or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Florida, Georgia, Alabama › Homebirth CNM anywhere in Georgia?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Homebirth CNM anywhere in Georgia?

post #1 of 39
Thread Starter 
Does anyone know of a homebirth CNM anywhere in Georgia? I am a transplanted CNM trying to get some questions answered about homebirth practice in Georgia. Thanks!
post #2 of 39
Yes, I know of some. But as you know, it is underground.

Tracy Cuneo, CD(DONA)
www.fayettevilledoula.com
post #3 of 39
[edit] removed because I now know there are CNMs who attend homebirths here :)

Edited by thorn - 6/20/12 at 12:19pm
post #4 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
You know of a homebirth CNM? Or CPM? CNMs are not licensed to do homebirths in GA. There are many CPMs in the area though.
Yeah. I also thought the homebirths were illegal here as well.
post #5 of 39
Thread Starter 
I've met a few fabulous CPMs practicing here. Looking for a CNM practicing homebirth. Not illegal for us to do as far as I can tell by reading the practice regs, but that is kind of what I wanted to find out Thanks for the responses!
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
I've met a few fabulous CPMs practicing here. Looking for a CNM practicing homebirth. Not illegal for us to do as far as I can tell by reading the practice regs, but that is kind of what I wanted to find out Thanks for the responses!
The law requires that they be run through a certifying board run by the state, but there is no board and they don't certify anyone - therefore it's a gray area. People who are practicing are not certified by any state agency thereby practicing outside of the law and subject to the strident laws regarding doctoring without a license. So they exist under the table. Not possible to operate legally as CNM in GA billing for and receiving insurance funds if that is what you're after as you still need a HB friendly doctor to back you up and those don't really exist due to liability insurance concerns.

Liz
post #7 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshundqueen View Post
The law requires that they be run through a certifying board run by the state, but there is no board and they don't certify anyone - therefore it's a gray area. People who are practicing are not certified by any state agency thereby practicing outside of the law and subject to the strident laws regarding doctoring without a license. So they exist under the table. Not possible to operate legally as CNM in GA billing for and receiving insurance funds if that is what you're after as you still need a HB friendly doctor to back you up and those don't really exist due to liability insurance concerns.

Liz

Well, I am licensed to practice legally as a CNM in Georgia so I think maybe you are confusing the regs for CPM vs CNM? Unless I am missing something. I know I would need a collaborating physician the same as I would in hospital or birth center practice- that is similar to many states. I was just hoping to find a CNM who was already doing it to get their advice as it's something I was considering. I came from a state that was a lot more progressive so the legal red tape is a lot to navigate. I have read through the regs and it appears I could bill medicaid so usually that means I could bill insurance. Just wanted a sounding board...
post #8 of 39
[edit] removed because I now know there are CNMs who attend homebirths here :)

Edited by thorn - 6/20/12 at 12:19pm
post #9 of 39
Just yesterday I was ranting how it should not be so hard for a woman wanting a homebirth to understand the law and to find a midwife! During my first pregnancy, I spent most of it thinking homebirths were illegal in GA, even though I know women were doing it. But I thought that the midwives that could be found were only in and around Atlanta. I wrote a couple of organizations I found online, and they said no one served my area (middle GA).

Then as I neared the end of my pregnancy, my OB informs me that there are midwives serving the Mennonite community in my county. WHAT?!?! By then I felt it was too late to change providers, esp. since I still had to find the midwives. (I think my OB waited to tell me until it was too late since she knew I was so very much wanting a homebirth.)

Well, that pregnancy ended in a c/s four month ago.

So I am starting the search now for midwives again...and I am really excited that I have already found 2 that said that they would attend my future HBAC, even though I am on outer edge of the area they serve.

So that is good news. But it should not be so dang hard to find the midwives! Obviously, clearly changing the legal environment in GA is the first step.

I thank my c/s for pushing me to be more vocal about women's rights to homebirth and to birth naturally.
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
Well, I am licensed to practice legally as a CNM in Georgia so I think maybe you are confusing the regs for CPM vs CNM? Unless I am missing something. I know I would need a collaborating physician the same as I would in hospital or birth center practice- that is similar to many states. I was just hoping to find a CNM who was already doing it to get their advice as it's something I was considering. I came from a state that was a lot more progressive so the legal red tape is a lot to navigate. I have read through the regs and it appears I could bill medicaid so usually that means I could bill insurance. Just wanted a sounding board...
You must have an OB backup. OB's have been firing MW's wholesale from regular practices due to the competition. It is highly unlikely, although it may somehow be possible to find a backup. ACOG and OB's in GA are very unfriendly to HB.

Liz
post #11 of 39
You could always contact Janet at Alpharetta Women's Specialists. She is a CNM and has attended homebirths in GA. Perhaps she could offer you some guidance. There are a couple out there doing it, not many by any means, though I'm not sure how they are doing it.
post #12 of 39
Yes, I understood you correctly. CNM.... There is one that Nichole mentioned that is no longer doing homebirth and one that IS doing homebirth right now..... There are probably a few more as I am only connected with the Atlanta area.
post #13 of 39
I know of one. PM me and I may be able to put you in touch with her. I've only met her once but it was recently.
post #14 of 39
THere used to be one in the Macon area named Colleen. I'll email a friend and see if she is still practicing (this was around 2000).
post #15 of 39

Hi, my name is Carlene Allen and I am a CNM doing homebirths in the Macon area. I've been in practice for 28 years. I took a brief ( 2 yrs.) break from homebirth to work with a group of physicians and deliver in the hospital. I've returned to homebirth now with excellent support from physicians and my community. Look forward to hearing from you!

post #16 of 39

Hey, Carlene!

 

Carlene has attended two of my births and I've been very pleased with her warm services. One was a homebirth and one was in the hospital. Hopefully any future births will be attended at home as well!

post #17 of 39

Doctor Schilling in the Stockbridge/McDonough area is homebirth-friendly. He acts as backup OB for my sister, who birthed her 3 children at home with a CPM. I was told he had a CNM working in his office who attends homebirths, but that may have changed I am not sure.

 

Doctor Schilling also provided backup care for my sister's MIL for her homebirths, and supports natural birth in the hospital. It might be worth calling his office and inquiring about whether they still have a home birth midwife associated with their office!

post #18 of 39

Does anyone know of a Midwife near Columbus, GA that will do home births? I can't seem to find on my own... dizzy.gif

post #19 of 39

Regarding HB CNM's in Georgia (preferably in the South Georgia/Valdosta area), if anyone can offer contact info I would be deeply indebted.  Even if you know a hospital with a really great birth center (so far the only one I see is in Savannah, which is 3+ hours away).  

 

I'm due in February and am amazed at how difficult it is to find any active birth support in GA!

post #20 of 39

I recently moved to SE Georgia and found out I'm pregnant. I've always wanted to have a homebirth with the aid a CNM, but have been unable to find any information on this for this area. Can anyone help?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Florida, Georgia, Alabama
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Florida, Georgia, Alabama › Homebirth CNM anywhere in Georgia?