or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alaskan Chat for MAY! ~ - Page 3

post #41 of 102
I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and find that as long as I am good about sitting in front of my light in the morning and making sure I get at least 2000 IU of Vit D3 a day I don't notice the effects as much. I would have your vit D levels checked before you leave there then again periodically once you return to Alaska and see if that may be a problem for you as well.
post #42 of 102
i don't suffer from depression, but i used to go tanning in the winter...just because it felt so nice. it makes me feel so warm (which is really great when its -30!) and well, pretty upbeat.

while tanning is not exactly ideal in some ways, i think it does help alot of people who tend to feel pretty down during the winter.
post #43 of 102
i dont tan skin/other cancers are in my family so i'm really careful about it
post #44 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by akcowgirl View Post
I have Seasonal Affective Disorder and find that as long as I am good about sitting in front of my light in the morning and making sure I get at least 2000 IU of Vit D3 a day I don't notice the effects as much. I would have your vit D levels checked before you leave there then again periodically once you return to Alaska and see if that may be a problem for you as well.
I think I had that on top of depression and it wasnt treated at all so it made life really hard for me. I know better now though at least, thanks for the good advice and sharing your experience.
post #45 of 102
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any experience with Academy Charter school here in Palmer? DD1 is starting kindy this year and on a whim I put her in for the lotto at Academy...and she got in. My first choice is Twindly Bridge because we want to unschool but can't this year, since I'm in nursing school and gone way too much with work and school, and we're worried about the legality of having her in day care instead of school. Anyway, Twindly is 20+ minutes away, each way, and I'm not sure at this point who could do the pickup/dropoff. Academy is 5 minutes away, and literally right around the corner from the sitter's house, so she could walk DD to her house after school. But, it's....school...
post #46 of 102
At a family bbq, one of my bil's acted shocked that I would be traveling alone (exceting baby) to Chevak. BIL: "Have you ever been to Yupik Alaska?" (Me: No). BIL: "Aren't they sending you with somebody who's been there before?" Me: "No, I'm a big girl & I know how to do my job and i'm not exactly in experienced in working with folks of different cultures."

Am I missing something huge here? I am familiar w/ physical realities of village life (running water/plumbing issues, limited housing etc). I'm referring to cultural issues. I was pretty ticked at him - but there were other things going on that night.

On a somewhat related vent: I was in Delta Junction & Glennallen last week of April. Delta went really well. Glennallen - so so. But I had encounters w/ 2 people that.... Let's just say, I don't think I have ever been treated so rudely in my professional life. To get treated this way 2 days in a row was just astounding. i had some really good encounters - but it is sad how much bad behavior can over-shadow good, normal, happy people. Unfortunately, after the 2nd one I told DH - "Just drive, I want to leave this place." I don't think i've ever felt that way about a place. I feel sad that my impression of a town is now unfairly jaded - but it is how I feel, fair or not.
post #47 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
At a family bbq, one of my bil's acted shocked that I would be traveling alone (exceting baby) to Chevak. BIL: "Have you ever been to Yupik Alaska?" (Me: No). BIL: "Aren't they sending you with somebody who's been there before?" Me: "No, I'm a big girl & I know how to do my job and i'm not exactly in experienced in working with folks of different cultures."

Am I missing something huge here? I am familiar w/ physical realities of village life (running water/plumbing issues, limited housing etc). I'm referring to cultural issues. I was pretty ticked at him - but there were other things going on that night.
Nah, you'll be fine. Just make a friend and ask for help if you need it. People might assume you know what you're doing, so say, "This is my first time in a village out this way!" and they'll understand.

When are you going? Are you flying through Bethel? I can give you my contact info in case you get weathered in here .
post #48 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
Hi everyone!

Does anyone have any experience with Academy Charter school here in Palmer? DD1 is starting kindy this year and on a whim I put her in for the lotto at Academy...and she got in. My first choice is Twindly Bridge because we want to unschool but can't this year, since I'm in nursing school and gone way too much with work and school, and we're worried about the legality of having her in day care instead of school. Anyway, Twindly is 20+ minutes away, each way, and I'm not sure at this point who could do the pickup/dropoff. Academy is 5 minutes away, and literally right around the corner from the sitter's house, so she could walk DD to her house after school. But, it's....school...
No experience with Academy, but you don't have to worry about legality if you want to wait to start her. Link to statute. HTH.
post #49 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to stop in to ask if anyone suffers from depression and if you noticed that it was worse when you moved to alaska (if you were from the lower 48 or lived there previously). Mine was worse when we lived there and I am worried about it when we come back. I KNOW for a fact I'll need light therapy. I dont want to tan, I dont tan but I need the light therapy and I didnt do that when we lived there previously. I also need to take my meds for sure and I was bad about that when we were there too. I dont seem to get as depressed here in ga though. Anyway I wanted to hear from others who have btdt and how you cope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
i dont tan skin/other cancers are in my family so i'm really careful about it

I don't do tanning for the same reason (skin cancer in the family). I thought I had SAD in WA and UT, but then sometimes I'd get it in summer too, it just seemed worst in winter. I was really worried about that in moving to Alaska, but the first winter was fine. The second winter really got me though and I started putting some things together, and realized that for me it was not the light/dark so much as hormones. (Thus being down in summer--I was pg, and being ok that first winter--I was heavily nursing still, but not ok the second winter--AF was back). Anyway, I'm actually seeing somebody this week to look into what is up with my hormones, because they are definitely totally screwy and it affects more than the depression.
SO, that's kinda off track, but I didn't notice that the relative light/dark of here verses WA or UT really made a difference, but I don't think that the light/dark is the main source of my depression either.
post #50 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
When are you going? Are you flying through Bethel? I can give you my contact info in case you get weathered in here .
Thanks. I'll let you know - I should find out Friday. I will be flying through Bethel.
post #51 of 102
Thread Starter 
I think it will be fun! Have a good time Liza.
post #52 of 102
Thread Starter 
Don't forget the Alaska Birth Network meeting is FRIDAY!!!

7pm at the one family birthing center.

Kids are welcome! Bring your friends
post #53 of 102
Attn Fairbanks Mamas! Clucking Blossom is this weekend, May 15!

Ok, that's the end of my PSA. Doing good here, DP is putting a road in on our property cause we're building a new house this summer (but I'd rather have a new baby...lol). Going to the states in 3 weeks to visit family and hit up my bff's wedding. Should be lots of fun and giggles and all that, but now I'm strangely sad about it...I'm going to miss summer! Summer in Vermont is *not* summer in Alaska!

time to figure out dinner now. ta ta, ladies!

liza-s, have a great time in the village
post #54 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Thanks. I'll let you know - I should find out Friday. I will be flying through Bethel.
Liza
I emailed you. Chevak is great. The people there are very welcoming. I would not worry.
Sue
post #55 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
No experience with Academy, but you don't have to worry about legality if you want to wait to start her. Link to statute. HTH.
Thank you for this!
post #56 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
Liza
I emailed you. Chevak is great. The people there are very welcoming. I would not worry.
Sue
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to it. I only wish I didn't have to leave DS here. I know he'll be fine - sad & confused, but okay.
post #57 of 102
Thread Starter 
speaking of travel....
I might be going to Unalaska on the 24th for a few days! I'll let you know.
I'm thrilled.
post #58 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
Liza
I emailed you. Chevak is great. The people there are very welcoming. I would not worry.
Sue
I have a friend from Chevak, she's super nice.
post #59 of 102
Hi everyone,
My name is Rebecca and I just moved to Anchorage about 3 months ago from Vegas. Total weather shock lol. I hope I can adjust. I have 2 DDs, 4yr and 20m. I am prego with another girl, edd 8/13. Planning another home waterbirth. So alot has changed and I am feeling isolated since I have no family here or friends. Don't have the energy most days to get out of the house. Whats funny is I am planning on homeschooling my oldest and totally stressed about that. I have been trying to get my youngest CDing but just don't have the money. Also would like to CD my newborn when she comes.

Well just wanted to say hi lol.
post #60 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarmomof3 View Post
Hi everyone,
My name is Rebecca and I just moved to Anchorage about 3 months ago from Vegas. Total weather shock lol. I hope I can adjust. I have 2 DDs, 4yr and 20m. I am prego with another girl, edd 8/13. Planning another home waterbirth. So alot has changed and I am feeling isolated since I have no family here or friends. Don't have the energy most days to get out of the house. Whats funny is I am planning on homeschooling my oldest and totally stressed about that. I have been trying to get my youngest CDing but just don't have the money. Also would like to CD my newborn when she comes.

Well just wanted to say hi lol.
Have you chosen to go with a homeschooling program? We have quite a few here, and several mamas on this board use different ones, so you can get some input if you haven't decided yet.

I cd'd my older kiddos and will cd my newbie due in June. Have you checked out craigslist or www.sweetcamobaby.com? Both have used cds quite often.. I have picked up some on freecycle too.. (sweetcamo is on Arctic between Benson and Northern Lights and she has WAY more used cds in her store than on her website).. Birchtreebaby has cds too.. I went to the baby fair a couple of weeks ago, and there are like three or four cd services up and running now if you want to go that route.

Welcome Rebecca!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii