My own storyHere's where we are in the process.
I did my 2nd try at IVF as a frozen cycle with no meds, putting 3 blastocysts in back in 2007. 2 of them were good, one was a little less developed, but it was explained to me that the presence of each would up the likelihood that at least one would take. Voila! It did! My daughter was born in 2008.
My daughter is healthy, beautiful, and the greatest blessing in my life. She is now 2 years old and still nurses a few times a day. Upon waking, at nap, and again at bedtime. Sometimes wakes at night to nurse once or twice. Anyway, as my 36th birthday approached a few weeks ago, I started thinking about wanting to try again before too long. Breastfeeding until my girl is ready to stop kept me from thinking about it before. After reading on here and elsewhere, though, I realized it might not have to be an obstacle.
Now here we are in 2010, I'm getting older, have no plans to wean, and want to move ahead with another try. In my consult, doctor initially said, we recommend you wean before moving ahead. I responded with a slew of information from everything I'm reading, as well as my commitment to bf'ing, and asked about the difference in rates of success if I wean or if I don't. Doc didn't have an answer for how it alters statistically. Instead he suggested checking FSH levels, prolactin levels, and an ultrasound.
FSH came back at 5, anything below 15 is normal. Prolactin came back at 12, anything below 25 is normal. Ultrasound showed that I had just ovulated.
I have a saline sonogram scheduled for tomorrow, the last of the screenings we set up. I will look to consult with the doctor after that.
Based on the normal numbers, I'm inclined to cycle in 6 months or so, no intention of weaning. (We're in the middle of selling our house and moving, so I have to wait a few months til we get settled before I am ready to try this!) Doctor seems okay with that, I'll check in with him for sure, but the NURSE is a different story. She keeps pushing the issue, telling me I have to wean before we go ahead, PUSHING.
I imagine many medical providers go with what they already know, rather than being open to latest information and research. I could do with a little less nurse input, I'm consulting the doctor, here, not the nurse!
What are your experiences?
In addition, PGD has come a long way since we first did our IVF 3 years ago. Anyone have experience with PGD? This involves screening the blasts to see which ones are genetically correct. Costs a lot of money!!! But screens out embryos you might otherwise waste time implanting that have no chance of successfully proceeding. In other words, finds the embryos or blasts that have a chance at pregnancy. Also, allows you to put one in at a time with far greater chances of success. This is a biggie for us!
After spending all that money, though, I'm worried about whatever small statistics by which I am decreasing our chances of success by bfing! Round and round we go...
My inclination is to continue nursing, go ahead with the cycle when we are ready, and use PGD as our best odds of success with this.
This is so hard! I'm so glad to read about other people's experiences with the same trying decisions and thoughts. Thanks to all!