or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat - Page 3

post #41 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by philia View Post
How many of you wear a veil to mass ? Do traditional Catholics still wear a veil ?
we do
post #42 of 139
I did, until both my scarf and my mantilla disappeared.
I feel naked without it.
post #43 of 139
Hi Mamas.
Just asking for some big time prayers to Heaven, and possibly St. Dymphna. My husband and I have been separated for 8+ months, and it's time to start really acting on things. I am a very private person, and don't generally like to share my stories, but it's come to reaching out to like-minded Catholic mamas here for prayers.
Thanks.
God Bless.
post #44 of 139
My son is being baptized! It's official

September 12th is the big day and I'm so overjoyed. I meet with the Priest next week to discuss the particulars

Does anyone have any experience with having an older child baptised? My son has just turned 6. What should he wear? I imagine it must be white...

He has been saying a prayer every night before bed and is really looking forward to being baptized. It's neat that he has some understanding of the process an recognizes at least some of the significance.

Thanks for reading. Just had to share
post #45 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adya View Post
Hi Mamas.
Just asking for some big time prayers to Heaven, and possibly St. Dymphna. My husband and I have been separated for 8+ months, and it's time to start really acting on things. I am a very private person, and don't generally like to share my stories, but it's come to reaching out to like-minded Catholic mamas here for prayers.
Thanks.
God Bless.
: I'm sorry. I've been through it, I know it's difficult.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspersmommy View Post
My son is being baptized! It's official

September 12th is the big day and I'm so overjoyed. I meet with the Priest next week to discuss the particulars

Does anyone have any experience with having an older child baptised? My son has just turned 6. What should he wear? I imagine it must be white...

He has been saying a prayer every night before bed and is really looking forward to being baptized. It's neat that he has some understanding of the process an recognizes at least some of the significance.

Thanks for reading. Just had to share
Congratulations!

Older kids in our parish who are baptised usually have some kind of age-appropriate, brief prep/instruction with our DRE.

Your son doesn't have to be head-to-toe in white. He can simply wear a white dress shirt, or a dark suit with a white armband, or a white dress jacket.

Again, congrats!
post #46 of 139
Adya: hugs: and prayers!

Cherrybomb: Are you okay? Were you able to find help? Money trouble just plain sucks We live paycheck to paycheck... just enough to cover our bills (and we live very simply). I hate trying to grocery shop because the budget is so tight. I try to remember that having no money to spend helps keep me from being materialistic and strengthens my faith b/c I have to rely on God... but some days its hard. This month we had to come up with money for brakes and rotors and propane. Ouch. *sigh* It's just crummy when you have to save and save just to buy your kids clothes at a consignment sale! Oh well. Anyway, I hope you were able to find help while waiting for the first paycheck. God will always provide.

Jaspersmommy: Congrats! That's wonderful!

Dmitrizmom: How are you doing? If you have any questions or need clarification about doctrine, this is a good place to ask. Hang in there. If you pray for the grace to understand and accept, God will give it to you.

philia: I started wearing a veil at the beginning of this year. My 3 yr old daughter wears one too (and she looks really sweet in it ).
post #47 of 139
I just wanted to say hi. I haven't been a part of this group in awhile (actually I only posted a couple of times before...lol) So I'll say I'm new. I'm so glad we have this group here on MDC. Its nice to know we have support here. Anywho...I'm a young Catholic mama with 2 little boys and a newly converted Catholic husband. We aren't perfect and dont get to church all that often, but its something I want to change about our lives. I'm glad I have the support of other Catholic mamas here. I hope to get to know everyone.
post #48 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaspersmommy View Post
Does anyone have any experience with having an older child baptised? My son has just turned 6. What should he wear? I imagine it must be white...
My DS1 was baptized right after his 6th birthday. He wore a dark suit w/white shirt, and he was given an embroidered white cloth to drape around his shoulders at the baptism. Ask the priest if your son will be given a similar drape. It was wonderful experience for DS1 to be baptized at the same time as his baby brother!

BTW, I have a Jasper, too. One of the most beautiful names in the world, as far as I'm concerned! Folks at church sometimes ask if it's a Catholic name, not realizing that there is a long Catholic tradition for naming the 3 Magi Melchior, Balthasar and Caspar -- which is anglicized to Jasper.
post #49 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplemamaturtle5 View Post
I just wanted to say hi. I haven't been a part of this group in awhile (actually I only posted a couple of times before...lol) So I'll say I'm new. I'm so glad we have this group here on MDC. Its nice to know we have support here. Anywho...I'm a young Catholic mama with 2 little boys and a newly converted Catholic husband. We aren't perfect and dont get to church all that often, but its something I want to change about our lives. I'm glad I have the support of other Catholic mamas here. I hope to get to know everyone.
Welcome! We aren't perfect either, but we can work on it together!
post #50 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay View Post
My DS1 was baptized right after his 6th birthday. He wore a dark suit w/white shirt, and he was given an embroidered white cloth to drape around his shoulders at the baptism. Ask the priest if your son will be given a similar drape. It was wonderful experience for DS1 to be baptized at the same time as his baby brother!
Usually, the "drape" is called a stole.
post #51 of 139
I just realized that I haven't subscribed to this thread so have missed out on a while.
I wanted to let you ladies know that we found out on friday that we lost our baby. I am 16wks. They believe it was due to fifths disease that I contracted in the first tri. We went in for an u/s to monitor blood flow and the baby had been gone a few weeks. My body is doing absolutely nothing to birth this baby so I will be getting induced tomorrow with mosoprostil. Luckily my dr has agreed for it to happen at home under the care of my midwife. I am really nervous about the whole thing.
Please pray for us. I would really like the baby to be as intact as possible. We will be having a burial sometime this week. Our priest has been wonderful.
Many of you know how hesitant we were about this pg and we had finally come to accept another little one into our family and now this. I am absolutely devistated but am pretty numb right now. I will keep you all posted.
post #52 of 139
Prayers to you and your family, Nicole. I'm so sorry.
post #53 of 139
Oh Nicole!
post #54 of 139
Had our baby boy today. Best case scenario for sure. Took 4 1/2 for the medicine to start working at all so I was worried but then I had light contractions for 1/2 hr then heavier for 1/2 hr then went to the bathroom and he dropped right into my hand. Dh was stepping out of the shower and saw the whole thing. He was intact and beautiful. It was so wonderful to get the opportunity to hold him and spend time with him. We will be doing a family burial at the catholic cemetary near our parish. Maybe it hasn't hit me yet but although I am extremely sad I am amazingly at peace.
Thank you all for your prayers.
We named him Emeric
post #55 of 139
Thread Starter 
Nicole.
post #56 of 139
So sorry, Nicole. Prayers for comfort and healing.
post #57 of 139
I'm so sorry for your loss, Nicole.
post #58 of 139
Since DD was a toddler, I have been stocking a "Mass bag" with those St. Joseph carry-along books, magnet sets, and other quiet, Christian themed toys that were for use only during Mass. She's always sat with me, but never really paid attention, you know? I look around and children her age are not paying attention either, but at least they aren't coloring Noah's ark!

She told me this week she doesn't like going to Mass because it's too long, she can't see, and she doesn't like being quiet. So we moved up to the very front and I redoubled my efforts to explain what was going on in a quiet voice (she has LOTS of books for kids about the Mass--she KNOWS what's going on!)

And I think it's high time I started bringing DS (13 months) which will be a challenge in itself. DH has said he might start coming once in a while, but I need a plan so that I can manage both of them appropriately.

Ideas? How do I break away from the "Mass is play time" habit? Or will she grow out of it and I should concentrate on just keeping her quiet and explaining what I can?
post #59 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboysmama View Post
I wanted to let you ladies know that we found out on friday that we lost our baby. I am 16wks. They believe it was due to fifths disease that I contracted in the first tri.
I am very very sorry.

Cherrybomb are you okay?
post #60 of 139
Pls continue to pray for our family. We r really struggling right now. Not only are we grieving the death of our son but now we hav to figure out what we r going to do about our fertility. Dh an I r not in agreement. We r meeting w a priest on Sunday and in a couple of wks r doing a NFP review.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Spirituality
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Talk Amongst Ourselves › Spirituality › Traditional Catholic Moms Summer 2010 chat