or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Infant Sedative used in 70s. Thorazine?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Infant Sedative used in 70s. Thorazine? - Page 2

post #21 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyam926 View Post
I have never heard of this before, it makes me sick.

I am constantly amazed at what the medical community is able to get away with.
And what drs. allow parents to talk them into. It has always amazed me to hear mothers taking their sniffling kids to drs for a shot. The common cold can't be cured by a shot. I find so strange that otherwise intelligent women insist on antibiotics for everything. Now it's even put in hand soap.
post #22 of 47
What I find amazing is that people like my g-ma were like this, but now she tells me that I drugged my babies by taking my post c/s pain meds and that I should give my DD ritalin because g-ma thinks she has ADD(she doesn't she's an active 3 year old). Oh I also drugged my son due to having to take migraine medication a few times during his pregnancy, the double standard is so awesome.

This thread makes me angry and sad.
post #23 of 47
I was given Thorazine as a toddler when I had to have CT scans. It was part of the "kiddy cocktail" they used in the mid 80s at some hospitals. I was born in 1983, so probably around 1985 when I took it. It is actually now listed as an allergy in my medical records. I get funny looks anytime I recite my allergy list at a doctors office.

Me: Reglan, Demerol, anything 'cillin', Thorazine...
Nurse: Thorazine? When were you given that & why?
Me: As a toddler before head CTs or MRIs.
Nurse: Really? WOW! They gave that to babies?
post #24 of 47
Probably Peragoric -

I was born in 1976 and it was given to my parents to help me sleep when I was teething. :

To this day they will joke about it by name and say how wonderful it was. They love to talk about how I never slept as a baby. I'm willing to bet I slept pretty darn well on the nights they gave me peragoric!!!! Ugh.
post #25 of 47
It was'nt just '' back then''. My first was born in '98, and her ped offered me paragoric because she has bad teething pain and sleep issues. Needless to say, we found another ped.
post #26 of 47
I was given Peragoric as an infant for colic.
post #27 of 47
At a playground a grandmother and myself were chatting and I mentioned how my dd never slept (later found out she had SPD). She told me to get Phenobarbatol....that is what she gave her kids and they were all great sleepers.
post #28 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatangel19 View Post
It was'nt just '' back then''. My first was born in '98, and her ped offered me paragoric because she has bad teething pain and sleep issues. Needless to say, we found another ped.
In a small dose, is it in fact a bad idea for severe pain? I mean, kids do get narcotics of one sort or another when they are in severe pain.
post #29 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
In a small dose, is it in fact a bad idea for severe pain? I mean, kids do get narcotics of one sort or another when they are in severe pain.
It is now a Schedule III controlled substance, but it is still in use are there are valid medical circumstances for its use. It is a fairly low dose narcotic and is used sometimes as a cough suppressant or for specific types of diarrhea. I think that there are a lot of less problematic drugs out there and its use is a lot less prevalent.
post #30 of 47
I haven't heard of the drug but had to post...
My g-ma, and aunts on that side, just put some brandy in a bottle. You don't need a Rx for that....
my one aunt said it would knock her kiddos out for like 17 hours!...and she's proud to tell the story!!!!
post #31 of 47
I should have read this thread, its freaking me out!

PHENOBARBITOL???? Isnt that the stuff you sprinkle on a rag and put over someones mouth to knock them out?!?!?!? Im afraid to give my kid Benedryl (milk allergy) unless he REALLY REALLY NEEDS IT.
post #32 of 47
That's cloroform! Phenobarbitol is a a sedative and antiseizure medication, but it doesn't show up in murder mysteries.
post #33 of 47
And yet, when they'd have open heart surgery, doctors used to perform it without anesthetic. Drug 'em to make 'em sleep, but not during surgery? I fear future historians will not be kind in retrospect.
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieFaye View Post
And yet, when they'd have open heart surgery, doctors used to perform it without anesthetic. Drug 'em to make 'em sleep, but not during surgery? I fear future historians will not be kind in retrospect.
Appalling, isn't it. They actually believed that babies and young children didn't feel pain. I hope history isn't kind.
post #35 of 47
Had to chime in.

My BIL was given Thorazine (sp) in 1961 to sleep. Unbelievable.
post #36 of 47

Your sister may well have been given Thalidomide...it was sold from 1957 until 1961 when it was taken off the market after being found to be a cause of birth defects in what has been called "one of the biggest medical tragedies of modern times"...it is what led to much stricter testing for medications.

post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessBB View Post

My parents were offered some kind of sleep aid when I was an infant (1978). I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether they gave it to me, which leads me to believe that they probably did. Also, they have held a grudge against me for my entire life because I was such a difficult infant and toddler (prob what we on MDC would classify as high-needs.) TO THIS DAY they bring it up all the time to the extent that it is a sticking point in their relationship with dh. It is one of the big reasons that I practice AP and gentle night time parenting. All this by way of saying, yes there was such a drug and yes, lots of parents used it.


 

post #38 of 47

hmm, weird, I typed out a reply under the paragraph I quoted above but it only posted the quote.  Trying again...

 

Originally Posted by JessBB View Post

My parents were offered some kind of sleep aid when I was an infant (1978). I've never gotten a straight answer as to whether they gave it to me, which leads me to believe that they probably did. Also, they have held a grudge against me for my entire life because I was such a difficult infant and toddler (prob what we on MDC would classify as high-needs.) TO THIS DAY they bring it up all the time to the extent that it is a sticking point in their relationship with dh. It is one of the big reasons that I practice AP and gentle night time parenting. All this by way of saying, yes there was such a drug and yes, lots of parents used it. 

 

JessBB, I wanted to offer you a virtual hug becauce I know how you feel.  My parents treat me this way too.  I was actually sick as a baby/toddler...took them till kindergarten to figure out what was wrong.  But they even act like the surgery I had to fix the problem was something I did TO them.  They love to go on and on about how difficult I was.  I don't know if they drugged me as an infant (1970) but my mom was given speed by her doctor when she was pregnant with me because she was tired and they drugged my siblings and I as children with niquil. 

post #39 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post

My aunt was given Phenobarbatol for her son when he was an infant. This was in the mid 80s.


This was a common "treatment" for colic.  Scary stuff.  I have a Mother Encyclopedia that references this.

post #40 of 47

It's insane that they gave Phenobarb for sleep.  I have quite a bit of experience with it, as my baby Gavin had severe seizures and required huge doses of it to keep some types under control.  It's a med that makes them sleepy for a day or two, then their body adjusts to the dose and they wake up on it. It seems to me it might work for a short period of time for "sleep" but the baby would get used to it. Wow, what a HORRIBLE idea.  :(

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › Infant Sedative used in 70s. Thorazine?