I am comfortable with the thought that there's likely no bad bacteria in them, and if there is, my healthy TF diet will protect me. It's worked for us for over 4 years of raw egg yolk eating, raw milk drinking and leaving food out for hours at a time.
Pinky, This really persuades me. I think this is the best solution for me. I am a bit paranoid about bacteria, especially now on the anti-candida diet but this makes so much sense. And it is really the easiest for me to implement. Just stop worrying! I need to do that for many areas of my life, LOL!
post #23 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky Tuscadero View Post
I sometimes turn mine off when I'm not home, depends on the liquid level. I don't want it to boil away my stock. Anyway, I have left it off overnight and the pot is still warm in the morning. There's no need to chill it or refrigerate it. You're going to turn it back on and simmer more anyway.
I have long since stopped worrying about contamination from farm fresh foods. I am comfortable with the thought that there's likely no bad bacteria in them, and if there is, my healthy TF diet will protect me. It's worked for us for over 4 years of raw egg yolk eating, raw milk drinking and leaving food out for hours at a time.
I do the same. Typically our stews are a 2-4 day process, and I simply shut them off and leave them on the stove if we leave briefly and overnight. We tend to go a decent 10 hour stretch of sleep at night, and in the morning the pot is still warm anyhow.

I never thought much of it. It's the way my grandmother and granny made soup for years: simmer while awake, let sit while asleep.

Plus, I have experimented.. the multiple cooling/heating process, DH and I think, really adds to the flavor.
post #24 of 30
Regarding food safety, we often (like most evenings) leave food out overnight so it can cool. We have never had food poisoning from it. Apparently sealing something up that is still hot or warm and putting it in the fridge is more dangerous than leaving it out at room temp. In any case, most times we will reheat whatever we've left out and that should kill all but the heftiest bacteria, shouldn't it?
post #25 of 30
The thing I worry about with stocks is mold. Stock is one of the most perfect mediums for growing mold. And even if you kill the mold, by reboiling, you still have the by-products that the mold releases left in there.

My DH has a serious mold allergy, so this is of particular concern to us.

My approach with the stock has been to use the crockpot, as well. I don't think I'd leave the stove on all night, but I might be comfortable with the oven.
post #26 of 30
Do you really think mold could grow overnight? I'm not doubting you - we don't have mold sensitivities. And I know that the mold spores are active before you see them, but surely it would take a couple of days for this to happen? And wouldn't it tend to ferment first (yuck in this context!)?
post #27 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvlagrl View Post
Do you really think mold could grow overnight? I'm not doubting you - we don't have mold sensitivities. And I know that the mold spores are active before you see them, but surely it would take a couple of days for this to happen? And wouldn't it tend to ferment first (yuck in this context!)?
I don't know that mold would take hold that quickly. But he has had anaphylactic reactions before, and it's just not worth it. Broth is a wonderful mold-food.
post #28 of 30
What crockpots do you all have? I used to read the threads on finding a crockpot without lead and I just gave up, but I do miss my crock pot and am a little scared after JaneS's post!
post #29 of 30
I use a thermal cooker. It's small, about 5 qt, so I have to make stock pretty regularly and never have enough to freeze, but it works great! Basically, it's a pot in a thermos. I heat the stock up to boiling, let it simmer for 30 minutes or so on the stove and put it in the thermal cooker for up to 8 hours. Then I repeat the proceedure until the stock is done cooking.
post #30 of 30
IRT the mold issue- don't we put some vinegar in there? I'd think that's be too high heat and too acidic to be both inoculated AND proliferate overnight.

I do chili just this way, cook, turn off, cook. . Never had a problem, and it has never made anyone sick either.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Traditional Foods
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Nutrition and Good Eating › Traditional Foods › Bone broth- leaving the stove unattended