My family currently lives in Michigan, so this would be a BIG change for us.
On top of that, I am currently 35 weeks preggo and the last thing on my mind right now is move across country and starting a fulltime position. BUT...The company did not seem concerned about waiting till September for me to start - to give me time to move and get my ducks in a row after DS2 arrives in June. They are offering to pay moving expenses and verbally offered me $60K or more.
Before I make such a huge commitment and move, however, I want to learn more about the area and whether this would be a good place for my family. I have a lot of questions, and if you have any answers for me please share them!
1) I would likely be the sole provider for a while, until DH can get a job. Is $60K a decent living wage for Richmond?
2) What is the housing market like? What would we expect to buy a house for? (We currently have $20K saved for a house, but we may have to spend some of that on getting our current house in the market to sell here in Michigan.)
3) What are the schools like IN Richmond and the surrounding burbs/counties? We prefer urban living (over the burbs) - so I really want to hear the scoop on Richmond schools. Or will we have to live outside the city to find decent schools. Also, DS1 has SPD and will likely require therapy. Is there support in the schools for this sort of thing?
4) How crunchy is Richmond? While I find many like-minded families here?
5) I am concerned about racism - not being from the south - how prevalent is it here? We currently live in a very ethnically, racially, and culturally diverse neighborhood in a city with pretty good diversity. I really don't want my boys growing up around racist people.
6) Tell me about your favorite things to do in the Richmond area and what you like about the city/region.
7) What DON'T you like about the Richmond area?
8) What is the cost of living like? What do you pay for utilities, food, gas, etc...?
That's all I can think of for now - my head is still reeling from the past two days and I am super tired after a late night flight. I might have more to add later...
TIA for your help!