The story:Hi everyone! Congrats to all who are pregnant, and BIG hugs to those with losses.
I'm hoping to remain with the latter, but today my doc said his only cryptic comment "Don't tell anyone for a month - 50% of these end up not working out."
Here is as much of the story as I can muster.
- Met: March 2007
- Vasectomy: May 2007, because we though his 3 kids were to live with us, and that would have made 3 kids under 10, and one just over. We only got my son and his daughter. His ex has been a money-grubbing pill.
- Married: April 8, 2008 (2 years ago today!)
- Vasectomy reversal: September 2008
Tried and tried and tried until we started with a ferility doc in April 2009 -- all I had done then was an HSG, and my uterus was double normal size, with a 3cm fibroid.
Depression over the drama, and busy traveling until August 2009. Stopped tracking anything, didn't return to fertility doc until August, 2009.
- Became VERY ill last Fall from Anemia. Was in bed for 2 months trying to avoid a blood transfusion. Lost 35 lbs from Summer to December (200-165). That has turned out to be a blessing, but I went through a myriad of tests so they could see if the Anemia was caused by anything other than the tumor. Upper and lower GI, EGD, Capsule Endoscopy, Heart evaluation tests/stress test... probably more, it became a blur.
- December I got an ultrasound (first since April's HSG), and the fibroid had grown to almost 6cm. I was in a lot of pain, too. My periods were killing me. So, in the doc's office, without telling me ANYTHING about the side affects, he got me to take a shot of Lupron-Depot. That threw me into menopause. Stopped my period. Mid Dec-Mid Jan was severe night sweats, weird neurological things... anyone need more info on that, let me know...
- Took 2nd shot of Lupron-Depot in mid January, vowing never again, crying in the office because I really didn't want to, looking a little nuts... but the doc wanted to shrink the tumor and then remove.
- Meanwhile, I decided I did not trust that doctor. I changed hospitals from UC Davis (teaching) to Sutter (non-teaching), and it was the BEST decision. My sister referred me to her GYN, and he is really on-it, and kind, and attentive. I'm lucky.
- In February I was sent for a 3-D ultrasound. They detected that the tumor was sub-mucosal and could not be cut out. The doc recommended either a) do nothing and continue with anemia b) endometrial ablation-I think... something that would render me unable to get pregnant or c) hysterectomy.
- I chose denial. I took a break from thinking. I got cleared from the heart doc to excercise after I got my blood count up, so I joined a gym with a trainer. Than my husband, kids and I went to Disneyland (Mar 1-5). I swore to be relaxed on that trip, and I was. When I returned, I thrwe myself into strength training and cardio...calorie counting, healthy eating. My physical state improved greatly in 2 weeks. I could control my heart rate, and I felt great. Then I had a weigh-in, and while my lean body mass was up, I only lost 3 lbs. Something was weird. I just wasn't feeling well during week 3. I thought I was down about the weigh-in.
- Last week, at the beginning of the week, I got a fever and became very congested. In my fever stupor, I became worried about my period starting again, and the blood clots that go with. I felt like I was not willing to carry on with Anemia. For a couple weeks I had been taking OPKs, and for a week was fading in and out of single and double faded lines, but for 3 days the lines were coming in freaky dark purple. I know that could be that I was ovulating, but I'd tried for so long, I just wasn't interested in dealing. I hadn't had a period in 5 months. I just wanted it over.
- I called the doctor's office last Wednesday the 31st of March to schedule my hysterectomy. I got a date for 6 weeks out. I was laying in bed after that thinking about the OPK. I flashed in my mind to two things: I vaguely remember reading that I could still get pregnant without having a period, and that OPKs can detect pregnancy. As a last shot, and I really thought this was more of a waste of money than anything, I had my husband go to the store and get a 2-fer box of preg sticks.
POAS 1 and both of those lines came right up. I was frozen in the bathroom. I said "Hey, Eric?" He looked. He said "How soon can you pee on another?" I said "Next time I have to go..." Yup, #2 positive!
(Why is it one has to make some sort of resolve that it won't happen to get a result?)
- Today was the ultrasound. I counted wrong. I think I am newly dyslexic, on top of my short-term memory loss...
I'm 6 weeks and one day, due December 1st <3
We saw the baby's hear beating, and my husband is just overjoyed. I've never seen him so bright and cheery, and he's a pretty happy guy.
So very tired now... Kerri