or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › My junk food issues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My junk food issues - Page 2

post #21 of 91
We did Montessori and Waldorf preschool when my oldest was little....one had a no sugar policy and the other was all homemade stuff. I remember checking out another preschool that had an only packaged food policy......no thanks. After that, we homeschooled, and have been ever since. I agree what the PP said, we are now in circles where healthy eating is the norm. Many people that are in are homeschool circles are also in our various food co-ops and CSA's...even those become social outlets for the kids.

That said, when we are out and about I don't restrict junk too much, we do the free cookie at the store, fast food when travelling, eat less-than-stellar at friend's houses that don't eat the way we do, that type of thing. It used to drive me nuts that in soccer the games had to capped off w/junk food. I would just let the kids have it but would always bring something healthier that was somewhat mainstream when it was my turn to bring snacks. I remember bringing a bowl of orange slices that the whole team devoured. I always hoped the rest of the parents would notice and start bringing fruit, never happened.

Now my kids are older and have a really good idea of what is and isn't junk. The 3 oldest definitely try to choose healthy for the most part (they are 18,14 and 10) and have told me they feel the difference when they eat crappy stuff. The youngest, well she has a sweet tooth. We're working on that!
post #22 of 91
OH gosh, I feel the same way and my little guy is only 3 so he's not even in that many activities yet.

It doesn't help that hubby is not totally on board with healthy eating. It makes me feel all alone AND like a total nut job for being this crazy about it.

I especially feel bad about telling our neighbor kids no when they bring stuff out for my DS. They always ask a million questions, and while I like that I have an opportunity to educate them, I don't want them to feel bad (or make their mom feel bad when they tell her!) that they subsist on Pringles and Chips Ahoy!
post #23 of 91
And I agree.... I don't remember having snacks with our activities when we were little. If we went to girl scouts, it was after dinner. It was always assumed that everyone should be full. Sports, you would always just be headed home for lunch afterward. They would hav a jug of water.... that's it.

Me neighbor kids don't even know what broccoli looks like.
post #24 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I hate to be the ranting "Back in my day" lady but - when I was a kid, we just didn't have all these snacks. We went to ball practice or played a game and then we were handed off to our parents. There were no snacks. There were no snacks for things that only took an hour or two. I don't even get the point of that. Kids are getting heavier and heavier so we've tacked a snack onto everything? And not some kind of filling snack, but just junk? You don't give a hungry kid a fruit roll up!
I totally agree! I did soccer as a kid, and our parents brought water bottles and that was the only "snack" we had. Then we'd go home and have lunch.

I feel like so much of this is just because there's been such a backlash to the 70s style "neglectful" parenting (I say that semi-sarcastically, but almost everyone I know had plenty of childhood experiences that no way would pass muster as being either safe or sane in most any household today) that parents today want to be "involved." And bringing snacks seems like an easy way to be involved. It's totally ridiculous.

I have nothing against a snack at preschool, because that's largely a socialization thing. The kids learn to sit still and eat in a group, not snatch their neighbor's snack, they usually help pass things out and clean up, they make conversation. There's probably at least one kid somewhere in the class who has never eaten a meal sitting at a table instead of in front of the TV. But the amount of food in question is usually so small that there's absolutely no excuse in not having it be something healthy!
post #25 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
We go to church... juice (Capri Sun) and doughnuts - then candy or chocolates as a reward for good behavior. We go to playgroup at the family resource center.... juice (Capri Sun) and doughnuts. We go to gymnastics - juice boxes at the end. These are all places where I have not control over what is served unless I take a turn serving. But I've basically been asked not to because I provide water and trail mix, dried fruit, homemade fruit roll ups or the like. A lot of these places are adopting policies where only packaged food can be served. That makes it even harder!

We go to basketball - all the concession choices are junk (at least here I feel I can say no).

We stop at grandma's house... junk. We go to Mimi's house (other grandma) MORE junk. HUGE hurt feelings if I don't go along. I've had outright ARGUMENTS with family over the JUNK! It makes no difference. Then my kids view me as the huge bad guy because I said no to the treat grandma wanted to give them.

We go to a birthday party... junk junk junk.

I go to a meeting where childcare is provided.... JUNK!

This leads to 7 days a week of JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK! I'd say one snack a day is JUNK!

People get REALLY offended when you say no to what they serve.

What's worse it makes me MORE hyper vigilant at home! We can't enjoy a reasonable treat from time to time in our own house because every time we set foot out the door it is JUNK!
This is how I feel. I feel that if we leave the house it's a battle to keep the junk away and frankly, DS is 3 and his body is growing and he does not need junk in his little system at all.

DS takes an art class...great class, but at the end is snack time. WTF? WHY does there have to be a snack? And why can't it be reasonably healthy instead of oreos? We've had to start leaving early just to avoid the stupid snack. Sometimes in order to avoid the hassle I have to stoop to lying about food allergies which I hate to do.

Heck, sometimes I insist on throwing massive parties for our huge family that I have neither the energy or time for just because I can avoid the junk that way. I bake my own cakes, cookies, bread, and make my own ice cream. I feel at least DS knows what a cookie is, but I can control the ingredients.

And to be perfectly honest DS is attending a Waldorf school in September just because it's the only school around that will make an organic snack...like soup or fresh bread. So I'll be driving 45 minutes for PRESCHOOL because I feel that strongly about the junk that is in most foods these days and the horrible addictive and social influences it has on our kids.

Maybe I need to lighten up but think about it, food is just not food anymore. There is so much junk added to practically everything that "just a little bit" "now and then" adds up so quickly that it's a lot and daily.

And yes as a parent I have nightmares about how to help DS fit in down the line when he's older but still keep his diet as clean as possible and how to teach him about food and what's in it(he knows quite a lot already because we talk about it and we grow lots of things and visit lots of farms) so that when he's older he'll make smart choices.

Sorry, rambling here but I feel so overwhelmed sometimes by the "food" that is available today.
post #26 of 91
I'm the annoying mom who talks to the school about the snacks and gives ideas of snacks they could use that aren't so junky. We are vegetarians so I have to do this anyway because I don't want them handing out rice krispy treats to my kids or gummy worms with gelatin. Sometimes I supply the snacks like Late July cheese crackers or pretzels or jolly beans.
post #27 of 91
I know the family fight well. My mother insists on giving DD not just junk but the worst possible junk. Things that we don't allow DD AT ALL. If I say no she sneaks it behind my back and tells DD that I said no but grandma will give it to you anyway. (My mother is no longer in our lives due to this and MANY other reasons).

We also try to compromise by allowing DD some sweets but ones that we feel are better. DH has diabetes so I have learned to make less sugary snacks that still taste good.
post #28 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnMomma View Post
DS takes an art class...great class, but at the end is snack time. WTF? WHY does there have to be a snack? And why can't it be reasonably healthy instead of oreos? We've had to start leaving early just to avoid the stupid snack. Sometimes in order to avoid the hassle I have to stoop to lying about food allergies which I hate to do.
Maybe my priorities are really off, but this annoys me if only because I'm paying for an ART class! If I'm paying for an hour of art, I want an hour of art, darn it. If I want to pay for my kids to eat, I'll take them to a restaurant after the art class, thank you. I would be really annoyed if only for that reason...
post #29 of 91
This has been a scary thread. I do remember the junk being awfully prevalent in ds1's elementary school. But, there have been policy changes since then. (Some of them actually don't thrill me that much, even though I agree with the reasoning behind them.) I always sent ds1 with a sandwich and a piece of fruit or chopped veggies, and he was free to drink as much water as he liked at school...both because I felt it was the best thing to drink, and because I was pretty broke. But, many of his classmates had lunches packed with candies and stuff. It kind of blew my mind, as I only ever remember kids having candy at school during the week right after Halloween or Easter...a single piece of Halloween candy or a small chocolate egg. A lot of ds1's classmates used to buy pop in the vending machines at school all the time, too. Those machines are gone. There's been progress...but there are still vending machines serving "Milk 2 Go"...which comes as plain milk, but also in chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, orange and banana. *sigh*

The snacks at activities described in this thread blow my mind, though. My kids never did soccer, but my oldest nephew did. The snack (during the break at the middle) was always orange wedges. DS2's preschool has a "healthy snacks" rule, as did ds1's kindergarten. (DS2 usually gets a couple small slices of cheese, plus some fruit or veggie. DS1 used to take chopped veggies most of the time...he loved green peppers and broccoli back then.) The kindergarten class talked about the snacks and why each one was good for you and things like that. I can't even begin to imagine ds2's preschool teacher/director handing out fruit roll-ups!

I like candy as much as anyone else - more than most, if we're going to be honest - but I don't understand this push to give kids candy and sweets all the time. It's so messed up.
post #30 of 91
Some people have tried to tell me that fruit snacks/fruit roll ups are healthy because they are made from fruit. WHAT?
post #31 of 91
This thread is scary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbymom05 View Post

ETA so what would you do re: the preschool? Tell them they can't serve him the garbage everyone else eats? It's over this month, so no point in pulling him out. Always bring a snack to tee ball? Maybe I will do that--I can't believe anyone would buy, let alone eat that Froot Foot. And they wanted to give some to my 2 y/o!!!
And everytime I see "froot foot" in print it makes me giggle, it's so ridiculous.
post #32 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine822 View Post
Some people have tried to tell me that fruit snacks/fruit roll ups are healthy because they are made from fruit. WHAT?
I know several people who think that way. IMO, they're candy, pure and simple.
post #33 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I know several people who think that way. IMO, they're candy, pure and simple.
MY fruit roll ups are healthy! I puree fresh fruit in my food processor and dry it in my food dehydrator. No sugar or anything added. But because it doesn't come from a package people think it is weird. It is DELICIOUS! And with this packaged only food policy I keep hitting every where because so many children have allergies these days... UGH!
post #34 of 91
Dried fruit snacks aren't quite the same as fruit rollups, though. You can even buy reasonably healthy dried fruit snacks (not as good as homemade, though). I give those to my kids sometimes. Fruit rollups are a whole other...thing...
post #35 of 91
So WHAT do we do about this?

My church doesn't have a packaged food only policy. I think I'm going to just start bringing a bag of grapes or the like every week. I think they'll use it and even be grateful. I'll grab a gallon of water too. That will help there. I think part of the issue is the woman who teaches that has two children who she says will absolutely not eat fruits and vegetables no matter what she does. She can't believe my kids do. She must not think ANY kids do. So she doesn't serve it.
post #36 of 91
Quote:
I hate to be the ranting "Back in my day" lady but - when I was a kid, we just didn't have all these snacks. We went to ball practice or played a game and then we were handed off to our parents. There were no snacks. There were no snacks for things that only took an hour or two. I don't even get the point of that. Kids are getting heavier and heavier so we've tacked a snack onto everything? And not some kind of filling snack, but just junk? You don't give a hungry kid a fruit roll up!
I agree. I don't remember snacking quite as much as children do now (even my own )
BUT, Has anyone tried to point out to their child's teachers that they could perhaps serve better things? I have been happy with my DD's preschool - the snacks are *mostly* fresh fruits, water to drink. But I would have no problem making an objection to things like Cheese Doodles, Chips, etc.
I've always been an "everything in moderation" kind of gal, but like the OP I'm beginning to realize that even moderation adds up.
post #37 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Dried fruit snacks aren't quite the same as fruit rollups, though. You can even buy reasonably healthy dried fruit snacks (not as good as homemade, though). I give those to my kids sometimes. Fruit rollups are a whole other...thing...
No, homemade fruit leather looks pretty much like fruit rollups. Before dehydrated, it's a thick liquid, then when it's dehydrated, it's in a sticky sheet like a fruit roll up. Nutritionally it's like dried fruit, though.

Dd used to like it, but has kind of outgrown (?) it. Anyway, she doesn't ask me to make it anymore, thank goodness... took forever!
post #38 of 91
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaCrystal View Post
So WHAT do we do about this?

My church doesn't have a packaged food only policy. I think I'm going to just start bringing a bag of grapes or the like every week. I think they'll use it and even be grateful. I'll grab a gallon of water too. That will help there. I think part of the issue is the woman who teaches that has two children who she says will absolutely not eat fruits and vegetables no matter what she does. She can't believe my kids do. She must not think ANY kids do. So she doesn't serve it.
I am loving these responses! But of course it is depressing, too, lol. LIke this--we have been lax about attending church and haven't put DS in Sunday school yet--are you telling me that I have to worry about that too?!? And your church lady's attitude--that is it in a nutshell. People buy the junk "because that's what kids like." I don't know how to combat that w/o offending someone. Either you're saying they're a lazy parent (not able to say no) or ignorant (not understanding basic nutrition) or both.

I also never had snacks as a part of school or church activities, and certainly not sports activities. And in my tee ball example, it's a 50 minute game in the afternoon. 50 minutes!!! These kids can't go an hour w/o mainlining sugar? I bought some fruit leather--actual fruit--today and I'm going to trade the cr*p he gets this weekend for it. I'm not going to fight the fight w/ the other parents. If they don't care or know any better (more likely), so be it.

I'm already dreading kindy next year. I taught high school and the soda machines were a big, big fund raiser--that can't possibly be the case in elementary school. Can it??? And that milk thing--I consider ultra pasteurized milk to be a small step above a Sprite. Oh, that's another rant--Froot is good because it's from fruit, and Sprite is ok for a toddler b/c it doesn't have caffeine. I've had these arguments w/ people! Insane!!!

It's no wonder kids are fat. And today's health headline is about the increase in stomach cancers among 20-45--I'm guessing nitrate related. Bring on the hot lunch hot dog!
post #39 of 91
I don't remember having snacks at school but my mom says I did. I do remember having them at girl scouts after school and dh always had orange slices and water after soccer games.

With our kids, we kind of just let it be and roll our eyes at eachother. Dd knows what is healthy snacks and what isn't. There are 11 kids in her class and we all bring snack once a month. The other days the kids get crackers and water. It seems a lot of the families bring in cookies even when it's not their birthdays (I don't care about birthday celebrations, bring whatever you want!) But when I ask what dd wants to bring (her snack day is this Monday) she says "apples and cheese, or banana, apples and cheese, or bagels with cream cheese." So obviously it's no totally corupting her. As for lunch, she's allowed to buy twice a month, every other day she takes her lunch. Most of this is for cost reason, but has the added bonus of being healthier.

That said, many MDC'ers would consider my diet mainstream unhealthy (but "mainstreamers" would call it healthy.)
post #40 of 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&mmommy View Post
BUT, Has anyone tried to point out to their child's teachers that they could perhaps serve better things? I have been happy with my DD's preschool - the snacks are *mostly* fresh fruits, water to drink. But I would have no problem making an objection to things like Cheese Doodles, Chips, etc.
I've always been an "everything in moderation" kind of gal, but like the OP I'm beginning to realize that even moderation adds up.
My dd's K class asked for $20 from each student for the school year and then the teacher would purchase the snacks to get away from the junkie type of snacks that often are donated. I thought it was a great idea.

I quiz my dd each day on what she had for snack. They get graham crackers, cereal (Trix, Lucky Charms, Frosted Cheerios), pretzels, a wide variety of crackers, popcorn, tortilla chips, cookies (presumably packaged store bought,) and then they get candy & other treats for holidays and special events as well as birthday treats brought in by the parents which is about 2 or 3 times a month. On the surface, this is probably much better than what it could be, but I dislike a lot of the food dyes, preservatives and sugar content in a lot of those snacks. Not once has fresh fruit or veggies been offered. I think my idea of a healthy is much different than the teacher's. The nice bus driver also hands out suckers on a regular basis.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Parenting
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Parenting › My junk food issues