or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Activism and News › Waiting for the official word that healthcare has passed
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Waiting for the official word that healthcare has passed - Page 2

post #21 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
What I want to know is how many that voted on it ( either way ) actually read it.
That is a good question. I know many were actually stating a lot of incorrect information.


I did write to my Congressmen regarding the bill but they don't tend to vote the way I ask them to.
post #22 of 65
I am very interested in what it all will mean.
post #23 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdinaL View Post
I am very interested in what it all will mean.
Yes, after a bill is passed is when they start fine tuning it. We might not end up with precisely the same thing that passed today.
post #24 of 65
Here is what the National Partnership for Women and Families claims this means for me. This is obviously a special interest group, and I'm not calling their report unbiased (nor am I looking for an abortion debate). So, is "Employers will be required to provide a reasonable break time and place for nursing mothers to breast feed." really true?!?
post #25 of 65
I don't know much about what the bill actually says; however, one major issue I have with it (as it is being reported by the media) is that it requires people to have insurance. What if someone doesn't want insurance? They get fined for it, I think that's stoopid.

Also, I think the bill will fine employers who don't offer insurance to their employees. If they don't then they get fined. Unless the fine is larger than the amount the employer would have to pay for group insurance, then I think many employers will just opt to pay the fine.

Someone let me know if my facts are off.
post #26 of 65
I found this article interesting:

The Top 10 Immediate Benefits You'll Get When Health Care Passes

Quote:
Prohibit pre-existing condition exclusions for children in all new plans;

Provide immediate access to insurance for uninsured Americans who are uninsured because of a pre-existing condition through a temporary high-risk pool;

Prohibit dropping people from coverage when they get sick in all individual plans;

Eliminate lifetime limits and restrictive annual limits on benefits in all plans;

Require premium rebates to enrollees from insurers with high administrative expenditures and require public disclosure of the percent of premiums applied to overhead costs.
I do wonder what #3 (On the quoted portion) will mean in reality. I the concept of the last one listed.
post #27 of 65
Thanks, TiredX2.
post #28 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
I don't know much about what the bill actually says; however, one major issue I have with it (as it is being reported by the media) is that it requires people to have insurance. What if someone doesn't want insurance? They get fined for it, I think that's stoopid.

Also, I think the bill will fine employers who don't offer insurance to their employees. If they don't then they get fined. Unless the fine is larger than the amount the employer would have to pay for group insurance, then I think many employers will just opt to pay the fine.

Someone let me know if my facts are off.
I also wonder about this. I don't believe it dictates what level of coverage you have, so you could still just have catastrophic, which isn't a bad thing. I don't know the particulars though, so I don't know what exactly this will really pan out to be, you know?


Thanks, Tired, for the link.
post #29 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
I don't know much about what the bill actually says; however, one major issue I have with it (as it is being reported by the media) is that it requires people to have insurance. What if someone doesn't want insurance? They get fined for it, I think that's stoopid.
That is one of my biggest complaints too.
post #30 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
Rush Limbaugh said he would move to Costa Rica if Heath Care passed.

The real confusion? Why Costa Rica:
"Socialized" heath care
New president pushing carbon neutrality

Well maybe he wanted to go to the second worst socialized medicine in the world? Or he wanted to move to a country where they make even more absurd empty promises than in the states?

Ironically, it was probably the recent crack down on immigration policy for which they have been borrowing from US policy that made him change his mind. It's too much of a pain in the ass to bother any more.

I was under the impression that the intent of the intial bill was that it requires adults have insurance for their CHILDREN, but not themselves. IME the only time private insurance is worth a penny of its premiums is when it has to compete with a competent and high qulaity public health care system.

As far as I can tell this is hardly healthcare reform, it's just insurance reform.
post #31 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freud View Post
Also, I think the bill will fine employers who don't offer insurance to their employees. If they don't then they get fined. Unless the fine is larger than the amount the employer would have to pay for group insurance, then I think many employers will just opt to pay the fine.

Someone let me know if my facts are off.
Employers of over 50 people already have to provide group insurance, or be fined now. Under this new plan that won't change. Employers with less than 50 people still won't have to, but those that do provide insurance will get 50% of their premiums back in a tax credit. So that's a good thing!

Personally I'm so happy this passed! Especially for the reasons that TiredX2 posted. It's not perfect for sure, but it's a least a step in the right direction. I'm hoping that eventually this leads to complete, socialized health care. I'm hoping that insurance companies will have to lower their rates to compete with the federal plan. Next February DW and I won't have our employer-paid health insurance anymore and I'm SO glad that pre-existing conditions won't matter and that they can't drop us if we get cancer or some other expensive disease.
post #32 of 65
HuffingtonPost now has "Top 18 Immediate Effects":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_508315.html

There are some *really* interesting changes!
post #33 of 65
Quote:
Chain restaurants will be required to provide a "nutrient content disclosure statement" alongside their items. Expect to see calories listed both on in-store and drive-through menus of fast-food restaurants sometime soon.
Linked from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0...15.html#s75203

It's about time! I think it would make people think twice about ordering from fast food places if it told how many calories are actually in their Bic Mac. *It's actually 540 (empty) calories.

*http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutri...mDetailInfo.do
post #34 of 65
I would like to see the penalty for choosing to not be insured removed...while the reasoning that the uninsured who get sick cost more is often used, people should have choice.
post #35 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
That is one of my biggest complaints too.
Why?
post #36 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
Employers of over 50 people already have to provide group insurance, or be fined now.

.
The point is individuals will be fined for not purchasing health insurance. Personally I think calling this health care reform is inaccurate it's an insurance mandate.
post #37 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredX2 View Post
HuffingtonPost now has "Top 18 Immediate Effects":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_508315.html

There are some *really* interesting changes!
Thanks for that link! Very interesting.
post #38 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post
The point is individuals will be fined for not purchasing health insurance. Personally I think calling this health care reform is inaccurate it's an insurance mandate.
Yes, I know about individuals being fined. That's not what I was answering. I was answering the question/point about businesses being fined if they don't provide it.

I'm fine with the fine. I mean, I think the best system would be higher taxes and free healthcare for everyone. But we're not there yet. Low income people will have the fine reduced and/or removed. And the fine doesn't start to kick in until 2014, IIRC. There is time to plan for it and budget for insurance. I think people need to prioritize in order to have health insurance. I'm sure that sounds classist of me but just like if you choose to drive a car you must have auto insurance or be fined, I think health insurance has to be a part of people's budgets just after shelter and food. I think (hope) this reform (which is really health insurance reform, not healthCARE reform) will make it more affordable for people to have health insurance.
post #39 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
Yes, I know about individuals being fined. That's not what I was answering. I was answering the question/point about businesses being fined if they don't provide it.

I'm fine with the fine. I mean, I think the best system would be higher taxes and free healthcare for everyone. But we're not there yet. Low income people will have the fine reduced and/or removed. And the fine doesn't start to kick in until 2014, IIRC. There is time to plan for it and budget for insurance. I think people need to prioritize in order to have health insurance. I'm sure that sounds classist of me but just like if you choose to drive a car you must have auto insurance or be fined, I think health insurance has to be a part of people's budgets just after shelter and food. I think (hope) this reform (which is really health insurance reform, not healthCARE reform) will make it more affordable for people to have health insurance.

To the first bold part, what we are getting is higher taxes and a mandate to pay for insurance. Nothing is ever free where government is concerned.

To the second, the two are not comparable. With car insurance the states requirements are either tied to your drivers license or car registration ( depending on what state you live in) and no one forces you to own a car or get a DL license.

With health insurance, it's tied to your very existence.
post #40 of 65
Thread Starter 
Also though, ER's are forced to care for people regardless of their ability to pay. If people who are low income (who will get free or reduced insurance) had coverage they could go to the doctor before it go so ill they needed an ER. I do have coverage, I self pay for. it's about 40% of my income, but I just can't imagine being without coverage. Under this new plan I will not be charged more than 9.5% of my income for my health care. That's huge for me. huge!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Activism and News
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › Activism and News › Waiting for the official word that healthcare has passed