Originally Posted by chellebee
Maybe you could wait until you get back.
I totally understand your shell shocked feeling. We had DS off just dairy and corn, but he defintiely wasn't100% still so we did that exact testing....welp, he came back very reactive to way more than we were bargining for!
As for how long...we're tentatively doing 2 weeks here unless we feel like we need more time to see results/get to baseline.
I am new to all this, so I could be off, but I thought that if you aren't eating a food it is more likely to throw a false neg on the test? DS was corn and dairy free before doing the test and those are the ONLY two major allergens that didn't come back highly reactive. I did trial dairy to see if we could get it back, but he had dairy 2x and it was clear to us that he can't handle it. Corn was eliminated a couple weeks before the test due to elimination and challenge so I *know* he has issues with that one. Just wanted to throw that in there as far as the gluten/dairy stuff goes for you.
Yeah, I know that not eating the food can throw the test results – he has had some exposure to dairy, I guess, when eating out (just doesn’t eat anything obviously that has or is dairy) and has been exposed to lactose in various supplements, and has had wheat exposure through soy sauce, a stolen nip of his sister’s bread, etc. His results for soy and corn were no reaction, and these are in his diet on a regular basis– and whole wheat was very low with low exposure. For other allergens, he has not had any nuts or fish/seafood – those did not show a reaction either. I guess in a way I can use the results for dairy/gluten as a baseline?
This whole drama began when he was on IV antibiotic for 48 hours at 2 weeks of age for an infected umbilical stump, followed by a week of oral antibiotics. He had the typical diarrhea associated with antibiotics. I supplemented him with Culturelle during the oral antibiotics. For one week after the oral antibiotics, he had normal stools, and then he had his first green, mucous-y stool. I had been waiting for the other shoe to drop so to speak, so that’s when I took dairy out of my diet, since it was the most likely culprit. DS continued to have green mucous-y stool, with the occasional speck of blood. So I had energy allergy testing (NEAT) done on both of us (DS at 2months, for me 2 months after that) – we both showed sensitive to dairy/gluten, as well as a few other things (couple of fruits, veggies, etc.)
After about 10 weeks to 2 months of STRICT avoidance of ALL dairy and ALL gluten (even trace), we both retested and tested clear of ALL previous sensitivities. It was at that point that I added some gluten back into my diet (and took/take digestive enzymes specifically for that and/or eat sprouted gluten grains), but continued to keep obvious forms of dairy out of diet (i.e. don’t worry about “hidden” dairy). I never noticed a difference in how I felt after I went off gluten and I didn’t notice any new symptoms after putting it back in my diet in limited amounts. Similar results after going off dairy (but don’t have as many ear/sinus issues as I did have, but that can be attributed to other things in my health history).
After we had the initial NEAT testing, he hasn’t had a green, mucous-y or bloody poop (so not for about two years). The only other antibiotics he has been on was about 1 year ago for MRSA (large abscess in groin area and spiked a fever) about 1 year ago (didn’t respond to home remedies – TTO, manuka honey, etc.).
So, anyhoo…..I guess maybe on my trip I won’t worry about “trace eggs”, but I won’t feed him eggs straight up, and I won’t bake with them either. That might be doable in the short term. And I’ll try to start cleaning up the diet and plan for a strict no egg diet after we get home. That could work…
Thanks for your continued input – it’s keeping me sane ;-P!