or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › An induction or c-section for a truly big baby?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

An induction or c-section for a truly big baby? - Page 3

post #41 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccinosmom View Post
What about giving labor a try and having c-section as a backup plan (it is anyway, afterall, in hospital births)?
Personally, I would want to wait to at least 40 wks to induce. Especially if the dates are off, a couple weeks can make so much difference to lung development.
post #42 of 60
I thought you were gonna say your babe was 13lbs...9 lbs is not huge, 10 pounds is not huge, yeah it's big but people have those size babies all the time. I would never induce/section for myself, I would always give labor a go.
post #43 of 60
I think the ability of the mom to move freely to whatever position she feels comfortable in(and it might not please the staff, oh well) and avoiding being either on her back or semi-sitting, has more of a bearing on dealing with SD than the size of the baby, per se. I have seen 12 lbers birthed fine at home, and know one lady personally in another state who said her 13 lb boy was her easiest birth(also a homebirth). Also nuchal arm/hand can slow things down a little. But if mom has room to move and get on hands/knees, or however she feels comfy, she can birth a really big baby without distocia...and homebirth midwives are trained to help deal with/avoid SD, whereas most docs get a little panicky....a cesarean might cause lung problems further down the road, perhaps?
post #44 of 60
Thread Starter 
An ultrasound at 6w2d exactly matched my regular 28d cycle, charted (sympto thermal) ovulation date, and the night we ruptured a condom!! I am VERY sure of the dates for this pregnancy.

I understand, I'm not looking at 13lbs...but possibly over 12lbs by 40 weeks. I was not thinking monsterously huge...My title was more to indicate that I have a high degree of trust in these estimations for weight (for many arguable reasons, which I was not interested in debating) ie. Assuming it is true that he is big...induce, or c-section?

9 1/2 lbs at 36 weeks is very big...off the top of the chart big.
Since my largest babe to date was only 8.5lbs (and I worked HARD for him), 11lbs is as large as I will attempt. My intuition will not stop bugging me when I am considering a weight above 11lbs...But, I really would like to deliver vaginally.
My mother, mother in law, and various sisters in law on both sides have all had babes in the 6-8lb range, at term, spontanious labor. Within the sphere of personal experience and history there is a norm and an outside of norm for an individual.

My question is, what order do the risks of my various options fall into?
Is it better to A. induce+deliver earlier, risking induction and lung and liver maturity,or B. carry untill I go into active labor, but have no confidence in my ability to physically deliver because of my son's size and opt for a c-section, or C. trust that the moon stars and my pelvis will line up in such a way as I'll be able to vaginally deliver him (without injury to him or serious injury to me) no matter what his head and shoulder measurements may be?
post #45 of 60
C.
post #46 of 60
I absolutely vote wait for early labor and then get the c-sec.

If you have these kinds of doubts, it will be problematic in your labor. If you truly can't wait for labor to start do to an uncooperative care provider, can you schedule for 39 weeks or so?
post #47 of 60
I would say C.
post #48 of 60
I haven't seen all the other replies, but I'm sure most of them say neither. As a mom pg. after the loss of a newborn, I know that it's different after a loss. You aren't as willing to accept low odds because you've lived through being that "small" statistic.

That said, if this baby is anywhere near as big as my son who died, I will be considering an induction. I was measuring 40 cm 6-7 weeks before his birth. He was over 10lbs. and NOT fat or squishy. Totally bones/muscles. His shoulders got stuck, his x-rays showed a cracked collarbone that was bad, not just a little fracture, but almost split in half. Knowing he suffered that on top of the rest of his problems is hard. I won't do that to another child.

I say do what you think is best- I personally would go for the induction IF my body was ready to deliver. But I just wanted to say that after a loss or birth injury there is a different perspective.
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post
I haven't seen all the other replies, but I'm sure most of them say neither. As a mom pg. after the loss of a newborn, I know that it's different after a loss. You aren't as willing to accept low odds because you've lived through being that "small" statistic.

That said, if this baby is anywhere near as big as my son who died, I will be considering an induction. I was measuring 40 cm 6-7 weeks before his birth. He was over 10lbs. and NOT fat or squishy. Totally bones/muscles. His shoulders got stuck, his x-rays showed a cracked collarbone that was bad, not just a little fracture, but almost split in half. Knowing he suffered that on top of the rest of his problems is hard. I won't do that to another child.

I say do what you think is best- I personally would go for the induction IF my body was ready to deliver. But I just wanted to say that after a loss or birth injury there is a different perspective.
I am so sorry for your loss. I've had the giant framed babies as well, one of whom had a SD that could easily have been fatal. And I know how much my perspective altered from that experience.
post #50 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by sept04mama View Post
I haven't seen all the other replies, but I'm sure most of them say neither. As a mom pg. after the loss of a newborn, I know that it's different after a loss. You aren't as willing to accept low odds because you've lived through being that "small" statistic.

That said, if this baby is anywhere near as big as my son who died, I will be considering an induction. I was measuring 40 cm 6-7 weeks before his birth. He was over 10lbs. and NOT fat or squishy. Totally bones/muscles. His shoulders got stuck, his x-rays showed a cracked collarbone that was bad, not just a little fracture, but almost split in half. Knowing he suffered that on top of the rest of his problems is hard. I won't do that to another child.

I say do what you think is best- I personally would go for the induction IF my body was ready to deliver. But I just wanted to say that after a loss or birth injury there is a different perspective.
Totally agree with you. I vote induction as well.
post #51 of 60
Thread Starter 
Had my weekly ob appointment this afternoon...It appears my placenta is weighing in on the issue too, and may wind up making the decision for me. Fasting glucose has been dropping (which I know CAN indicate placental deteroration) but I have been ignoring it. BP is up, swelling is WAY worse and I am spilling +2 on the urine dip for protein.
Doing a 24hr urine plus all the misc lab draws, and adding twice weekly NSTs and ob visits to my life!
Will know the results on Monday or Tuesday am.
post #52 of 60
Thread Starter 
Sept04mama
I am so sorry for your loss...Yes, loss definately colors your perspective and re-frames how you do things and think things through.

I really do feel reasonably confident that I could birth up to 11lbs, but beyond that my intuitition really won't allow me to seriously consider it, and that 'voice' is as important...maybe more so than any dr, or natural birth philosophy. I've been around farm animals all of my life. I know that occasionally things simply don't fit.
post #53 of 60
I know you will make the choice that is right for your baby - I look forward to hearing the good news of his birth.
post #54 of 60
Whatever your gut speaks loudest, go with it Mama.
I've been induced with pit 3 times. My 3rd birth, dd #2 was a requested induction if you will, at 39 weeks (after I swore to never be induced again). My gut was telling me something wasn't right, her movements were different, I was smaller and my day and night dreams were filled with visions of cord, knots and absent fluid. My mw knew and I knew that the baby needed to come. Had a nst and they tried tell me all was well, though it took 45 mins and juice and coersion for reactive strip, the fluid check was less than 1.5 and all the tech saw was cord. She couldn't find 1 good pocket for measure.
I went immediately for induction and dd was born safely 14 hours later. I ahd continuous monitoring because I needed to hear her and so did my mw. I would have been in for c/s in an instant given the situation and that was ok by me, my 'voice' was that loud. It's amazing she tolerated the labor and birth as she did.
She was born with an incredibly looong cord. My mw had never seen anything like it and was truly amazed, dd waswrapped and wrapped over and over with neuchal x3 also had 2 true knots, both pulled tight and begining to turn white, 1 snug between her legs, the other under an arm, and very, very little fluid in spite of the IVs for hydration throughout the induction. I don't mean this as a scary birth story, that's not my intention, just that in reality we don't know exactly what is happening in there. We only have our guts and our guesses.
You're right on with your 'voice' and yes, sometimes things just don't fit. A farm girl myself, I've seen that.
All will be well Mama, however baby gets here. It sounds like you are very concious with the reality of your ability and limits.
Mama.
I look forward to his birth story .
post #55 of 60
:

I'm on my 4th diabetic pregnancy (insulin)... having had three other GD (insulin, glyburide) pregnancies.

I was induced for DS1 and DD1. DS2 came on his own before my scheduled induction. DS2 was 9 lbs. 12 oz. and DD was 9 lbs. 14 oz.

I think based on what you're telling me, I would plan on keeping baby in as long as possible... even if it meant a c-section at 39 weeks. I would talk to my OB about perhaps another u/s at that time, and considering trying to induce if things didn't seem too big.

One thing I would wonder about is if you are going for the c-section anyway... can you wait until labor starts on his own to have it?? In that way, your baby gets all the necessary hormones, etc. to help prepare him to breathe on his own... plus you "know" that he was ready to come out. I don't know if there are issues with c-sections and larger babies, though... or if you are prone to quick labors, etc.

I think your intuition is the most important thing, though. So if you are leaning towards a c-section being safest for you and baby, then go with it. You can find some good c-section birth plans here on MDC that can help make the experience as positive as possible for you and baby.

Good luck... and may you have a healthy baby and good birth experience no matter what his size and how he comes out.
post #56 of 60
Given that inductions frequently end in csection anyway, I'd keep baby in as long as possible and opt for the csection. (I've had 2 easy vag births and one csection - surgical birth was no fun, not emergency, but medically necessary. I would have LOVED to not have it, but I know it was the right thing to do -this was my 3rd and last baby, so it was very sad for me, but healthy baby is most important. I did all I could to have a 3rd natural birth, but it just didn't work). It sounds like the decision will need to be made sooner rather than later. Good luck!
post #57 of 60
Just an update, 2sweetboysmom had her baby with an induction on July 13.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1244374
post #58 of 60


Thanks for the update. So glad her induction was a success and that she and the little one are doing well.

post #59 of 60
Congrats to the OP! Glad they are both fine.
post #60 of 60
Yay!! Thanks for the update!

Congrats, 2sweetboysmom!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Birth and Beyond
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Pregnancy and Birth › Birth and Beyond › An induction or c-section for a truly big baby?