or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Shaving your legs, pros and cons
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Shaving your legs, pros and cons

post #1 of 48
Thread Starter 
I haven't shaved my legs in 4 years, and for some reason I decided that I want to this year.
I'm thinking maybe I will enjoy feeling lady-like and somewhat "pampered". But then think about how white my legs will look, and they'll be prickly if I don't shave every other day.

Just would like some opinions from you ladies to help me make up my mind
post #2 of 48
How long did it take 4 years ago for the feel to go from prickly to silky when you grew it out? I would think just a few months, so if you decide to shave you can always grow it out again if you end up not liking it or not wanting to keep up with it.
post #3 of 48
I hate shaving, I hate stubble, and I hate having "spiky" legs if I don't shave every single day. So when I want to go hair-free on my legs I wax. It is soooo much more pleasant in the long run.
post #4 of 48
The cons are that it's more work than not doing it, you can get razor burn, and the upkeep is a hassle.

The pro, aside from the obvious social acceptability, bla bla bla, is that it exfoliates your legs so your skin actually looks nicer and healthier. And your legs feel wonderful to touch, at least during the pre-stubble phase ...
post #5 of 48
I shave. I used to not shave, but I work out a lot now and the feeling of breezy hair on my legs while I'm riding my bike or running, is not something I care for. I don't mind shaving, it gives me a chance to soak in the tub for a bit.
post #6 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
I hate shaving, I hate stubble, and I hate having "spiky" legs if I don't shave every single day. So when I want to go hair-free on my legs I wax. It is soooo much more pleasant in the long run.
This!!
post #7 of 48
I shave every day because I hate the feeling of stubble and I hate waxing. (I would have really hairy legs if I didn't shave, not just peach fuzz.) It takes me... what, like 30 seconds to shave? It's totally a nonhassle. I take showers or baths every day anyway, what's an extra few seconds? I don't do a careful job of shaving knees or anything, I just run the razor up and down and whatever. I don't remember the last time I cut myself, maybe 10 years ago? The only downside is buying razors (disposable ones are crap) because it's like $30 for a refill pack now, but it lasts a while anyway. I buy one maybe once every 4-6 months I guess. It is totally a nonhassle and I feel fine - not even "pampered" or special or anything, just normal.
post #8 of 48
I really enjoy the groomed feeling that I feel about myself when I shave. I've gone the non-shaving route, and it's just not for me. I always felt as if I wasn't groomed and was not presenting myself in the best way I could. Do I care about societail pressures? In some ways yes, others not so much, but I felt better about myself and how I was choosing to present myself to the world. My feeling on the matter is what has convienced me to continue to shave.
As for the expense.. Not an issue. maybe $10 a year in cost of razor blades, if that? The time, what maybe 2 minutes max if I want to do a detailed job? Not an issue for me either.

Good luck on figuring out what will make you feel best, and if you do shave this year, you can always go back and stop. Sure you'll have a month or whatever of pickles, but it's a fairly fast process to stop shaving and grow your hair.
post #9 of 48
I haven't shaved in over a year but I used to shave everything on my body below my neck so I want to throw in my opinion

Pros: other people don't look at you funny if your legs are shaven (at least not because you have hairy legs lol)

Cons: stubble (for me it's like 5:00 shadow), it itches, razor burn, nicks, expense of razors, dries my legs out, garbage produced by the razors (they have to go somewhere when you're done with them and they aren't recyclable), you don't get to experience the wind in your hair, you always have to worry about whether or not you shaved when you put on a skirt or shorts (my hair is black and my legs are WHITE so it's very visible), it takes too long and uses more water, using shaving cream puts more chemicals on your skin and down your drain, I feel it buys into a whole system of oppression of women and refusal to accept us in our natural state.
post #10 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinuviel_k View Post
I hate shaving, I hate stubble, and I hate having "spiky" legs .....

Yeah me too....I loathe having to shave....I'm just lazy I guess...but I hate looking like a gorilla even more...so....I shave.
post #11 of 48

DIY Waxing at home recipe

I've got serious hair leg. I wish I liked it and felt comfortable with it but I don't. It's fine to grow out for cold weather months, but in the warm months I wax.

I use 1 cup white sugar and 3 cups white vinegar. Heat it stirring constantly on the stove until you get a single thread when holding the spoon up from the mixture. Let it cool some (it still needs to be warm though) and apply with a wooden crafting stick going with the grain of the hair. Then use a strip of cloth, cotton, but not t-shirt type, press it to the wax and lift off against the grain of the hair. So normally, you apply it in a downward motion on your leg, and remove it starting from the lowest point and lifting up. It's a bit painful, but not bad. Actually the pain is much preferable to razor cut in the shower IMO. I usually shower after to get rid of residual stickiness and I have smooth legs for 2 weeks. If I keep at it the hair on my legs does grow in less thickly.

The cloth strips just get thrown in with a hot wash and they are re-usable. It takes some time but works better for me cuz I usually don't get to shower alone since I'm a single SAHM of a toddler. I can do this while she naps and because the hair isn't "cut" with a razor, regrowth is less stubbly or prickly feeling, if that makes sense.
post #12 of 48
I shave my legs and that's it. I do it because I prefer the feel of smooth legs. I just run an electric razor over them in them morning. The biggest con for me is itchiness once the stubble grows in.
post #13 of 48
Quote:
you don't get to experience the wind in your hair
post #14 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalia the Muse View Post
LOL! It's true! I always thought that shaved legs were great because they felt so good on silky sheets or warm jeans, but nope, wind in your hair feels soooo much better than that. Wind in your armpit hair is an even higher level of pleasure I like to stand outside in the sunshine in the summer and just feel the wind on my hair, it's awesome.

Theia, I have serious leg hair too. I live next to a college town and I think it's hilarious that I have bigger boobs than most of the girls AND hairier legs than most of the boys I'm pretty out there though, dreadlocks and all that good stuff, so comfortable with leg hair isn't much of issue for me
post #15 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theia View Post
I've got serious hair leg. I wish I liked it and felt comfortable with it but I don't. It's fine to grow out for cold weather months, but in the warm months I wax.

I use 1 cup white sugar and 3 cups white vinegar. Heat it stirring constantly on the stove until you get a single thread when holding the spoon up from the mixture. Let it cool some (it still needs to be warm though) and apply with a wooden crafting stick going with the grain of the hair. Then use a strip of cloth, cotton, but not t-shirt type, press it to the wax and lift off against the grain of the hair. So normally, you apply it in a downward motion on your leg, and remove it starting from the lowest point and lifting up. It's a bit painful, but not bad. Actually the pain is much preferable to razor cut in the shower IMO. I usually shower after to get rid of residual stickiness and I have smooth legs for 2 weeks. If I keep at it the hair on my legs does grow in less thickly.

The cloth strips just get thrown in with a hot wash and they are re-usable. It takes some time but works better for me cuz I usually don't get to shower alone since I'm a single SAHM of a toddler. I can do this while she naps and because the hair isn't "cut" with a razor, regrowth is less stubbly or prickly feeling, if that makes sense.
How long does the hair have to be for this to work?
post #16 of 48
About a 1/4 inch I think. lol I'm not good with measurements, but I usually have to let my hair grow out for a week or 10 days for it to be long enough for the wax to hold it.

You can always make your batch, do a test patch, if the hair isn't long enough then cover and set it aside for a few more days. I've never had to refrigerate it between waxing sessions. Just reheat and go. I will say it is a bit smelly, the vinegar when it is heating, but when the weather is nice you can open windows. It also helps to put a towel on the floor for your work area to sit on, you will get drips and stuff. The towel makes for easy clean up.
post #17 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristaDJ View Post
Theia, I have serious leg hair too. I live next to a college town and I think it's hilarious that I have bigger boobs than most of the girls AND hairier legs than most of the boys I'm pretty out there though, dreadlocks and all that good stuff, so comfortable with leg hair isn't much of issue for me
See, I wish I was funky like that (I mean it in a good way). But I'm not I do have some serious leg hair though. They are very manly looking ATM. I'm waiting for a bit more warm weather to start my waxing for this year. I do like not having to deal with it at all in the winter months....
post #18 of 48
I haven't shaved my legs since the Reagan administration.

Everytime I think about doing it again, I think of what a pita it was, how you have to keep up with it for them to look good, how I can't even keep my kitchen floor mopped regularly...and I quickly revert to the status quo.

If I really liked the feel of smooth legs, I might do it. But I don't, particularly. And I resent the idea that I should remove something natural to be attractive.
post #19 of 48
If I feel like shaving I do. If I don't feel like shaving I don't.
post #20 of 48
This may seem evil to you, but one time I shaved just one leg after not shaving our entire marriage (only 2 years at that point). Then, I asked my husband to feel both legs and tell me which one he thought I had shaved. He couldn't tell! I've never shaved since.

To be fair, I do have white skin and blond leg hair. I also have enough American Indian in me to make my body hair scarce. My poor sister got the german genes and she has to shave daily. Sometimes I feel guilty about my shiny legs, but then I get over it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Natural Body Care
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Natural Body Care › Shaving your legs, pros and cons