Wanna say how nice it is to hear the support for this mama.
And on the other hand, I am highly discouraged reading the JUDGEMENT calls, as this mama has clearly requested to be withheld.
I'm currently pregnant with our third child (boy). Our second came with true, really freakin' scary shoulder dyc. His colar bone was not broken, but with the strained nerves, our newborn could not move his arm for 1 week. And yes, my 'linebacker' was large at 10 lbs. 12 oz.
I realize everyone is saying size does not 'necessarily' play a role...however, SD is a doc's/midwife's worst nightmare & size is something to consider. And as a doula, watching a SD happen with a privious client was a huge reality check for me.
My 'due date' was Aprile 25th (waiting patiently!) ...and because of my past SD, a ultrasound was ordered...and yes, he's measuring big. Am I concerned? Of course, I'm a mother and I want a gentle birth for both my baby and myself.
It's been my observation that my doctor is fully supportive with my decision-making: she has offered a cesarean (which for me personally, is a thank you, but no thank you), she has offered an induction, but has said she will not induced until my bishop score goes up. But most importanly for me, my doctor wants me to have spontaneous labor, because she feels laboring & pushing out a large baby will be faster and more beneficial for both myself and baby. She feels inducing will be a harder task when a large baby is a factor. Besides, she's made it clear ACOG doesn't even make it an option. Hopefully, my "little guy" will decide to come out soon...sooner than later, please!!!
Mama, if you feel you have discussed all options, AND feel at peace, then do what you need to do, especially, if you have had prior SD and large babies. I think all the information is out there...you just need to make the right decision for YOURSELF AND YOUR BABY.
Feeling at peace and happy with your decision alone, can help aid you labor and birth. Empower yourself with knowledge and with support.