or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Alaska and Hawaii › Alaskans Chat: Jump for Joy its June
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alaskans Chat: Jump for Joy its June

post #1 of 127
Thread Starter 
It's June. Can you believe it???
post #2 of 127
Can I join the thread? DH is military and we recently learned we'll be relocatin to Alaska, just outside of Anchorage (Elmendorf AFB). I don't know too much about Alaska and would love to learn some more.

I am a SAHM who practices extended breastfeeding and babywearing. My older son will be 3 in August and has some delays and an autism spectrum diagnosis. My younger son is 1, and is also high needs. My husband has been deployed so I have been on my own, though he'll be coming home this week, which is helpful since we'll need an extra set of hands for our big move.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.
post #3 of 127
Welcome, Michelle!

So, ladies, how does your garden grow?!

This year, I'm doing more of less... more carrots, more potatoes, several kinds of squash... skipping broccoli, brussels sprouts, and anything else that flopped last year. Just starting to get sprouts on the peas, cabbages, beets, radishes, lettuces, I've got one bright red strawberry and a bunch of green...

My hubby just finished building a bed along the front porch, I need to get a truckload of dirt and plan my flowers for that. Any tips for clematis? I want climbers on one or two of the posts. What else would you put in a part sun (northeast/blocked by my neighbor for part of the day) perennial bed? Peonies? Azaleas? I'm thinking low maintenance with loads of color... not a huge tulip fan.
post #4 of 127
Happy June everyone!

Welcome Michelle!

Garden...all we are doing this year is a flower bed I don't have time/energy for much else. The kids want to do some veggies but I'm not sure if it would be too late to start those?

If anyone in the valley is interested, the monthly Mat-Su car seat check is this Saturday, from 9-1, at Alaska Sales & Service.
post #5 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie0417 View Post
Can I join the thread? DH is military and we recently learned we'll be relocatin to Alaska, just outside of Anchorage (Elmendorf AFB). I don't know too much about Alaska and would love to learn some more.

I am a SAHM who practices extended breastfeeding and babywearing. My older son will be 3 in August and has some delays and an autism spectrum diagnosis. My younger son is 1, and is also high needs. My husband has been deployed so I have been on my own, though he'll be coming home this week, which is helpful since we'll need an extra set of hands for our big move.

I look forward to getting to know everyone.
I have one son that has delays.. we have gotten quite a bit of help for him for free.. The kind of help we recieved depended on his age though.. his pediatrician recommended for eval because he was speech delayed, so for a while we got a speech therapist and then an occupational therapist that came to our home once a week. When he got to be 4, he started SPED headstart with the Anchorage School District- partly I think to acclimate him to small group settings to get him ready for Kindy..
post #6 of 127
welcome!!

I just got 15 yards of top soil dumped at our house for my garden! Took $40 and 2 teenagers to fill my raised bed garden but DANG it looks AWESOME!
I will be planting from starters this year, last year we tried to start some in hydroponics with a soil transfer and that flopped big time. This year it's back to good ol' black dirt!
I'll stoked! Got my Doula money and I am buying some plants this weekend.

So....I have tomatoes and hot peppers in my green house growing very well.

Excited!
post #7 of 127
Whoa, so, busy times here...we were planning on taking our trip starting next week, but Hubby got ancy so guess what we're leaving on friday. Yeah, like 36 hours from now. I've been crazy sewing for the last two days to finish up a couple of etsy orders I needed to get out (they're done, I just have to mail them tomorrow). Then just the cooking/laundry/packing to actually get us out the door.

Anyway, 1stimestar suggested some kind of potluck or something in Fbx, but we'll be there I think the 8th or 9th (so middle of the week). If you still want to pull something together just call me (I PMed you our cell number).


OK, must go be productive.
post #8 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Anyway, 1stimestar suggested some kind of potluck or something in Fbx, but we'll be there I think the 8th or 9th (so middle of the week). If you still want to pull something together just call me (I PMed you our cell number).
our family is heading to Homer on the 10th DH won a free halibut charter at the outdoor show in April so we're heading down there to do that and dig up some clams with the kids while we're at it

It'll be kind of a whirlwind trip and we're looking for good places to camp along the way (anywhere good between Anchorage and Homer?) and when we get down there. Ideas?

We're pretty excited, the kids haven't ever seen the ocean and the kids and I are heading to Boston in 3 weeks to work on my Masters for 5 weeks, so it will be a fun family vacation before I go.

We just did potatoes and carrots in the garden since I will be gone most of the summer but I couldn't help myself and filled my greenhouse with tomatoes, figured at worst my husband won't water them enough and they'll be a bit wilty when I get home.

Happy summer everyone!
post #9 of 127
Quote:
It'll be kind of a whirlwind trip and we're looking for good places to camp along the way (anywhere good between Anchorage and Homer?) and when we get down there. Ideas?
cooper landing is a nice spot to camp. we will be in fairbanks next week also!
post #10 of 127
Thread Starter 
Well we had a visit from the chicken pox fairy this week. DS had a high fever (103-104.5) all day last night. This morning he woke up covered in spots. We went to the doctors this afternoon to confirm it. Now I'm just hoping baby girl gets it soon to minimize the disruption (as in more time off work tending sickies).

In other news, I have lots of raspberry stems that are either getting transplanted in other gardens or cut down. And I discovered I have a number of bee balm/Monarda sp. volunteers (these are the violet/blue flowers). If anybody in the Anchorage area is interested in either please PM me. It's on the late side for raspberry transplants - but probably okay to survive, just not necessarily produce fruit this year.
post #11 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
our family is heading to Homer on the 10th DH won a free halibut charter at the outdoor show in April so we're heading down there to do that and dig up some clams with the kids while we're at it

It'll be kind of a whirlwind trip and we're looking for good places to camp along the way (anywhere good between Anchorage and Homer?) and when we get down there. Ideas?

We're pretty excited, the kids haven't ever seen the ocean and the kids and I are heading to Boston in 3 weeks to work on my Masters for 5 weeks, so it will be a fun family vacation before I go.

We just did potatoes and carrots in the garden since I will be gone most of the summer but I couldn't help myself and filled my greenhouse with tomatoes, figured at worst my husband won't water them enough and they'll be a bit wilty when I get home.

Happy summer everyone!

We just got back from a cute place called J&J smart charters. They have some adorable cabins that over look the water and have amazing views of the volcano! http://www.smartcharters.com/camping.htm
post #12 of 127
New Thread ~ New Announcement

The Alaska Birth Network is having it's first Annual Fundraiser/Garage Sale THIS weekend!
It will be at 6431 Norm Drive on Saturday and possibly Sunday from 9am - 2pm

Birth Baby and Beyond ~

Also accepting donations for sellable items, all donations are 100% tax deductible!
Contact me through my profile or by email for details. (roadfamily6now@hotmail.com)
post #13 of 127
Welcome, Michelle!

And how the heck is it June? We're leaving for the Lower 48 on the 7th.

And I'm feeling baby kicks as I type this.

How's that for a random fly-by post?
post #14 of 127
Okie dokie! How about a get together on Wed.? What park does anyone prefer? How about Growden? Wed. at 3:00?
post #15 of 127
I can't beleive it is June already.

I filled my greenhouse full of cucumbers, zuccinis and tomatoes and i Just got my potatoes in the garden last night. I still need to get some more and get the beets and rutabagas in the ground.

Happy Planting Everyone.
post #16 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
cooper landing is a nice spot to camp. we will be in fairbanks next week also!
Thanks! Do you know if they have fishing or that sort of thing there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We just got back from a cute place called J&J smart charters. They have some adorable cabins that over look the water and have amazing views of the volcano! http://www.smartcharters.com/camping.htm
This place looks great, thank you!
post #17 of 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Okie dokie! How about a get together on Wed.? What park does anyone prefer? How about Growden? Wed. at 3:00?
Would Tues. be better? It would be better for brightonwoman, so unless it would make anyone miss it altogether, let's go for Tues.

My daughter is dying for a playdate. She is 8 and LOVEs babies. So who is planning on coming and what age of kids do you have? My 11 year old son will also be coming. Anyone want me to bring some henna?
post #18 of 127
Liza,

Are you up for a pox party? My kids need to get it.

PM if so.
post #19 of 127
Thread Starter 

Pox Party

I'm not organized enough for a pox party - especially with a sickie & 6 month old soon to be sickie. And I'm trying not to over-stimulate DS with lots of kids at once. However we are having some folks over.

I'm working during the day Fri - but will be up to something in the evening. Sat & Sun are mostly open for us as well, except DD sleeps until late morning. If you are interested in some viral goodies...

New: Okay, so i decided it's easier just to post some pox party/playdate times and hope kiddos cooperate.

Friday 6 pm (DH works late, we have a weird schedule)
Sat. 3 pm
Sun. 3 pm

-PM me if you want to come & when. If you want, bring a snack to share (pass around?) - but please no dairy (allergic kiddos). i have a fairly large backyard with swingset & sandbox, hopefully weather will cooperate. I'm near AK Regional in Anchorage. include your personal email or phone in an email. I get PM notices in my email at work, but can't reply via MDC at work.
post #20 of 127
Good luck with the pox party. Wish someone up here would get them.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Alaska and Hawaii
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Welcome to Mothering! › Connect With Other Moms › Moms In Your Area › Alaska and Hawaii › Alaskans Chat: Jump for Joy its June