or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2010 › Holy cr...I mean, we may be making progress on a name.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Holy cr...I mean, we may be making progress on a name.

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 
Anyone have any thoughts about the name Ellison (for a boy)? It's listed as a boy's name on most of the baby sites but many of the comments on those sites say it sounds like a girl's name/like Allison (which also used to be a boy's name, but anyway).

It's not in the top 1000 for either sex, but appeared briefly in the late 19th/early 20th century, for males. The only real-life semi-recent example of an Ellison (as a first name) I am aware of is Ellison Onizuka, one of the Challenger astronauts. No girls/women. It's also the last name of Harlan Ellison, a famously misanthropic though hilarious science fiction writer (so both of those origins fit our geekdom very well--we considered Harlan as a first name but that was the one we can't use because it sounds too much like my stepdaughter's name). Also African-American novelist Ralph Ellison ("The Invisible Man") and Oracle CEO Larry Ellison (who once inspired a book titled: "The Difference Between God and Larry Ellison: *God Doesn't Think He's Larry Ellison").

It does work with my husband's last name, and can be proceeded with "Senator," though I suspect there may be too much temptation to pronounce it Allison.

So...thoughts? Weird nicknames that could arise that we didn't think of? Too feminine? (Everything we've floated as a middle name is obviously male, if that helps.)

Thanks!!!
post #2 of 20
I like Ellison.

And yes, Harlan Ellison was a hoot... he once suggested just building a huge wall around the Middle east and said we should peek in every ten years and see if they are still fighting. Needless to say, he was uninvited some places after that.

http://chazarmaveth.blogspot.com/200...-part-iii.html
post #3 of 20
I love Ellison!!!
post #4 of 20
I approve! It's definitely masculine sounding to me
post #5 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
I like Ellison.

And yes, Harlan Ellison was a hoot... he once suggested just building a huge wall around the Middle east and said we should peek in every ten years and see if they are still fighting. Needless to say, he was uninvited some places after that.

http://chazarmaveth.blogspot.com/200...-part-iii.html
That whole interview, start to finish, is awesome.
post #6 of 20
Sounds good!
The only famous person it makes me think of is the African-American novelist, Ralph Ellison, so that's a good geeky association.
post #7 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet_ View Post
Sounds good!
The only famous person it makes me think of is the African-American novelist, Ralph Ellison, so that's a good geeky association.
Whoops--I corrected my own paragraph above (I had him as "Richard Ellison," who is apparently a cricket player in the UK). Thanks!
post #8 of 20
I like it! Made me think of Harlan Ellison first as well.
post #9 of 20
I like it, and FWIW it reminds me more of Elliot than Allison. That may be because my baby's middle name is going to be Elliot so I'm already primed to hear it, but I still don't think it sounds like Allison.
post #10 of 20
Love it! We are still struggling with a boy's name. . . names are tough! good luck!
post #11 of 20
I like Ellison. You're right - could definitely be a senator.

My first thought was Larry, too, but only because I actually met him at a work thing and, well, the rumors are true. At the same time, he's very successful, so it's not like a Ken Lay connotation or something. I mean, Larry isn't a crook. He's just a ruthless businessperson. (I think it's insecurity masked as an overworking God complex/ a need to prove.) Here's the most important part though - kids his age won't have a clue who Larry is/was. So, don't let Larry stop you!

I don't hear Allison when you say Ellison. I think the eh- and aah- sounds are different enough, especially in the Midwest.

My only fear is that kids might tease him and call him Ellie. Or Ellie Belly. But, kids are mean, and they're guaranteed to make a nickname out of anything to tease other kids for a week or so, and then they move on to another kid. So, I guess, don't let that stop you either.

The name I chose for my baby girl, I think, is THE most gorgeous name in the whole wide world. But people have told me they don't think so. And, um, I don't care! So, what really matters is that YOU love it. (I know, you already knew that.) I like it a lot.
post #12 of 20
Sorry to be a dissenter, but I'm not crazy about it. Even though WE may associate it with a boy (because of the famous people), I can see it sliding (fast) into a girls' only name...like the trend with similar names like Madison, Addison, etc. If a name has the potential to sound feminine, it will become feminine in the next few years, that's my guess.

So if you're ok with that, then I say go for it, but it sounds like you're a bit concerned about it being or becoming a girls' name...
post #13 of 20
I'm all about keeping boys names boys names...don't be afraid of trends! I think it's a great name, and very unusual.

I never have heard of that guy so I have no associations, I just like it!
post #14 of 20
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccalizzie View Post
I like it, and FWIW it reminds me more of Elliot than Allison.
I agree, I like it.
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by atpeace View Post
Sorry to be a dissenter, but I'm not crazy about it. Even though WE may associate it with a boy (because of the famous people), I can see it sliding (fast) into a girls' only name...like the trend with similar names like Madison, Addison, etc. If a name has the potential to sound feminine, it will become feminine in the next few years, that's my guess.

So if you're ok with that, then I say go for it, but it sounds like you're a bit concerned about it being or becoming a girls' name...
No worries about dissent--that's why I posted in the first place!

I don't think we're going to see Ellison, per se, turn into a girls' name in actual practice, because right now it's not really anyone's name. I'm more concerned about whether it would be mistaken as a girl's name in the first place.

Then again...my own name used to be almost exclusively male, and now it's almost exclusively female (and my spelling is 100% female). My stepdaughter's given name doesn't really exist (it's a variant spelling of a Welsh name--so variant you get zero hits on Google), and her nickname (which she uses almost exclusively--most people don't know her given name) is a boy's name in Hindi.

I've met girls named Briann (not bree-ann--pronounced "brian"), Elliott (prior to Scrubs), Charlie, Ryan...no boys named Sue, though.
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoLawyer View Post
no boys named Sue, though.
We keep joking about it!
post #18 of 20
Just got a call from a friend's husband. Their baby girl is here! Healthy, happy, and her name? Ellis Anne ___.
post #19 of 20
I don't think of it as a girl's name. Tho, I think people may have a tendency to want to shorten it to Ellie, which is very girlie, IMO.
I think it's a very strong name. Yes, it would be a good name for a senator! LOL
post #20 of 20
i think the name is cool, but here are my honest concerns about it:

1) ella and elle are around the top TEN for girls names right now, so he will have a name that sounds very similar to a currently super popular feminine name.

2) secondly, it DOES sound very similar to allison, currently more common as a girls' name, though once common as a boys' name.

as for the "feminie" sound, i don't mind that, one of my top name choices for our boys is feminine sounding.....i guess this one being so very close to ella and allison is kinda what concerns me about it.....

that being said, if you guys love it, do it!! our philosophy is it's cool to go with a more unusual first name as long as there is a "classic or normal" middle name baby can use if for some reason he hates his given first name. kind of gives him a safety net, haha! don't we all need one of those sometimes?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: July 2010
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Archives › Pregnancy and Birth Archives › Due Date Clubs 2009 - 2012 › July 2010 › Holy cr...I mean, we may be making progress on a name.