or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum - Page 7

post #121 of 580
KJ - she sometimes eats rice. But we go long periods of time where we don't eat rice. Actually, last night was probably the first time in 3 or 4 weeks.

At some point I fear that I am going to have to go to some extreme elimination diet and slowly introduce foods again. But I am flumoxed about this because of the neocate. But if corn is an issue - and we think it is - than the neocate wouldn't have really helped either.

I guess that is the problem - I don't know how to proceed in a way to clearly figure out what foods she has an intolerance to and which ones are okay.

Karen
post #122 of 580
Can you remind me how old Scout is, Karen?
Would it be possible (since I think you're not nursing?) to put HER on a ED? I mean, let's be frank- she's not eating much right now, is she?
The other option, if you would consider it, is to put her on a strict 4 day rotation diet. Both options, of course, require DH and other care providers be "on board" as well as food journaling.
post #123 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Mmmm.... brownies. I just made the chocolate version of the buckwheat waffles this morning (per DS's request, after the kitchen was finally put back together).

I am grilling chicken and have corn on the cob, but what else should I make? I made potato salad sat (5 lbs!) and it's gone, so not doing that...maybe a pasta salad?
What about JR's 4-bean salad? I just made some for the neighborhood potluck on Sunday. Yum.

Whine Alert:
So went to the doctor on Friday. Got done 4:30pm. She said I needed to schedule a pre-op physical with my regular doctor before the outpatient surgery next week. So I called yesterday, of course they were closed for the holiday. I called today, and the appointments lady is yelling at me because it's supposed to be made 2 weeks in advance of the surgery to allow time for bloodwork to come back (and an EKG they said - what?). Like it's my fault that the surgeon wants to do it so soon. So I'm driving the 3 hours home tonight for a 6pm appt, then back again. DH says while I'm home to grab a couple more fans. And it's 100F here and I just want to lay in the lake. I rarely get in the water before August and it has to be really hot for me to get into my bathing suit, since it gives me back spasms, but yesterday I went in the lake 3 times!!

So I just threw a pork roast in the slow cooker (new recipe, no measurements) for the family to eat tonight while I'm gone. And told DH to make some frozen lima beans to go with it. And left a list of safe snacks for the kids. I don't know what I'm going to eat while traveling. I'm also getting ready to send the 2 older kids to Granny Camp on Sunday, so I made a double batch of the waffles this morning so I could freeze some to go with him. And MIL requested 2 loaves of bread for him, so I have to bake those this week too. Got to love baking when it's 100F out. And DD2 will want some of the bread, so I guess I have to make 3 loaves, and I only have 2 loaf pans. Gah. Whine, whine, whine.[/QUOTE]

Hugs Kathy. Sorry the doctors are being such pains. Are they going to remove the lump even though its benign? I feel like I missed the answer to this question.

And I hear you on the heat. We are at a lake in NH. The first two nights I had some meals frozen. Tonight I have to cook. Yuck. It is sooooo hot out. You and I should schedule a spa date at the spa in the Berkshires.
post #124 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyscoutmom View Post
KJ - she sometimes eats rice. But we go long periods of time where we don't eat rice. Actually, last night was probably the first time in 3 or 4 weeks.

At some point I fear that I am going to have to go to some extreme elimination diet and slowly introduce foods again. But I am flumoxed about this because of the neocate. But if corn is an issue - and we think it is - than the neocate wouldn't have really helped either.

I guess that is the problem - I don't know how to proceed in a way to clearly figure out what foods she has an intolerance to and which ones are okay.

Karen
I feel fluxomed most days. I just can't figure out what going on. And I was just looking at an old photo album from when DS was a yyear and younger. He was chubby then. His face was so round. Now its so angular.
post #125 of 580
to everyone that needs them.
And, Kathy, if you didn't whine occasionally, it might be difficult to remember that you're human. Or something like that.
Went to bed "early" (11pm) got up semi-late (7am). Still exhausted. And looking at that makes me realize just how little sleep I normally run on. Oh well. Who, at the end of life, says "I wish I'd slept more"?
post #126 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Which raw pudding was it? Love to try.
It was in a recent issue of Mothering mag, there was an article about raw foods. I'll just give you the ingredients, so I'm not breaking copyright rules:
1 avocado, 1/2 banana (I used a whole one, but it turned out pretty sweet and banana-y; next time I'll start with 1/2), 1/4c cocoa, 1/4 honey, 1T coconut oil (I used olive); food processor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chlobo View Post
Hugs Kathy. Sorry the doctors are being such pains. Are they going to remove the lump even though its benign? I feel like I missed the answer to this question.
I think I missed that too! Is that what the surgery is for? Hope it all goes smoothly.

I'm cleaning and cooking and doing laundry like mad before our heat wave starts (supposed to be upper 80's all week, which I know isn't that hot, but when you go from 50's to 80's almost overnight it can be pretty unbearable!)

So I had a serious moment last night. Right around the time (beginning of this year, I think) that I suddenly gained 15 pounds and my crazy fatigue started, was about the time that DD was losing weight for the first time ever. And the time that we did all her testing which showed the elevated oxalates and all that stuff. I didn't put it all together until yesterday (when I was putting all her blood tests results into a spreadsheet, 'cause I'm a nerd like that ) and saw that her WBC were a little elevated at that time as well. They weren't out of the normal range, but they were higher than they'd ever been before or since then. Strange. And since then, my fatigue has slightly improved and DD has gained a bunch of weight, and her oxalates are back in the normal range. So higher WBC makes me think infection, right? But what kind of infection would cause me to be fatigued and gain weight, and pass through breastmilk, and raise DD's WBC and her oxalate levels? I still need to dig through old food journals and see if I can spot anything that stands out, but I thought it was interesting.
post #127 of 580
Is that 1/4 CUP honey, CS?! Holy tamales!! I find that to be a lot of honey too (and I consider myself to have an exceptional sweet tooth)! I'd probably use half of that. Of course, I'd probably use half the cocoa too so...
post #128 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Is that 1/4 CUP honey, CS?! Holy tamales!! I find that to be a lot of honey too (and I consider myself to have an exceptional sweet tooth)! I'd probably use half of that. Of course, I'd probably use half the cocoa too so...
Yep! And along with using more banana than called for, it was CRAZY sweet. DP thought it was perfect though- tasted just like regular pudding. Definitely do not use less cocoa- it was really nice and chocolaty. I'm going to make it again this afternoon with 2 big avocados and 1 big banana. I'll start with 1/4c honey for that double recipe and go from there.

OH- I think the recipe called for vanilla too Carren- I forgot about that. Maybe 1T?
post #129 of 580
Oh yeah- and me and Tanya are (tentatively) going to the zoo tomorrow!

And the water/sand table is coming along nicely. It's turning into a longer project (as my projects always do!) because I keep making changes to my design as I'm building. But I think it's going to turn out really nice. I'm just torn now on what to do to finish it. I was originally thinking of getting some bright, primary colors and painting it all up. But the top(sides) of the table are a really nice piece of cedar, and it seems a shame to cover that up. But... it's going to be outside on the (covered, but leaky) back porch as well as having water in it, so it definitely needs something. Votes? Paint or stain or just a clear finish??
post #130 of 580
I vote clear finish but I wood... The hazards of being a woodworker's daughter. Lumber stores make me miss my dad. (where's the bitter-sweet smiley?)
post #131 of 580
Yeah, it really is a gorgeous piece of wood. At least the top is... the legs are just regular 2'x4's, not so exciting. But on the other hand, I was really looking forward to painting some cool design on the table. Such a hard decision. I'll post pics when I have it all put together.
post #132 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yeah, it really is a gorgeous piece of wood. At least the top is... the legs are just regular 2'x4's, not so exciting. But on the other hand, I was really looking forward to painting some cool design on the table. Such a hard decision. I'll post pics when I have it all put together.
Paint a design and then clear coat it?
post #133 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
It was in a recent issue of Mothering mag, there was an article about raw foods. I'll just give you the ingredients, so I'm not breaking copyright rules:
1 avocado, 1/2 banana (I used a whole one, but it turned out pretty sweet and banana-y; next time I'll start with 1/2), 1/4c cocoa, 1/4 honey, 1T coconut oil (I used olive); food processor.
THAT'S the recipe? My friend (I almost wrote "here in Houston" when I'm on Camano Island right now), but my friend in my homeschooling group wrote that article. I have horrible luck with actually _receiving_ Mothering magazine, so I haven't seen it, but Jen told me about it. So cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Oh yeah- and me and Tanya are (tentatively) going to the zoo tomorrow!
I just emailed about my zoo-warm weather-parking wimpiness, so I'm really hoping that a park is okay. Any place, I'm figuring, if the kids are all happy, we can play a good chunk of the day.
post #134 of 580
Have fun Tanya and CS!

Just got the samples today Tanya - thanks so much. I am too hot to try it on the boys. and my youngest is much too cranky.

Carren - have an appointment with your craniopath on Friday. Sounds like he has a lot of patients with my oldest's issues so good to know this might be old hat for him. fingers crossed. He is going to contact our insurance and see if they will pay. But DH and I agreed that it will be cheaper to do this than have braces, which he will clearly need if we don't do something.

I am so miserably hot that I am a little embarrassed by how cranky I am.

Kathy - your lake house sounds so wonderful. I really wish that we had something like that.
post #135 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
Yep! And along with using more banana than called for, it was CRAZY sweet. DP thought it was perfect though- tasted just like regular pudding. Definitely do not use less cocoa- it was really nice and chocolaty. I'm going to make it again this afternoon with 2 big avocados and 1 big banana. I'll start with 1/4c honey for that double recipe and go from there.

OH- I think the recipe called for vanilla too Carren- I forgot about that. Maybe 1T?
I made recipe a few months ago from a blogger I was following. I'll have to try to remember where I put the recipe because I don't remember so much honey but ya it tasted just like chocolate pudding YUM!
post #136 of 580
Tanya or Whome or both If I'm lucky JR said you guys would know

My new HCP recommend I take glycine for blood sugar issues. JR explained a little about to me but I'm curious what you ladies know about it? Is it usually recommended for blood sugar issues?
post #137 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacquelineR View Post
Paint a design and then clear coat it?
This is why I love you. You're a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
THAT'S the recipe? My friend (I almost wrote "here in Houston" when I'm on Camano Island right now), but my friend in my homeschooling group wrote that article. I have horrible luck with actually _receiving_ Mothering magazine, so I haven't seen it, but Jen told me about it. So cool!



I just emailed about my zoo-warm weather-parking wimpiness, so I'm really hoping that a park is okay. Any place, I'm figuring, if the kids are all happy, we can play a good chunk of the day.
That's really funny! I made some more of the pudding today, and used less honey and it tastes just as sweet to me. Maybe it could use less cocoa... maybe it's just too rich for me. (Not that I'm complaining- it's delicious! I just can't eat as much in one sitting as I want to. )

lol- I emailed you back, but I'm thinking that anywhere outdoors with children tomorrow is going to be crazy parking (and just crazy in general!), since we have a heat wave (for Seattle) coming.
post #138 of 580
mmmmm... just finishing off the batch of molasses cookies (leftover dough from last night.)

Ack. And now I totally forgot what I came here to post.
post #139 of 580
CS, emailed back, the zoo sounds good. It's well-shaded IIRC, should be lots of fun. To bed with me very, very soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom61508 View Post
Tanya or Whome or both If I'm lucky JR said you guys would know

My new HCP recommend I take glycine for blood sugar issues. JR explained a little about to me but I'm curious what you ladies know about it? Is it usually recommended for blood sugar issues?
I don't know a lot about glycine. How much is your HCP suggesting? Some people use it in lower dosages as liver support (I think it's liver support), I am using higher doses, 1000 mg at a time, multiple times a day, and it's inducing a lot of detox in me. I don't understand why, though--Cutler says it's not supposed to (maybe the dosage is the bigger factor there)--it seems to be an amino acid conjugation thing (for detox stuff) though why supplementing gets additional stuff mobilized, well, I don't get that. It's supposed to be a very simple amino acid, very basic, which makes me confused about how I got messed up wrt it. I don't remember stuff about blood sugar and glycine, but blood sugar isn't one of my big things--at least I'm only slowly, gradually addressing it in DH, and in mostly roundabout ways. So I'm not very efficient at it.

Less than helpful, I know. Betcha Shannon knows more.
post #140 of 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanyalynn View Post
CS, emailed back, the zoo sounds good. It's well-shaded IIRC, should be lots of fun. To bed with me very, very soon!



I don't know a lot about glycine. How much is your HCP suggesting? Some people use it in lower dosages as liver support (I think it's liver support), I am using higher doses, 1000 mg at a time, multiple times a day, and it's inducing a lot of detox in me. I don't understand why, though--Cutler says it's not supposed to (maybe the dosage is the bigger factor there)--it seems to be an amino acid conjugation thing (for detox stuff) though why supplementing gets additional stuff mobilized, well, I don't get that. It's supposed to be a very simple amino acid, very basic, which makes me confused about how I got messed up wrt it. I don't remember stuff about blood sugar and glycine, but blood sugar isn't one of my big things--at least I'm only slowly, gradually addressing it in DH, and in mostly roundabout ways. So I'm not very efficient at it.

Less than helpful, I know. Betcha Shannon knows more.
Glycine is used in synthesis of serine (as well as AMP synthesis). Serine helps to detox insecticides as well as activating certain glutamate receptors (which additionally require more glycine).
Does any of that give you a piece of your puzzle? (Just a quick little Google synopsis.)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Allergies
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Mom › Women's Health  › Allergies › Juicy July Chat in the Allergy Forum