or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › What temp for central A/C?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What temp for central A/C? - Page 3

post #41 of 53
We keep ours at 78 when we are home. 80 when we are not. With ceiling fans going it isn't too bad. I had a coworker who set hers in the mid 80s because she couldn't afford to cool it down more....Her bill was double mine. Turns out the unit was old and failing. Her slumlord never got it worked on... She complained, but couldn't do anything. She still lives there and is already dealing with it.
post #42 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
I'm a weather geek, and your weather up there is nothing compared to the heat down here in our subtropical climate. No comparison really. We had our hottest summer on record last year, and our AC broke in the middle of it. It was miserable...you really can't know what it's like unless you experience it. The average temp including daily highs AND lows was 90 for two months straight. That is hot.
I don't know where you live but I do know that in the summer here it is 30C+ plus high humidity for 2 straight months of the year. We are also experiencing record highs.

Anyway I just thought those articles were really interesting that's all.
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
I don't know here you live but I do know that in the summer here it is 30C+ plus high humidity for 2 straight months of the year. We are also experiencing record highs.

Anyway I just thought those articles were really interesting that's all.
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that it's hard to imagine the heat that parts of the world have if you don't really have any experience with it.

From a website on Ontario,
Quote:
The average temperatures in July range from 23 C (74 F) in Southwestern Ontario, to 19 C (64 F) in Eastern Ontario.
It may get into the high 80s or even the low 90s during the summer where you are, but the average temp is still quite low, which means that you get lower temps at night and breaks in the daytime heat, too. Imagine the worst heat wave you've ever had and then imagine it even hotter and that it lasts from May through September/October without a break.

The articles were interesting, though!
post #44 of 53
last summer I went without thinking my Central Air was broken, turned out it just needed a new filter . When I do use it, I turn it on at night during non-peak hours (I also don't do laundry or run heavy machinery during peak hours or ozone action days), then I keep the house completely closed, shades drawn until it gets too warm (maybe around 3 in the afternoon depending), if possible I again wait until after peak hours to turn it back on, and depending where the sun is I open windows to air out house. I keep my bills pretty low this way
post #45 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that it's hard to imagine the heat that parts of the world have if you don't really have any experience with it.

From a website on Ontario,


It may get into the high 80s or even the low 90s during the summer where you are, but the average temp is still quite low, which means that you get lower temps at night and breaks in the daytime heat, too. Imagine the worst heat wave you've ever had and then imagine it even hotter and that it lasts from May through September/October without a break.

The articles were interesting, though!
That website says that those are the seasonal lows, not highs. Websites have been know to be inaccurate from time to time.

Right now on my deck in the sun it is 37C/99F. And don't forget to add 5-10C to that for the humidity. Did I mention it's May?

Yes the articles were interesting. I am glad I planted trees when I moved in. In a few years my house will be so cool.
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisApril View Post
That website says that those are the seasonal lows, not highs. Websites have been know to be inaccurate from time to time.

Right now on my deck in the sun it is 37C/99F. And don't forget to add 5-10C to that for the humidity. Did I mention it's May?

Yes the articles were interesting. I am glad I planted trees when I moved in. In a few years my house will be so cool.
Actually, it's the average temperature which factors in the daily highs and lows. Just google Ontario temperature averages, and you'll see what I'm talking about as I don't have time right now to find and post links. I also did a quick look at forecasts for the province, too, and it looks like your heat wave will be breaking soon. Enjoy the 70s you'll be having in the next few days.

All the tall mature trees over my house definitely don't make it cool in summer. Wish they did but not in this climate.
post #47 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Actually, it's the average temperature which factors in the daily highs and lows. Just google Ontario temperature averages, and you'll see what I'm talking about as I don't have time right now to find and post links. I also did a quick look at forecasts for the province, too, and it looks like your heat wave will be breaking soon. Enjoy the 70s you'll be having in the next few days.

All the tall mature trees over my house definitely don't make it cool in summer. Wish they did but not in this climate.
Will do.
post #48 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Sage View Post
Actually, it's the average temperature which factors in the daily highs and lows. Just google Ontario temperature averages, and you'll see what I'm talking about as I don't have time right now to find and post links. I also did a quick look at forecasts for the province, too, and it looks like your heat wave will be breaking soon. Enjoy the 70s you'll be having in the next few days.

All the tall mature trees over my house definitely don't make it cool in summer. Wish they did but not in this climate.
i have lived in Savanna GA and i will say that MN and GA have a lot in common with heat. i think diff people have diff feeling about were they live and the heat there. no need to prove what is worse.. it is what it is and it is not the same to everyone.
post #49 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post
i have lived in Savanna GA and i will say that MN and GA have a lot in common with heat. i think diff people have diff feeling about were they live and the heat there. no need to prove what is worse.. it is what it is and it is not the same to everyone.
I was only pointing out that the climates are different, which they are, no matter one's personal feelings about them.
post #50 of 53
81. In Iowa, so we get some humid days. I figure it is summer time and we are supposed to be warmer than we are in winter I feel guilty using the extra energy if I set it any lower. I will however set it a degree or two lower for special guests. Basement is much cooler.
post #51 of 53
Ahh, this is one of those questions that so subjective (even though it seems it should be objective).

We live in the South. We keep ours around 77 during the day and raise it up to 80 at night in the parts of the house we're not sleeping. I should mention, however, that the temp I set it at has a lot less to do with the ambient air temperature and more to do with the humidity. This spring I had to drop it a couple of degrees cooler because the A/C wasn't running frequently enough to pull the moisture out of the air. Now that it's hotter and the A/C runs regularly that's not an issue.

When I live in Boston I went without A/C. There would typically be two or three miserably hot weeks in the summer, but for the most part, I could do just fine with the windows open and some fans running.

Humidity makes a HUGE difference in comfort levels. And it makes a difference to your home too. I had a friend who turned the A/C off while she was out of town for the summer--when she came back there was mold growing in the back of closets and on her clothes. A/C isn't really a luxury in the South.

Not to mention, thermostats are not all that accurate. You can't really rely on it to tell you the temperature inside your house and definitely not in comparison to anyone else's. Just set it where you feel comfortable and if that feels wasteful to you, bump it up a few degrees from that point.
post #52 of 53
Usually it's at 70. Our house is only 1000 sq ft so it's about $150-$175 to run it during the summer.
post #53 of 53
I live outside of Tampa, Florida. So really hot, and crazy sticky awful humid: check: got both!

We keep it set at 82 during the day, and turn it down to 79 at night, with the ceilfing fan on medium when we go to bed.

Our house is made of cement, and it is well -shaded (for the most part). I also line dry all of our clothes and rarely use the oven, so that helps to cut down on accidentally heating the house. When I get warm while cooking, I just drag our upright fan to the kitchen and it works great. We also use compact flourescents, and turn the computer off whenever we aren't using it. ETA our house is about 1000 sf.

I am convinced you can acclimate to the heat. Our a/c went out a few weeks ago (before it got hideously humid) and with the fans and tank tops and shorts, we were ok. I was glad when it was fixed though!

I am, however, mericless about using as much a/c in the cars as I want to! Even so, I often need to take a quick, cool shower right before bed.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Mindful Home
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Natural Living › The Mindful Home › What temp for central A/C?