or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › Pick your top three
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pick your top three - Page 2

post #21 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
*Hi* It's Rosaleen here (I'm not stalking you, honestly) just thought I would say what our top three toys are:

-Wooden pram
-Natural doll
-wood play kitchen with pots and pans

The pram and doll are played with morning and night in our home!
Rosaleen! I owe you a return email. I keep meaning to do it, but then I start and then well the pixies in my mind take over and I forget!

My daughter does love her babies. I made her one, albeit a very crazy looking one.


Thanks everyone!
post #22 of 27
[QUOTE=Melaniee;15391052


-play kitchen (though at 4.5 I wonder how many more years you'd get out of it?)

[/QUOTE]

I though this was interesting, i might be wrong, and it depends on the child, but i would expect a five year old to be still playing with her play kitchen until she reaches 7 at least. I was even hoping 8 or 9 if there is a younger sibling around. I remember working at a school about 5 years ago and the eight year olds still liked playing mums and dads...and play pretending stuff. But children grow up so quickly now () I would love to hear when other people expect LO's to stop playing with certain items.
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
I though this was interesting, i might be wrong, and it depends on the child, but i would expect a five year old to be still playing with her play kitchen until she reaches 7 at least. I was even hoping 8 or 9 if there is a younger sibling around. I remember working at a school about 5 years ago and the eight year olds still liked playing mums and dads...and play pretending stuff. But children grow up so quickly now () I would love to hear when other people expect LO's to stop playing with certain items.
While I do expect my 5 year old to still play with it, I just don't see getting as many year's "use" as if the child was 2 or 3. And ITA, if there is a younger sibling that does change a lot. I'm sure my 8 yo plays with a lot of things he would not if he didn't have a 4 yo sibling. However, in our house, the reverse is true which is that the little one tries to 'catch up' to the bigger one as fast as she can.
post #24 of 27
Another vote here for Simplicity Parenting. In response to the original post, that was exactly what I was going to post. I'm in major overhaul mode right now, and buying more things hasn't barely crossed my mind. (my kids are 6 and 4 so we already had way too much stuff). I did think today about buying some of those wooden clips to use with playsilks but I pulled out some clothesline clips (the kind with springs in them) and will be buying more just because they are cheap and plentiful.

Happy Simplicity to you all.
post #25 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melaniee View Post
While I do expect my 5 year old to still play with it, I just don't see getting as many year's "use" as if the child was 2 or 3. And ITA, if there is a younger sibling that does change a lot. I'm sure my 8 yo plays with a lot of things he would not if he didn't have a 4 yo sibling. However, in our house, the reverse is true which is that the little one tries to 'catch up' to the bigger one as fast as she can.
When older children in the neighbourhood have come over to play, they can't stay away from our play kitchen. The ten-year-old neighbour loves that thing. Just my experience.
post #26 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaUK View Post
*Hi* It's Rosaleen here (I'm not stalking you, honestly) just thought I would say what our top three toys are:

-Wooden pram
-Natural doll
-wood play kitchen with pots and pans

The pram and doll are played with morning and night in our home!
I would pick these things exactly. Except that our "pram" is just a pushcart. It has been used as a baby stroller, shopping cart, car, lawn mower, vacuum, ...I could go on and on.
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiemonster View Post
When older children in the neighbourhood have come over to play, they can't stay away from our play kitchen. The ten-year-old neighbour loves that thing. Just my experience.
ITA. I see kids on their knees playing with bead mazes in stores. I think when it's not in their home it's always going to be of interest.

I'm not trying to say no one should buy one, BTW, I love it! I can't imagine parting with ours, ever. I like to organize it when the kids are away. Shhh...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Waldorf
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Waldorf › Pick your top three