Originally Posted by amber87507
I remember when I was younger watching shows like "911" where a mother was giving birth at home and it was treated like a life/death emergency, and since I didnt know anything else, it seemed exactly like that.
Exactly! And if I hadn't read "The Thinking Woman's Guide" I would have also continued to believe what OBs told me:
- eating & drinking in labor can kill your baby (a pediatrician said this to a friend at her shower)
- cEFM is not only safe, not having EFM on continuously could result in a dead baby
- Induction is not only safe, but going beyond 41W is horribly dangerous
- AROM is not only safe, but beneficial
- GBS is horribly dangerous & the ABTs are fine (Oh, and the vaginal exams are risk-free & vital too)
etc. etc. etc.
Sad. Just sad. It's one thing if people have fear of birth after
being educated (like in the case of agoraphobia - I would imagine those people, intellectually
realize the world isn't that dangerous, but that doesn't stop the fear.) Fear is an emotion & emotions are difficult to control & often won't be tamed by reason, facts & logic.
But it's the fact that people are so IGNORANT about birth - they simply DON'T KNOW simple facts that I find so dreadfully sad.