or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Moving Temporarily to State with Later Cut-off Date--WWYD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Moving Temporarily to State with Later Cut-off Date--WWYD?

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
DS2's bday is in mid-September. Where we live now, there is a September 1st cut-off date--so this year, he was in PK3. (Montessori Public School...have PK3, PK4, and K in one classroom). Next year, he'd be doing another year of PK, and then moving on to Kindy the following year.

Where we're moving for the next two years, has a December cut-off date. So, he's eligible for Kindergarten. Most likely, we'll only be there a few years before moving back to our September 1st state.

I spoke with his PK teacher, and she says, he's ready for Kindergarten-level work, and already does a lot of the Kindy stuff. But, I can't help but wonder if another year of PK (or just staying home) may benefit him socially.

WWYD? Would you move him to Kindy, knowing that he can probably handle the work? Or wait a year--so that he's more on track with his classmates when he gets back?
post #2 of 20
I would generally tend to hold a boy back if he's got such a late birthday, but of course it really depends on the child.
post #3 of 20
And I would send him
post #4 of 20
I think you should send him and pull him out if you don't think it is working, especially since the preschool teacher thinks he is ready. Kids act differently at school so for her to think he is ready probably means she has taken the social aspect into consideration.
post #5 of 20
I'd wait (I teach pre-k in a state with a Dec cut off)
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
And I would send him
Me too.
post #7 of 20
I'd send him.
post #8 of 20
If he's doing K work now, send him. Unless you're going to be moving back soon enough that you will be up against the cutoffs and he would end up repeating.

This actually happened to me (I have a late september b-day.) The summer after my first year in preschool my family moved to a state with a late cutoff so I attended kindergarten. The next summer we moved back to the state with the early cutoff which was both for k and 1st (5 by Sept 15th for K and 6 by Sept 15th for 1st.) Since I missed the 1st grade cutoff by 2 weeks I had to repeat K. K is not nearly as fun the second time around.
post #9 of 20
I would make the decision based on the what is best for him next year and not look further down the line.

Although you plan to move back in two years, nothing is ever set in stone.

Every Kindergarten is a little different, every preschool is a little different, so I would look at the exact options that you actually have rather than going by what it is called, go from there.
post #10 of 20
I ould definitely send him.
post #11 of 20
What about his emotional and social readiness? If he's ready emotionally, socially, and academically, I'd send him. If he's not ready in any one of these areas, I'd not send him.
post #12 of 20
I would lean toward sending him.

If it does not work out, you can send him 'again', but with a Sept birthday around here most if not all kids go to K- waiting is NOT common.

Ask around in your area, some areas are high on 'waiting/holding' younger Bdays and some are not so that would influence the classroom dynamics.

If you wait he may be a newly 6 yr old in a class with 4.75 yr olds....developmentally he may be 'bored' or just plain interested in other things that younger kids are into.

I know in our area there is a LARGE young 5s/fall late summer Birthday group going into K for whatever reason there were a lot more than normal births that time of year than usual (my OB said it was due to the very active hurricane season at that time---the barometric pressure changes can induce labor). My DDs have an Oct Bday and we are in a state with a Dec cut-off. They are going to K.

Also check and see if they have a young 5s program (we do in our area) that you can apply for and it is free. BUT you have to test 'in' and be a late Bday. My girls had a late Bday, but passed the K screening test with flying colors and were not offered a spot in young 5s. They will be 4y 10m when they start school. Some of their peers will be 4y 9m. Very few will be older than 5y 7m since it is very uncommon to 'hold' kids that are eligible. Sometimes K kids repeat K if they are not mature or academically keeping up- it is much more common to do this than for a 6 y old to start K here.

We also have 1/2 or all day K- parent choice. So you could do 1/2 this year and then see if you want to do all day K or on to 1st.

If he has the skills, I would be inclined to send him and take it from there.

My best advice would be to call and get details on the area- the programs, the age norms, the tendency to 'wait' or not are all very different. Then go by what you know about your child and how he would fit into the environment of that area.

*the tendency to 'wait' or not can vary county to county or even school district to district.*

In MI---it is fairly common to wait or 'red shirt' kids in some more Metro-Detroit areas or around Ann Arbor, but where we live, it is not common at all. I know of noone that has a late summer/Fall birthday (we know of at least 10-12 Fall Bdays that are going into K with my DDs as part of their PreK class or friends/neighbors) that is waiting, part of it is economic. Many parents in our area are both working and simply can not afford another year of PreK.


There are no 'right or wrong' choices---it matters what is right for him in the given circumstances.
post #13 of 20
I think it depends on your child and the area you are moving to. We have a December cut off date and I can honestly say that I only know 2 kids with fall birthdays that went to regular K this year. All of the others were held back in either preschool or developmental kindergarten (and will then move on to regular K next year) or at home. Starting K at 6 is more common here than not.

I would also check into the expectations in the kindergarten you are going to send him to and make sure they align with what his current preK teacher is assessing him on since the expectations can vary from state to state and area to area. Good luck with your decision!
post #14 of 20
I would send him ESPECIALLY if he is going into another Montessori school.
post #15 of 20
I'd send him. But we just made this decision for our girls (oldest will go to 2nd, youngest to K this upcoming year). I spent a lot of time and energy looking up research, talking to my friends who are teachers and making sure that it was what was right for each of them individually.

If you search for 'redshirting' here on mdc it opens a whole host of threads on this topic. You can also google 'redshirt kindergarten studies' and a ton of articles, including some studies done on this topic will pop up. You can interpret them for yourself and how they will apply to your son.

Good luck!
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks everybody.

Saw my Aunt over Memorial Day who taught PK-1st grade for 20 years. She knows my son very well. She says he's definitely ready--and should definitely go. Another year out and he'll be bored to pieces.

So, I guess that's what we'll do. I'll send him... and if it doesn't work out, I can always pull him out.
\
Thanks for all of your advice Mamas.

I grew up in Michigan, and was always one of the youngest in my class with an October bday. It was never an issue for me, but I've head it can be with boys.
post #17 of 20
Coming in late but wanted to say that both my kids are young for grade (a girl and a boy) and we wouldn't change a thing. We've actually seen a lot of problems arise now that people are routinely holding back their children. In my DS's kindie class, there were TWO kids who turned SEVEN before the school year ended!

For a handful of kids, keeping them out an extra year is great. Most are ready and should go!
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post
And I would send him

Me too. Who really knows where you may be in two years and if he starts now he'll be with kids his own age in the new town. And where he moves back, he will be just fine.
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
Thanks everybody.

Saw my Aunt over Memorial Day who taught PK-1st grade for 20 years. She knows my son very well. She says he's definitely ready--and should definitely go. Another year out and he'll be bored to pieces.

So, I guess that's what we'll do. I'll send him... and if it doesn't work out, I can always pull him out.
\
Thanks for all of your advice Mamas.

I grew up in Michigan, and was always one of the youngest in my class with an October bday. It was never an issue for me, but I've head it can be with boys.
Has she taught recently? Things have changed DRAMATICALLY in the past ten years. I'm a teacher (Pre-K through fourth grade,) and I'm still stunned at how different kindergarten is. My son's birthday is six weeks before our district's new kindergarten cut off date. He'll be repeating kindergarten next year. Which isn't that big of a deal to me, although it does make me a little sad.
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polliwog View Post
Has she taught recently? Things have changed DRAMATICALLY in the past ten years. I'm a teacher (Pre-K through fourth grade,) and I'm still stunned at how different kindergarten is. My son's birthday is six weeks before our district's new kindergarten cut off date. He'll be repeating kindergarten next year. Which isn't that big of a deal to me, although it does make me a little sad.
Yes, she retired about two years ago.

My eldest is just completing first grade and I'm also shocked at how academic things are. He's finishing up the year and is expected to be able to write a short story, and read well. Of course, not all of the kids are at that level, but I think being a year older has helped him. He entered kindergarten reading well--which I think was key. His younger brother is a beginner reader, but not at the level his brother was--which is giving me pause. Still, I think we may try it--knowing that we can always pull out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Learning at School
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Childhood and Beyond › Education › Learning at School › Moving Temporarily to State with Later Cut-off Date--WWYD?