Originally Posted by Jaxinator
I've been the opposite. I started using natural body and cleaning products because I found out that the chemicals were making me sick. It was really bad, everytime I cleaned the house my husband would come home to find me on the couch with a migraine. Now that I've been using vinegar and baking soda and Dr Bronners, I have a higher tolerance for artificial frangrances. Going down the laundry aisle doesn't make me queasy, or give me a migraine.
I still can't stay in a room with a candle burning for long periods of time, but it's gotton so much more tolerable when I'm out and about, I don't have to worry as much.
This has been my experience. Although I may have become healthier in other ways, and perhaps that has helped my ability to deal with fragrances.
Originally Posted by painefaria
It kills me that my MIL uses those automatic spray airfresheners DP and I walk around the house and turn them off
I don't know how long it takes her to figure out that we turned them off. When I use towels other places (IL's, hotels, etc I can really tell the difference
Whenever we visit SIL, I go around putting air fresheners into deep parts of the closet, turning off the plug-in ones, even tossing some in the garbage. (She has SO many she would never notice, I've come to discover over the years. We visit 1-2 times a year, and the same one that I tucked into a closet would be there the next time I visited.) I'll take them out of the guest room we're in and put them into the adult son's bedroom.
And I don't use laundry detergent when I do laundry (for myself) at relatives' houses. I figure there is enough left-over in the tub for my single load, considering how much they all use.