or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alaskan Chat for MAY! ~ - Page 2

post #21 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I heard that on the radio this morning but it was kindof confusing. So the town isn't 'dry' it's just 'local wet only'?? That's kinda cool.
Yeah, KYUK has been kinda biased and vague in their coverage. Here's what has happened, as far as I know...
  1. Original vote (I've lost track of what happened when... it's all been over the course of this school year, which is how I track time ): Residents voted to move from "damp" Local Option to no Local Option, commonly known as "Wet."
  2. Residents discover that in going no-Local-Option, we'd be opening ourselves up to local liquor sales, which no one really wanted. People just didn't want their name going on a list whenever they ordered alcohol, and a few (DH and me, anyway ) wanted to be able to homebrew legally.
  3. A few local businesses (a store and some restaurants? Maybe two stores and some restaurants? Something like that) apply for liquor licenses.
  4. People freak right the *bleep* out.
  5. Advisory vote (to the Alcohol Beverage Control Board): Community says "We don't want liquor sales in Bethel."
  6. ABC Board rejects all liquor license applications, I BELIEVE citing the advisory vote.
  7. People who opposed the original ditch-the-Local-Option movement petition to hold ANOTHER vote. Now, after you vote INTO a Local Option status (damp or dry) you have to wait two years (three years? I forget) to change it, but there's no specification as to how long you have to wait after voting OUT of Local Option.
  8. People vote. We remain "No Local Option," and hopefully the ABC board will continue to respect the "please don't approve liquor sales in town" advisory vote.

So there ya go. My (fairly uneducated) take on what has gone down this school year. Clear as mud, eh?
post #22 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
DH has an interview with Chugiak tomorrow. It's only a .8 position, but it would have benefits (and the pay cut would qualify us for some aid which would help us make the bills). They emailed and asked if he'd be interested, and he said sure, so then they scheduled the interview...I'm guessing that a lot of people are not interested because it's not full time. Anyway, that's a ray of sunshine for me today. A .8 job with benefits is a long shot better than no job, or than subbing.
Thanks MamaToni for the link. DH said he's checking them all every day still, so we'll just see what turns up.

I feel like I'm carrying on my own conversation here and not really responding to anybody. Sorry, I'm reading, I just haven't had much to say about the topics...

I DO have a question for folks though!!
We want to take our family summer road trip up the center of the state this year. We'll probably leave about as soon as school gets out (last of may or first of june). We're thinking a couple of weeks, though it's flexible. We want to see Denali NP, Fairbanks, and it's my understanding that there's a visitor's center for Gates of the Arctic NP too, right? We don't want to do any heavy hiking with our littles, and we can't afford fly-overs or anything, but we'd at least like to hit the visitor's center. We were thinking it would be cool to see the midnight sun--can anyone tell me how long the 24hrs of daylight lasts there on the edge of the circle? As in, is it just on solstice? Or does it last a week either side? We have to be back here by the 21st, so we can't actually be there on solstice, although I imagine we could still be there on the 18th or 19th or so. We tend to be fast road-trippers though--we just get in the car and go and go. We tend to see things fast and then keep moving. We like to see lots of things en route and take detours too though. Our preference would be to do some kind of loop rather than go out and back on the same route.
Aside from the parks, I don't really have a good sense of what we should see/do up there--any recommendations of places to see (or places to skip)? What about places to camp/avoid? The kids will be 10, 3.5, and 8m.
tia
Woot! You'll have plenty of light, don't worry about that. It's already not totally dark all night. So come up after you do Denali.

Day 1 = MDC pot luck with all the kids.
Day 2 - 3= Drive up to the Arctic Circle, mile 115 of the Dalton passing over the Yukon at mile 56. Go on up to Coldfoot and get your certificate for crossing the Arctic Circle at mile 175. They have a great visitor's center and lots of stuff for kids to look at. Will you be camping? If so, that is a good place to do so. Unfortunatly there is only one way up and one way back. If you are in the interior for the weekend of June 11-12, you can go up to Chicken for Chickenstock (awesome music festival). That's going to be one of our main outings this summer.

Our Museum of the North has a lot of hands on stuff for kids. The Riverboat Discovery is worth the price. Chatanika is fun too. If you go to the lodge for lunch, ask them to see the Dredge video then walk across the road to see the actual dredge in the footage. It's only a short hike and the kids will probably be very interested in it.

Day = 4, stop back at park for any of us that can make it and the kids can get out and play at the park.
post #23 of 102
Yes, the Riverboat! I've only gone once but it was SO much fun and very worth the price. (It was a long time ago...I think I was pregnant w/ my 6yo then, and Susan Butcher was still the musher who walked onto the riverbank and showed off the sled dogs during the boat ride).

I love the Museum of the North, but I've found it a bit trying with little ones (under 3yo). Of course, I always tend to be the only grown-up w/ all the kids, so it's probably much more do-able with another parent along.

Since you craft a lot, Jenni, you might have fun at the Inua Wool Shop, or visiting Blueberry Babies, or at a Weaver's Yarn (my favorite place to buy needlefelting materials).

The downtown Fbks area is fun if you know where to go...I haven't been to the new visitor's center, but the river is a fun walk (or bike ride).

Georgeson Botanical Gardens should be going great by then (on UAF property, and it's a free visit, but they accept donations).

UAF Musk Ox farm!!

Chickenstock and the Summer Folk Fest are in June, as well...we always go to the Folk Fest.

Alaskaland (now called Pioneer Park).



love, p
post #24 of 102
Jenni
The hubby and I Love Love Love Talkeetna. I always tell people that is like the Homer that I remember from being a child. We have always been there after tourist season though so it may be a little crowded. Also camping at Lake Louise is nice. There are a couple camp grounds on the lake and the lake can get warm enough for the littles to wade in. Also there is a campground on the Richardson Hwy just north of Glenallen called the Sourdough Creek BLM campground that I have camped at and it is very nice. It is right on the Gulkana river and very pretty.
I have a 2009 copy of The Milepost that you can have if you would like. It will not have up to date road construction info but pretty much everything else should be correct. I don't travel anywhere without one but we are not going anywhere this year so if you would like it just let me know and we can meet someplace in Homer.

Not to much happening with me. My hubby is gone to work so I am dealing with the major thaw at our house on my own. I have been having to unplug our well pump because I am afraid that the spring box is going to over flow. Fun fun, just spring time in Alaska
post #25 of 102
So I'm to Chevak - and bringing babe. I'll need to work out details for her during the day - but I suppose she'll spend most on my back. Village council is picking a date next Thursday - but their looking at the 20th or 27th for the community meeting. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to squeeze some birding in too.
post #26 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
So I'm to Chevak - and bringing babe. I'll need to work out details for her during the day - but I suppose she'll spend most on my back. Village council is picking a date next Thursday - but their looking at the 20th or 27th for the community meeting. Maybe I'll get lucky and get to squeeze some birding in too.
I might be able to help with babysitter/daycare if needed. I work with the local Head Start. PM if you want more information.
post #27 of 102
Blizzard Babe

We do have a mileposts, but it just lists everything, it doesn't give personal opinions about what is good with kids or not I'm making notations in it.

1stimestar
Quote:
Day 1 = MDC pot luck with all the kids.
I'd be up for that. When we figure out our departure date from here I'll let you know when i think we'll be getting up there, and if you set up a potluck at a park or something we'll totally be there. I potlucks
post #28 of 102
Heard on the radio this morning that the Kuskokwim ice moved up at Napaimute. Breakup cometh to the Y-K Delta... BRING IT ON! But not too soon. DH and I picked late dates for the local Ice Classic contest.

Also, random side note: Apparently there's a woman in Bethel who used to work (or maybe still works? The info I got was fuzzy) for YKHC (local hospital) who is now studying to be a homebirth midwife. Looks like I'm giving birth in Bethel about a year too early, or homebirth would be an option. Or maybe it's one of those weird Bethel rumors.

Though, really, I'm not sure I want to give birth amid all the Labrador Retriever hair anyway .
post #29 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Heard on the radio this morning that the Kuskokwim ice moved up at Napaimute. Breakup cometh to the Y-K Delta... BRING IT ON! But not too soon. DH and I picked late dates for the local Ice Classic contest.

Also, random side note: Apparently there's a woman in Bethel who used to work (or maybe still works? The info I got was fuzzy) for YKHC (local hospital) who is now studying to be a homebirth midwife. Looks like I'm giving birth in Bethel about a year too early, or homebirth would be an option. Or maybe it's one of those weird Bethel rumors.

Though, really, I'm not sure I want to give birth amid all the Labrador Retriever hair anyway .
dp started the festivities known as 'breakup bash' when he lived in bethel. very fun. my friends will be playing music there.

do you know who at yk is studying to be a homebirth midwife?
post #30 of 102
see new siggy as of may 29th will have a 12 yr old.
which means dun... dun... dun... I get to HS 6th grade this fall! Eeeeek 6th grade math :
post #31 of 102
You'll do great, onyxravnos, and he's a lucky guy!
post #32 of 102
Hi all! I haven't posted here in ages! I need to do some catching up. Not much different with us. Still in Wasilla and still homeschooling my two boys. Enjoying the sunny weather and the green that is surrounding us more and more each day!

Happy Mother's day tomorrow! We're heading in to Anchorage to the Alaska Native Heritage Center's mother's day event. If anyone is interested, it's all day from 9am and admission is free for everyone.
post #33 of 102
oops, forgot I didn't have a siggy. here you go.
post #34 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
dp started the festivities known as 'breakup bash' when he lived in bethel. very fun. my friends will be playing music there.

do you know who at yk is studying to be a homebirth midwife?
I don't remember her name. A friend at work was just telling me about it, and said she'd set me up with a contact if I wanted.

DH brewed (legally ) a beer called "Breakup Bock." It's chilling in the fridge, waiting for its moment of glory when the river moves .
post #35 of 102
Hi! I'm Kristi. I have been on mdc in forever.. I want to get plugged in again! I've got two daughters and a third baby on the way. And I'm loving this weather! So glad to be here!
post #36 of 102
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
DH has an interview with Chugiak tomorrow. It's only a .8 position, but it would have benefits (and the pay cut would qualify us for some aid which would help us make the bills). They emailed and asked if he'd be interested, and he said sure, so then they scheduled the interview...I'm guessing that a lot of people are not interested because it's not full time. Anyway, that's a ray of sunshine for me today. A .8 job with benefits is a long shot better than no job, or than subbing.
Thanks MamaToni for the link. DH said he's checking them all every day still, so we'll just see what turns up.

I feel like I'm carrying on my own conversation here and not really responding to anybody. Sorry, I'm reading, I just haven't had much to say about the topics...

I DO have a question for folks though!!
We want to take our family summer road trip up the center of the state this year. We'll probably leave about as soon as school gets out (last of may or first of june). We're thinking a couple of weeks, though it's flexible. We want to see Denali NP, Fairbanks, and it's my understanding that there's a visitor's center for Gates of the Arctic NP too, right? We don't want to do any heavy hiking with our littles, and we can't afford fly-overs or anything, but we'd at least like to hit the visitor's center. We were thinking it would be cool to see the midnight sun--can anyone tell me how long the 24hrs of daylight lasts there on the edge of the circle? As in, is it just on solstice? Or does it last a week either side? We have to be back here by the 21st, so we can't actually be there on solstice, although I imagine we could still be there on the 18th or 19th or so. We tend to be fast road-trippers though--we just get in the car and go and go. We tend to see things fast and then keep moving. We like to see lots of things en route and take detours too though. Our preference would be to do some kind of loop rather than go out and back on the same route.
Aside from the parks, I don't really have a good sense of what we should see/do up there--any recommendations of places to see (or places to skip)? What about places to camp/avoid? The kids will be 10, 3.5, and 8m.
tia
Hit Fairbanks for the Midnight Sun Run!! Yeee Haw!
post #37 of 102
Thread Starter 
Alaska Birth Network will be hosting another Free Meeting this Friday, the 14th!
It is at the ONE FAMILY BIRTH Center
1108 E Northern Lights
@ 7pm.

Bring your kiddos! Bring your GirlFriends!
post #38 of 102
Thread Starter 
Happy Mother's Day! I'm glad to see that no one is posting! Today is much to awesome of a day to be in doors on a computer. Why am I here??? Well, just checking my emails.....
post #39 of 102
Hey guys just wanted to stop in to ask if anyone suffers from depression and if you noticed that it was worse when you moved to alaska (if you were from the lower 48 or lived there previously). Mine was worse when we lived there and I am worried about it when we come back. I KNOW for a fact I'll need light therapy. I dont want to tan, I dont tan but I need the light therapy and I didnt do that when we lived there previously. I also need to take my meds for sure and I was bad about that when we were there too. I dont seem to get as depressed here in ga though. Anyway I wanted to hear from others who have btdt and how you cope.
post #40 of 102
I dealt with depression for about a year in 2001, but it wasn't due to light I don't think... I do suffer from low levels of D vitamin, and take extra supplements for that.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii