or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › If I were to make my own nursing pads...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

If I were to make my own nursing pads...

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
What fabric(s) should I use? I'd like to use scraps of material I already have.

should they be just a flat disk, or do I add a dart or something to make then more of a cup-like shape?


Fabrics I have on hand are:
baby flannel
bamboo velour
1/8" bamboo/organic cotton batting
suedecloth
PUL
an old VERY thick cable knit sweater
old t-shirts

TIA for any help/advice/BTDT!!

going to x-post in sewing.
post #2 of 8
I made super basic pads from an old flannel bedsheet. I cut circles using a CD as a template and then zigzag stitched 4 layers together. No darts or anything fancy.

They weren't beautiful, but they got the job done and didn't cost me a penny!
post #3 of 8
I just cut strips of flannel shee and folded them so they fit in my bra. I can't sew so that's all I could do. They served the purpose, LOL
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
Thanks ladies! I'm assuming the bra helped keep them looking a little smoother when out and about? or were these strictly home-use?

so, 4 layers sounds about average?
post #5 of 8
i made a set using this tutorial:
http://www.pamperedcheeks.com/nursing_pads_pattern.htm
i put quilting cotton in the middle and had a somewhat "shiny" backed fabric on the outside, to keep from leaking.
they worked very well, better than some i had purchased. however, it took me a long time to make them so i only made one pair. they looked pretty inconspicuous under shirts, too.
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZP View Post
Thanks ladies! I'm assuming the bra helped keep them looking a little smoother when out and about? or were these strictly home-use?

so, 4 layers sounds about average?
I'm no fashionista- I'm usually found in a polo or ribbed turtleneck (depending on the weather)- and a DD cup. I had no issue with the pads showing through or being wrinkly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
i made a set using this tutorial:
http://www.pamperedcheeks.com/nursing_pads_pattern.htm
i put quilting cotton in the middle and had a somewhat "shiny" backed fabric on the outside, to keep from leaking.
they worked very well, better than some i had purchased. however, it took me a long time to make them so i only made one pair. they looked pretty inconspicuous under shirts, too.
Those look really nice!
post #7 of 8
I was planning on trying some of these simple ones, at least for night time:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/...sing-pads.html
Maybe I will try some of those great contoured ones for day time!
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBabyMaker View Post
I was planning on trying some of these simple ones, at least for night time:
http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/...sing-pads.html
Maybe I will try some of those great contoured ones for day time!
That's the tutorial that I used! But I just used four layers of flannel and no fleece.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breastfeeding
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Breastfeeding › If I were to make my own nursing pads...