or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat

post #1 of 139
Thread Starter 
Well, since it's almost July, I think it's about time for a new thread, don't you? *Note for any new readers- by "traditional Catholic" we generally mean moms who do their best to stay faithful to the Magisterium.


Cagnew, I'm only halfway through it (The Salvation Controversy), so it hasn't addressed the "no salvation outside of the Church" part yet. But yeah, I tend to agree that that teaching has been really watered down or even ignored since VII So far it's basically corrected a lot of Protestant misconceptions about the Catholic view of Salvation, including things like penance, indulgences, etc. Right now he's addressing Calvinism.

Dh and I went to Latin Mass for the first time last night. It was very lovely. Too bad we only have the opportunity once a month! But we're going to try to attend every time it's offered (Una Voce offers it at a parish 45 minutes away the 4th Sunday of every month). I was a little saddened though that even at a Latin Mass with free chapel veils to borrow, some women still refuse to cover. I don't really understand why... Anyway it was a little confusing, especially for dh, who has no familiarity with Latin (outside of the Agnus Dei and Sanctus). Since I've been doing Latin with dd1 for school I didn't get lost quite so easily

I mentioned before having some issues with our parish, so we've been going to another one, I'm pretty sure we're going to go ahead and officially transfer. We did VBS with our old one and it just confirmed that we're not happy there (other than dd1 doesn't want to make new friends!) We haven't been there in a month and the priest didn't even talk to us or ask us how we've been.

Oh, and prayers for you and the baby, cagnew! Congratulations
post #2 of 139
I had my baby on June 11. Awesome birth. Just wonderful. One of those hospital births no one thinks can happen. Little monitoring, no meds, great nurses, phenomenal HANDS-OFF doc, did my own thing from beginning to end....
sadly, baby was readmitted to the hospital at 4 days old with viral menigitis...hazards of being#9.
Max is fine now, already up to 9lbs from his birth weight of 7-7. Baptized yesterday.

baptism pics;

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com/2010/...of-heaven.html
post #3 of 139
Thread Starter 
Congratulations, Karen!! I had a great hospital vba2c with dd3, anticpating the same this time! He's gorgeous!
post #4 of 139
Just a quick check in and subbing to the new thread.

Prayers for everyone.
post #5 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryBomb View Post


Cagnew, I'm only halfway through it (The Salvation Controversy), so it hasn't addressed the "no salvation outside of the Church" part yet. But yeah, I tend to agree that that teaching has been really watered down or even ignored since VII So far it's basically corrected a lot of Protestant misconceptions about the Catholic view of Salvation, including things like penance, indulgences, etc. Right now he's addressing Calvinism.
We are die hard EENS believers here. I'm glad to see others learning about this. It was being hidden long before Vat. II. Fr. Feeney (1940's and 50's )was excommunicated for refusing to be quiet regarding his teaching of this doctrine.
post #6 of 139
hello all!
just checking in for the summer thread. and I wanted to ask for prayers. i spent last weekend in the psych ward for various reasons. please just keep me in your prayers that i can deal with the issues i am having.

btw- i am going to visit my beau soon, and am looking forward to visiting St. Vincent de Paul in Elkhart, IN. i haven't attended there, yet, but the picture of the altar provided on the website gives me high hopes!
post #7 of 139
Thread Starter 
Prayers for you, PAL! Prayers for the intercession of St. Dymphna, too. Have a good time in Elkhart! Looks like a lovely church!
post #8 of 139
Thanks for starting this thread cherrybomb. I love the latin mass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediumcrunch View Post
I had my baby on June 11. Awesome birth. Just wonderful. One of those hospital births no one thinks can happen. Little monitoring, no meds, great nurses, phenomenal HANDS-OFF doc, did my own thing from beginning to end....
sadly, baby was readmitted to the hospital at 4 days old with viral menigitis...hazards of being#9.
Max is fine now, already up to 9lbs from his birth weight of 7-7. Baptized yesterday.

baptism pics;

http://ninetexans.blogspot.com/2010/...of-heaven.html
Congratulations!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
hello all!
just checking in for the summer thread. and I wanted to ask for prayers. i spent last weekend in the psych ward for various reasons. please just keep me in your prayers that i can deal with the issues i am having.

btw- i am going to visit my beau soon, and am looking forward to visiting St. Vincent de Paul in Elkhart, IN. i haven't attended there, yet, but the picture of the altar provided on the website gives me high hopes!
I am sorry to hear this. Prayers your way.

I am still having a rough go. But doing better now that I have started nasty medication.
post #9 of 139
Hey Mamas! Popping in and subbing. Life has been super busy. I think I missed the last thread entirely. Oh well.

Prayers for you P&L
post #10 of 139
Hi all! Just subbing to the thread... summer is our super busy time (a chance to get outside!) but I saw this thread was fresh, so I'm popping in to say hi!
post #11 of 139
Hi mamas! We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting a new blessing from God! And this child is truly a blessing from God because we were using NFP and were avoiding. I had been praying to Our Lady for some time to ask her to intercede and soften my husband's heart to be open to a new child in our family. This wasn't quite what I had in mind but oh well!

Here's the thing. I'm due at the beginning of March. Lent starts March 9 next year. So should I anticipate a struggle trying to get this baby baptized during Lent?
post #12 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
So should I anticipate a struggle trying to get this baby baptized during Lent?
Canon law is on YOUR side. It calls for having the baby baptised within the first few weeks of life, no exceptions for Lent/Advent/parishes that like 1x a month baptisms.

Here's a link to the book of Canon Law - check out #867

"Can. 867 §1. Parents are obliged to take care that infants are baptized in the first few weeks; as soon as possible after the birth or even before it, they are to go to the pastor to request the sacrament for their child and to be prepared properly for it."

There's no way a DRE/priest can stretch "in the first few weeks" of life to mean "until Lent is over". You can press on this one, if you encounter resistance, and win. I've had several Lenten babies... all baptised during Lent.
post #13 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post
Canon law is on YOUR side. It calls for having the baby baptised within the first few weeks of life, no exceptions for Lent/Advent/parishes that like 1x a month baptisms.

Here's a link to the book of Canon Law - check out #867

"Can. 867 §1. Parents are obliged to take care that infants are baptized in the first few weeks; as soon as possible after the birth or even before it, they are to go to the pastor to request the sacrament for their child and to be prepared properly for it."

There's no way a DRE/priest can stretch "in the first few weeks" of life to mean "until Lent is over". You can press on this one, if you encounter resistance, and win. I've had several Lenten babies... all baptised during Lent.
Wonderful! Thanks so much for finding this for me! I was dreading the thought of having to possibly wait all of Lent before we could baptize.
post #14 of 139
MediumCrunch - Congrats on the babe! So glad he is healthy again.

P&L - So sorry about your recent struggles. I hope things improve for you quickly.

Ladies, I need some help too. I am so tired, I have no idea how some of you have several children with more on the way. I have three now 5 and under and my DH is gone M-F for his job and I just feel absolutely nuts some days. I know that I do not want any more children. I just don't. I didn't feel this way after the births of my first two but I feel done, done, done now. And I know that isn't a good enough reason to avoid pregnancy, just not wanting to take on more children. I don't have a grave reason, I am just tired and ready to move on.

Have any of you faced this? As a reminder, I converted and my husband did not - he is still agnostic. He is ready to go for a V and I have to admit I haven't been all that negative about it, I've just left the issue alone which I know is a cop out. I haven't gotten my cycle back yet (which is amazing b/c it was back quickly after the first two) but I am literally POAS weekly in fear that I am going to get pregnant again way too soon.

I love my babes, I just think my body needs a break both physically and mentally. Andy advice?
post #15 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
Hi mamas! We found out a few weeks ago that we are expecting a new blessing from God!
Congratulations.
post #16 of 139
Thread Starter 
Congratulations, Annie!

Charbeau, do you use NFP and have you taken a class? I think the sense of terror is greatly reduced when you really know what's going on with your cycles and you've got an instructor to talk with. I use Creighton Model and I'm very confident in my ability to space children. Toddlers are difficult. My oldest two are turning 9 and 5 shortly and my youngest is 2. It's much easier, I think, than dealing with many small children.
post #17 of 139
just checking in! I've been gone for awhile, busy with my baby Francis and my older ones home for summer vacation.
post #18 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charbeau View Post
MediumCrunch - Congrats on the babe! So glad he is healthy again.

P&L - So sorry about your recent struggles. I hope things improve for you quickly.

Ladies, I need some help too. I am so tired, I have no idea how some of you have several children with more on the way. I have three now 5 and under and my DH is gone M-F for his job and I just feel absolutely nuts some days. I know that I do not want any more children. I just don't. I didn't feel this way after the births of my first two but I feel done, done, done now. And I know that isn't a good enough reason to avoid pregnancy, just not wanting to take on more children. I don't have a grave reason, I am just tired and ready to move on.

Have any of you faced this? As a reminder, I converted and my husband did not - he is still agnostic. He is ready to go for a V and I have to admit I haven't been all that negative about it, I've just left the issue alone which I know is a cop out. I haven't gotten my cycle back yet (which is amazing b/c it was back quickly after the first two) but I am literally POAS weekly in fear that I am going to get pregnant again way too soon.

I love my babes, I just think my body needs a break both physically and mentally. Andy advice?
I teach NFP and I think that a mama's physical and mental health are a grave reason to avoid. You also have a duty to the existing family. So if adding another child right now would cause more strain and problems to mama and family, I think it's reasonable to avoid.
post #19 of 139
Thank you all for your prayers.
I have been attending a therapy group, and will soon be seeing a therapist one-on-one. I think that is what I need right now.
When I move to Elkhart, however, I will be looking into going to a Catholic therapist/counselor.
post #20 of 139
Hi. I have popped in here a few times since I had my first baby. Now #2 is 9 months and I think I need to stick here a bit more.

I have a question for all of you. I really need help in figuring out how to maintain my spiritual health while being an AP parent. I miss silent prayer and having really good prayerful masses so much. I am really struggling with some personal issues, as well as our family is in our own crisis right now. As I write I'm in my hotel room with my kids napping at a Steubenville Conference. Mass this morning was amazing...my husband took the kids in the back while I sat up front. It was prayer time that I've been needing for so long...but I was sitting there thinking that I need this more than once a year. I was here last year, too.

My son is going through some serious separation anxiety, does not nap well, and doesn't sleep well alone at all. We cosleep, which I'm happy doing, but even when we put the kids to bed at night I have such a short window of quiet time. Anyway, I'm absolutely exhausted, I know that I need more prayer in my life...but I just don't know how to get it with these two kids who are so attached to me.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat