The on-call doctor broke mine for me after I'd been in unproductive (but genuine and painful) labor for something like 12 hours. (And had been having regular contractions every day for literally seven weeks. And so on.)
I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't been giving birth somewhere with very lenient policies re: AROM-- no antibiotics unless you get a fever, no time limits for delivery after rupture, etcetera-- but I'm really glad we DID do it because after that I dilated super duper fast. It was a WAY better decision than a chemical intervention for us!
The on-call doctor (same one who did the AROM) who caught the baby noted that I had exceptionally tough membranes. If we hadn't had AROM, who knows, maybe he'd have been in the caul.