or Connect
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › What furniture do we really need?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What furniture do we really need? - Page 2

post #21 of 48
Really, the only thing that I really wound up using was the rocking chair. I have baskets for his clothes and his diapers, a diaper pail, we put the mattress on the floor and I sleep with him there, change him there or on the couch.
post #22 of 48
if i had to do it all over again i'd get a glider.
i personally hated them, thought they were ugly, saw no need...
but my friend had one and ohhhhhh so comfy. unlike a rocker (which we have) gliding happens so effortlessly (make sure to get the ottoman!) and being in it actually put my sleep-fightin kid to sleep.
i still troll craigslist every now and then for one.
post #23 of 48
changing table was essential for us
and we use the lower shelf for baby's clothes

and a crib- we sidecarred ours and I like it

It is also nice to have a nice place to put the baby down on the ground- like a cozy mat type thing.
We have this one :http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/snugglewool.htm and I usually lay a soft blanket or sheet over it

As ds got to be about 6 weeks on we also found g great use for a half high chair :
http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=3867646
we took the tray off and use it for a place for ds to sit- we put it on a table or counter so he is eye level
for an example here is a picture of my ds in the chair- about a month ago
(when he was 3 months old!) http://i725.photobucket.com/albums/w...giraffe003.jpg

added edit- I saw other people mentioned the swing- I think of that more as gear than furniture but also from about 6 weeks on we found it useful.
post #24 of 48
1. Crib - used it since 3 month old - DD needs her space to sleep. I tried so many times to co-sleep then finally gave up. Now we both sleep well!
2. Dresser - holds DD's clothes/diapers plus we have a changing pad on top of it.
3. Glider & ottoman - being used daily even now DD is 19 mo.
4. I do have my old desk in DD's room and put diaper genie and trash can etc on top so DD can't get to them
post #25 of 48
The only specifically "baby" furniture we have is a changing table. My dad made it for us and we love it! It has two shelves underneath which hold all her nappy-related equiment (I bought some nice baskets in different sizes) and a slide out shelf on the side for things currently in use - nappy cream, snappis, wipes. We also have a lamp on it for night time changes and a radio cos she loves to bop away to music on the table. We also hung the mobile she was given over it as we don't have a cot.

We use a big chest of drawers we already had for her clothes but if we hadn't had that then we would have got something. It is nice to keep everything together - clothes, bunny rugs, towels, clothes which are too big. For her carriers we got a couple of those hooks which go over the top of the door and they all hang behind the door in her room.

We didn't buy our exercise ball for her (already had it) but it is great for settling her. In fact she and DH are bouncing right now

We didn't even consider buying a swing, I planned to babywear all the time, but J likes her space sometimes so we had been laying her on the lounge and sitting with her. Then our neighbour very sweetly turned up on the doorstep one day with the swing her nine month old had grown out of and, of course, it wouls have been very churlish of me to say "Thanks but no thanks". Turns out J loves it! We still do playtime on the lounge but, now and then, when she is really fractious the swing settles her instantly when we can't.

Anything we weren't sure if we'd need or not we decided not to buy until we needed it. We did do some research on big things like cots and prams so we weren't starting from scratch if we had a baby who hated co-sleeping or babywearing and we needed something quickly but, so far, we haven't needed to buy anything else.

All the best with your preparations. We had so much fun getting ready for our gorgeous girl, I hope you do too.
post #26 of 48
we didn't buy any furniture.

we cosleep in a king-sized bed.

i EC, but when i have to change a diaper, i do it on the floor; i keep the diapers in a basket (i own 12 cloth trainers currently; on average, i used the same 12 diapers before we moved to the trainers, though i owned far more that just stayed unused) and i keep them in the bathroom. if he needed one, i would grab it on the way out of the toilet, and then change him on the floor. now he stands, so he steps into it (he's nearly two).

his clothes were kept in my dresser. i was only using 2-3 drawers anyway, so he got the other 2-3 drawers. in our current family dresser, he has one drawer, i have one, and DH has two, then we have one for socks, underwear with three dividers in it--DH, DS, and myself.

i tend to prefer to sit on the ground, so i did that, or i would just sit on our furniture. i didn't need to rock or bounce my son much. walking can put him out, if need be, but that's a rare need for him. he's always been a very calm, happy, great sleeping baby.

I personally feel like it is best to hold off until you know what you need. put the money aside, and when the baby arrives, you'll figure out what works for you and be able to get it. Unless you have to special order the crib (eg, my friend's bought there's through an amish furniture maker; it is gorgeous, but it had to be ordered 3 months in advance), you can easily buy one if you need one and have it delivered within a week. you could probably cosleep an extra week, or just do what granny did: put the baby in a dresser drawer.

this is particularly true of baby wearing things. i *love* my wraps and it's my preferred style of baby wearing, but some babies hate those things, they want the meitei or some such. funny creatures, those babies. so, meet baby wearers, get together and learn how to wear safely, and know you have a resource to try things out.

seriously though, babies don't need all that much to start out with, and when you figure out what you do need and will use, it's easy enough to get. so, that's my advice.
post #27 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
I personally feel like it is best to hold off until you know what you need. put the money aside, and when the baby arrives, you'll figure out what works for you and be able to get it. Unless you have to special order the crib (eg, my friend's bought there's through an amish furniture maker; it is gorgeous, but it had to be ordered 3 months in advance), you can easily buy one if you need one and have it delivered within a week. you could probably cosleep an extra week, or just do what granny did: put the baby in a dresser drawer.

this is particularly true of baby wearing things. i *love* my wraps and it's my preferred style of baby wearing, but some babies hate those things, they want the meitei or some such. funny creatures, those babies. so, meet baby wearers, get together and learn how to wear safely, and know you have a resource to try things out.

seriously though, babies don't need all that much to start out with, and when you figure out what you do need and will use, it's easy enough to get. so, that's my advice.


Aside from a changing table, putting aside money for furniture, or asking relatives to give you money/gift cards instead of actual pieces, and waiting until the baby is there is a great idea. Like the PP, my preferred method of baby wearing is in a woven wrap (not stretchy). But I have like 5 other carriers that we tried out and just didn't work for us. If you can test drive at a store or from a friend who has different types, I'd definitely do that!
post #28 of 48
Absolutely nothing is *essential*. Anything that says otherwise is just trying to sell products.

All of the items out there have a certain usefulness. As you read in this thread, some people found that a particular item was "essential for them" -- but that's a subjective, personal need, not a generality. Other people do just fine without that item.

Even stuff that most people would say are the absolute basics, you don't really *need*. There are ways to not use them. That's not to say they don't come in handy. It's a matter of semantics... if the ways to not use them would be terribly difficult for you as an individual, then go ahead and use them. They're just not *essential*.

You might be interested in a series of blog posts I wrote, "Baby Essentials That Aren't." I address more than just 'furniture', but the whole point of the series was to question the automatic 'need' for various baby items.

You don't need diapers, you can EC. You don't need a crib, you can co-sleep and/or use a floor bed. You don't need a stroller, you can babywear. Etc etc. And you don't need a nursery at all -- just a room that can eventually be theirs when they're old enough to actually appreciate it.

Really the only thing I would suggest for almost every mom as an essential is a sling (or two or three) of some kind. It serves to replace several "furniture items" and is better for baby's development in so many ways, anyway. Once you've got that down, then everything else is just a matter of personal preference!

As for what we used... slings. Got her a toddler-bed (well it's actually bigger than a toddler, but smaller than a twin, it's an IKEA child's bed) for a safe place to sleep on her own once she was a bit older, side-carred it at first, moved it across the room when she was about 20mo, then into her own room just passed 2 years old. Had a bouncy chair, which was handy for showers, but I also took her in with me in a water sling. Didn't use it overly often.

We had a potty (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) for EC. We had a stash of cloth diapers, and training pants, and undies, kept in baskets. Put her clothes in a spare drawer in our dresser until she got her own room.

We used a high chair, but in hindsight I think we didn't even need that. Ours was very simple, none of these 3-reclining-positions garbage jobbies (I mean, WTH? You're not supposed to do solids until the kid is old enough to sit up on their own, it's a major safety hazard to recline a baby while feeding! What's supposed to be the purpose of these?) But when we moved, we switched to a booster seat at the table, and found that just as easy as the high chair had been, and one less big piece of furniture to have around.

Oh, and it isn't "furniture" but you don't need baby food either...
post #29 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl73 View Post
Absolutely nothing is *essential*. Anything that says otherwise is just trying to sell products.

All of the items out there have a certain usefulness. As you read in this thread, some people found that a particular item was "essential for them" -- but that's a subjective, personal need, not a generality. Other people do just fine without that item.

Even stuff that most people would say are the absolute basics, you don't really *need*. There are ways to not use them. That's not to say they don't come in handy. It's a matter of semantics... if the ways to not use them would be terribly difficult for you as an individual, then go ahead and use them. They're just not *essential*.

You might be interested in a series of blog posts I wrote, "Baby Essentials That Aren't." I address more than just 'furniture', but the whole point of the series was to question the automatic 'need' for various baby items.

You don't need diapers, you can EC. You don't need a crib, you can co-sleep and/or use a floor bed. You don't need a stroller, you can babywear. Etc etc. And you don't need a nursery at all -- just a room that can eventually be theirs when they're old enough to actually appreciate it.

Really the only thing I would suggest for almost every mom as an essential is a sling (or two or three) of some kind. It serves to replace several "furniture items" and is better for baby's development in so many ways, anyway. Once you've got that down, then everything else is just a matter of personal preference!

As for what we used... slings. Got her a toddler-bed (well it's actually bigger than a toddler, but smaller than a twin, it's an IKEA child's bed) for a safe place to sleep on her own once she was a bit older, side-carred it at first, moved it across the room when she was about 20mo, then into her own room just passed 2 years old. Had a bouncy chair, which was handy for showers, but I also took her in with me in a water sling. Didn't use it overly often.

We had a potty (Baby Bjorn Little Potty) for EC. We had a stash of cloth diapers, and training pants, and undies, kept in baskets. Put her clothes in a spare drawer in our dresser until she got her own room.

We used a high chair, but in hindsight I think we didn't even need that. Ours was very simple, none of these 3-reclining-positions garbage jobbies (I mean, WTH? You're not supposed to do solids until the kid is old enough to sit up on their own, it's a major safety hazard to recline a baby while feeding! What's supposed to be the purpose of these?) But when we moved, we switched to a booster seat at the table, and found that just as easy as the high chair had been, and one less big piece of furniture to have around.

Oh, and it isn't "furniture" but you don't need baby food either...
Err, if "nothing" is essential, how are you supposed to babywear instead of using a stroller? And what about a carseat? If you have a car and don't have a carseat, that's just a little bit illegal, isn't it?

I get what you're saying, and I agree that there are so many things that are not necessary and are really just marketing ploys, but I think convenience is a great reason to have certain things. I could change Cecilia on the floor, sure. But on the changing table I can change her more quickly and without throwing out my back. I could bounce Cecilia in my arms only when she needs calming, but the balance ball is much more regular and soothing. Why is having items for convenience's sake a bad thing?
post #30 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia's Mama View Post
Err, if "nothing" is essential, how are you supposed to babywear instead of using a stroller? And what about a carseat? If you have a car and don't have a carseat, that's just a little bit illegal, isn't it?
I don't recall saying that you shouldn't get a carseat. The OP was specifically asking about nursery items. I went a little beyond the nursery, true, but not all the way to the car.

I would say that an infant bucket seat is not essential, but of course a car seat is.

And I did say that a sling is about the only thing that I would call "essential" for most people, but when you get right down to it, it isn't essential either. You CAN make do with just carrying your baby all the time rather than using a sling or a stroller. Not that I would recommend it, of course.

Quote:
I get what you're saying, and I agree that there are so many things that are not necessary and are really just marketing ploys, but I think convenience is a great reason to have certain things. I could change Cecilia on the floor, sure. But on the changing table I can change her more quickly and without throwing out my back. I could bounce Cecilia in my arms only when she needs calming, but the balance ball is much more regular and soothing. Why is having items for convenience's sake a bad thing?
If you get what I'm saying, then please don't put words in my mouth. If you re-read my post, you'll see that I said "if the ways to not use them would be terribly difficult for you as an individual, then go ahead and use them."

So at no point did I say "convenience is BAD". I just said these items are not NECESSARY because there are ways to not use them. For some people, not using them is no big deal. For other people, it makes their lives a whole lot easier using them. Making a choice to use something because it is specifically helpful in your specific situation is very different than buying and using something because you think you're "supposed" to, without even considering that there might be alternatives. Maybe the alternative would be better for you, or maybe it wouldn't -- but at least you've made an informed decision.

I found a sling to be incredibly convenient. So was our potty -- and it still is, even at 3.5yo she still sometimes wants to use her little potty. EC was incredibly convenient for us, much easier than changing diapers all the time. Others would disagree with that. We have to be careful, of course, that OUR convenience isn't a negative for the baby (ie, plopping them in a crib and sleep-training them with CIO) -- but I know that's not what we're talking about here. I love things that make my life more convenient.

But many, many people find many of the "essentials" to actually be INconvenient compared to the alternatives, once they think about it. The problem is that we often DON'T think about it, we just go with the status quo. I would find a stroller terribly inconvenient in 90% of situations, and looking around me when I'm out and about at the parents struggling with their strollers, I think they'd agree with me if they actually had the chance to think about it.

It's such a YMMV thing. There are no items that are across the board, essential for EVERY parent. Every items has pros and cons, and there are people who will honestly need a particular item that another person would find a major hassle to use. You use a balance ball and find it extremely helpful -- that's not something you see on any "baby essentials" list and most homes don't even have one. That doesn't make it a bad thing, that makes it an individual thing, and pretty much ALL baby items are individual things.

But I never said convenience is de facto bad, and I never, ever, said 'don't get a carseat'.
post #31 of 48
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth. What I was trying to point out (probably pretty badly) is that the term "essential" itself is what I think differs from person to person. I still think it's a good idea for the OP to consider waiting until her baby comes to see what she needs. What was essential for me or for anyone else might not be for her.
post #32 of 48
I agree with others to wait before buying if you can.

For the first two weeks, Francesca was either in our arms or sleeping on us in our bed. We had some stuff, but just didn't want to put her down. We did try the crib, which is sidecarred to the bed, but she wouldn't sleep in it (though she does now, and I'm very glad to have it).

She "told" us what she wanted. She loved swinging motions that we made and our arms would wear out before she was asleep, so we bought her a swing. She wanted to suck constantly and I was becoming extremely sore from it, so we bought pacifiers. She loved being snuggled tightly and/or worn in the Ergo or Moby to sleep, and so we now use swaddling blankets regularly for sleeping. And so on.

I will say that a dedicated space for changing has been hugely helpful. Our system is a bookshelf that has those cloth bins on it, one bin for blankets, one bin for clothes, one bin for diapers, and one bin for burp rags and such, and then wipes and pacifiers and random odds and ends on top. We have a pack-n-play (mostly because I was afraid of her being trampled by the dog if I left her on the floor) with a bassinet insert and use that as a changing table right next to the shelves. It works for us, and when she's older the bookshelf can go in her room with books on it.
post #33 of 48
honestly...

we have a crib that we don't even use. the only other thing in there is a dresser(which is also not used). all the clothes pretty much end up with my and DH's stuff, it's just easily accessible that way. We used to have a little stand from like 0-2 months that had burp rags, rags, and swaddling blankets on it, but those things too simply ended up with my and DH's stuff. now we don't even use the nursery room much. i go in there maybe once or twice every 2 weeks or so to drag a toy out of there(like the excersaucer, walker, or sometimes on rare occasion the play mat). we have used the room to store those things, and the stroller/swing(that isn't used often anyway, not yet).

i thought i needed a bunch of stuff to make the nursery complete when i was pregnant; i decorated it, had the crib setup, dresser in there, a nice stand with stuff on it, stuffed animals and safari theme... everything... and i soon found out that for us it was hardly worth it. -- we also didn't invest in a changing table(they simply get too expensive, and i doubt the room would have been able to accommodate one anyway). We bought a portable changing table for like $10 at walmart that folds up. if we need it just unfold it and wallah, a changing table, simple as pie.

but ya, a lot of the things i thought i would need when pregnant, or "had to have ASAP" for a nursery... i'm now glad i didn't invest much more than we already had, because to be quite honest, i doubt i would have even used it.

when our baby gets old enough to have his own room then we'll focus more on investing more.
post #34 of 48
I just wanted to say instead of a changing table we got a dresser that you can put a changing pad on. That way it's not a single use type item and you can use it when the child is older.

We got a stroller and find that we hardly ever use it. When we go into a store DS is now big enough to sit in the cart but before then I wore him in a sling or the Ergo or carried him. I've really only found the stroller useful on one ocassion where we went on a long walk outside and DS was content in it. More often that not he doesn't seem to care for it. Again, dependent on the baby.
post #35 of 48
a dresser is a must (tiny socks, shoes, burp clothes, accesories, etc don't store well in big closets). I would have liked a rocker glider but we didn't buy one.
The babe slept with us until they went into their own bed. We changed diapers on our bed (had a waterproof pad), on the couch or on the floor. We had a changing pad for the dresser but liked the baby laying in front of us vs. to the side.

We were gifted a pack and play and crib that were never used. We decorated a room that stored clothes and diapers since the baby was never in there. We finally packed away the crib after a year. It was more of a storage room than anything. Though each family is different.

Baby gear we used and loved- swing with music, stroller for long walks (for naps or bedtime), slings & carriers, bouncy chair (though that only lasted maybe 5-6 months), Boppy nursing pillow (though haven't tried other brands), space saver high chair once babe is eating solids (a purchase that can be made later on). Baby gear that ended up being a waste of money- diaper genie (even before we switched to cloth it was easier to toss in trash instead), bumbo chair and baby gym.

See what gear items you can get used before paying full price or if this is your 1st babe and you know you'll have more babies, buy GN and store it safely. That's what we did for 90% of our stuff.
post #36 of 48
I would buy what you want when you decide that you are going to want to use it. We have no nursery and no furniture for our babies to speak of. We bedshare and I change them right on the bed. Clothes and diapers go into a few baskets on the floor.

We have had a few play seats and jumpers that they can play in before they are mobile.

A glider would be nice if we had the room.
post #37 of 48
I love my changing table! We used it with DS until he was 2! So for us, a changing table, dresser, diaper pail. Somewhere to store diapers can be the laundry basket if you are using cloth (at least that's where mine always stay)

If it is your first child and you don't have pets, I don't think you really need a crib or bassinet in the beginning. Your baby will be small enough to put in the middle of your bed, on the couch, on the floor, or in a laundry basket filled with blankets the first couple months. As you live with your baby you can see what kind of stuff would work best for you. To save money, check out rummage sales and craigslist.
post #38 of 48
Quote:
on the couch, on the floor, or in a laundry basket filled with blankets the first couple months
I hope you don't mean these as suitable sleeping places.
post #39 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitfulmomma View Post
I hope you don't mean these as suitable sleeping places.
no, i meant them as suitable put the baby down so you can make a sandwich or go pee places. and i am obviously talking about newborns that don't roll over or move much and put pillows or other barriers around them...etc...

although my daughter has slept on the floor of the bathroom while I took a bath. and on the couch while i sat next to her on the computer. and in a laundry basket while i played on the floor with my son.
post #40 of 48
Quote:
no, i meant them as suitable put the baby down so you can make a sandwich or go pee places. and i am obviously talking about newborns that don't roll over or move much and put pillows or other barriers around them...etc...
Gotcha... just didn't want some mom wandering by here and thinking a couch was a suitable replacement for a crib or family bed, if ya kwim.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Life With a Baby
Mothering › Mothering Forums › Baby › Life With a Baby › What furniture do we really need?