I keep three journals: one for books, one to give to DSD when she moves out on her own, and one for myself. The one for DSD is the most like the art journal, although not quite as beautiful.
thank you for the links!
Some tricks that helped me:
* I made a commitment to write at least twice a month, and have been doing pretty well, without feeling overwhelmed (lasted for 3 years now!)
* I save and include ticket stubs from movies and events
* I get scrapbooking stickers (little ones for accents, and sometimes quotes for inspiration).
* I include wallet size photos
* I used color pencils, although not as much as I should, I guess. (Those pages from the links look beautiful!)
I rely more on words than images, but it is a lot more fun when you can dress up your page even a little bit.